Frames, Cambridge

Guest marion

Guest marion

Any members remember frequenting Frames in Cambridge. Max Rees at the helm with a vast array of guest DJ's from the Uk in attendance every month. Yet another night out nobody can ever take the memories away and what about the Hills Road Kebab House, to round the night off with.

Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Karen Heath

Any members remember frequenting Frames in Cambridge. Max Rees at the helm with a vast array of guest DJ's from the Uk in attendance every month. Yet another night out nobody can ever take the memories away and what about the Hills Road Kebab House, to round the night off with.

I do! Just the once though I think and I can't for the life of me recall who else was djing-it could have even been Steve Davis or someone like that! I know I went with my boyfriend at the time and my friend Pete Robinson who was living nearby. I do remember that it was a really great night, rammed to the rafters and with a buzzing atmosphere!

What dj's do you remember from the Frames days?

Social source share

Guest marion

Guest DJ's ranged from Bob Jeffries to Bob Jones to Bob Cosby and lots of others in between. The event had a hardcore loyal following who were prepared to travel to Cambridge. Always remember Gavin Page had everyone up dancing by 9pm one night - fond memories, of yet another sadly missed venue.

Social source share

Guest DJ's ranged from Bob Jeffries to Bob Jones to Bob Cosby and lots of others in between. The event had a hardcore loyal following who were prepared to travel to Cambridge. Always remember Gavin Page had everyone up dancing by 9pm one night - fond memories, of yet another sadly missed venue.

Marion don`t forget the night with "Sir Dicky of Searling" making one of his rare outings down South smile.gif

great nights and right on the doorstep as well :thumbsup:

i think this night was the last time that Mick O`Donnel went out to a Soul night :Dwhistling.gif:lamsey:

Dave f...........

Social source share

Guest skorpiano

Ah... brings back memories, does anyone remember TCB soul nights? They started in Sultans (I think), and then move to the awful Route 66 in the Market Square, great music though.

I remember Max Rees, Chris Brown, Giles Petterson and Gary Dennis spinning some seriis tunes there, as well as the TCB lads. Happy days.

What's the scene in Cambridge like today?

Social source share

Guest marion

Oh yes Dave 'Sir Dicky of Searling' he did also venture down south to play in Bedford at a 2 room Doo (in that cinema/bowling complex venue) many years ago and believe it or there only 4 of us on the dance floor......shocking, but I loved it!!! rolleyes.gif

Social source share

• 1 month later...

East Anglia was always the home of quality soul.

Frames - I was mates with Max, Chris Brown, Andy Davies from King's Lynn - loved driving over there in my old Triumph. I think I did the odd set there too.

Then there were places before that, like the Jennings Arms at Denver, the Heron.. (not to mention St Ivo centre, Howard Mallett etc).

Always very drunk, and very, very happy.

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

East Anglia was always the home of quality soul.

Frames - I was mates with Max, Chris Brown, Andy Davies from King's Lynn - loved driving over there in my old Triumph. I think I did the odd set there too.

Then there were places before that, like the Jennings Arms at Denver, the Heron.. (not to mention St Ivo centre, Howard Mallett etc).

Always very drunk, and very, very happy.

Hey Peter!

Do you remember when we came to stay with you to go to Frames, we brought our 3 cats with us? I just remembered! I have photos of your old Triumph from that occasion too. :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Hi Karen

I decided to go public & try to renew a few old friendships I should never have let lapse!

I lost your contact details so thanks for getting in touch again.

Shocked to see the news of Sylvia - she was a beautiful person.

Email me your contact details.

Pete

Glad you are back!

Sylvia was very beautiful-it is a terrible loss.

Will p.m you but you can always click on any members profile on here to send a message.

Social source share

Seem to remember that Steve Hobbs also DJ'd at Frames. Yes, had some good nights there.

Another regular night in the Cambridge area, Defreville Arms (Shelford). Remember seeing many well known DJ's there (Chris Hill, Jeff Young etc).

Ian

Social source share

Guest marion

Defreville Arms - now you are talking, they were days and nights out that were mental to say the least. I used to go with fellow mates from st Neots and meet up with friends from Soham. wicked.gif

And as for Mr Steve Hobbs - excellent DJ - best set ever was in the old 'main room' soul room at southport probably about 10 years ago - he took the roof off and he is playing at 'Without Boundaries' september i think, well worth a visit!

Social source share

• 7 months later...

Ah... brings back memories, does anyone remember TCB soul nights? They started in Sultans (I think), and then move to the awful Route 66 in the Market Square, great music though.

I remember Max Rees, Chris Brown, Giles Petterson and Gary Dennis spinning some seriis tunes there, as well as the TCB lads. Happy days.

Gosh you ve touched a nerve...Remember all that.. Cambridge still has a scene if ypo want to get involved but times are tight

Social source share

Hi Karen

I decided to go public & try to renew a few old friendships I should never have let lapse!

I lost your contact details so thanks for getting in touch again.

Shocked to see the news of Sylvia - she was a beautiful person.

Email me your contact details.

Pete

Message from Max Rees.

He was thrilled that People remember with such fondness but begs that you rememember the Promoters Mush Marshall And Paul Parker For Making All The Difference.He would Love to see Pete Robinson Or at Least The Cat Photos or any photos from these days...he says thanks

Social source share

Marion don`t forget the night with "Sir Dicky of Searling" making one of his rare outings down South :D

great nights and right on the doorstep as well :D

i think this night was the last time that Mick O`Donnel went out to a Soul night :D:shades::P

Dave f...........

Did Mick O Donnel have his Coco ration cut by his Mummy for being out so late?

Social source share

She could eat 3 of those huge donnas and still be a slim as a pencill the next day.

Social source share

Have you still got your TCB Gold Card...It gets you into Nikkis kitchen for eggy toast...

Social source share

Guest skorpiano

Have you still got your TCB Gold Card...It gets you into Nikkis kitchen for eggy toast...

Ah well, I guess I'd better own up, I ran TCB with Richard Murphy, and Nikki Sotudeh!

For my money the best nights we did were at Sultans, although we had some good DJ's at Route 66, I remember Giles Peterson doing a storming set for us back in the mid 80's while the rain poured down outside, one of many great nights.

Managed to tape some of the nights I think, will post them if I ever learn how!

Social source share

Ah well, I guess I'd better own up, I ran TCB with Richard Murphy, and Nikki Sotudeh!

For my money the best nights we did were at Sultans, although we had some good DJ's at Route 66, I remember Giles Peterson doing a storming set for us back in the mid 80's while the rain poured down outside, one of many great nights.

Managed to tape some of the nights I think, will post them if I ever learn how!

they would be great to hear !.... i think mush still has the frames sets on dat ?........some great music played at frames.... show's the south can hold it's own when it comes to soul .... that will start the north v south post's i would think ! :huh: .... :huh: ha ha ha

Social source share

a very big local following aswell ... be nice to see some of them out again :huh:

Social source share

Took an old (but then current) girlfriend to the one with Richard on. Some great tunes played ranging from "First taste of hurt" to Fyza "Poetical love". Mr S was on top form, but all I kept getting in my ear was "this is rubbish can we go yet?". :huh:

A top night!

WOMEN eh..You cant live with em and you cant live with em.

Social source share

• 2 months later...

ADAM . MAX at St Ives EVOLOUTION.Loads of old REAL SEAL faces expected to come out of the wood..

bugger i must have missed the REAL SEAL nights ! lol ..... or is it that what Mr Chris Brown called his house party's :huh::lol: ..... Max and Chris (real deal residents) and Adam all in the black room at Evolution would be great to see the Frames Real Deal crowd out in mass ! :unsure:

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest shaun evans

bugger i must have missed the REAL SEAL nights ! lol ..... or is it that what Mr Chris Brown called his house party's laugh.gif:lol: ..... Max and Chris (real deal residents) and Adam all in the black room at Evolution would be great to see the Frames Real Deal crowd out in mass ! :thumbsup:

:yes: Hello Dave gutted carn't make it to the next one Mr Halsall just 5 mins away got to go for a meal no way out should be a great nite really p***ed off sad.gif

Social source share

Max championed the likes of Denise Ellington - One in a million and the bloddy fantastic Tony Jackson - Secretly in love to name just 2 a real top venue spinning top sounds.....if you missed one you always regretted it and cold turkey set in

THE MAN IN BLACK

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Max championed the likes of Denise Ellington - One in a million and the bloddy fantastic Tony Jackson - Secretly in love to name just 2 a real top venue spinning top sounds.....if you missed one you always regretted it and cold turkey set in

THE MAN IN BLACK

Yeah and if Bob Newhouse did not get you thrown out that was a result as well :thumbup:

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gavin Page

whatever happened to him?Is he still alive?

Living in Milton Keynes - Doing really well, still buys lots of music but does not go out.

Married now as well.

Bless him :wicked:

Social source share

Guest nusha

Living in Milton Keynes - Doing really well, still buys lots of music but does not go out.

Married now as well.

Bless him laugh.gif

does he still like a pint of cider with a barly wine chaser..

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

does he still like a pint of cider with a barly wine chaser..

Think he will still drink anything laugh.gif

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gordon russell

Took an old (but then current) girlfriend to the one with Richard on. Some great tunes played ranging from "First taste of hurt" to Fyza "Poetical love". Mr S was on top form, but all I kept getting in my ear was "this is rubbish can we go yet?". :thumbsup:

A top night!

not a lot changes then steve lol :thumbsup::no:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert