Strange Record On A Well Collected Label

45cellar

Hi

I was looking for another record, while I was looking I found this.

Anyone know why this Label was used for projects like this.

I must give it a play, although I'm not expecting anything but dialogue & an odd tune.

PBM_1.jpgPBM_2.jpg

Strange that a Label known for Ska/Reggae & Soul releases should be used in this way.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Stranger that it's also a Scottish folk record - note the A side sung by Robin Hall & Jimmy McGregor! I'd say this was only worth a great deal to label completists though. Anyone with any other ideas? Never seen or heard of this one before!

Sounds almost like Chris Blackwell had a deal with the education board and issued this as a freebie to graduates encouraging them to work in the paper industry.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Hi

I was looking for another record, while I was looking I found this.

Anyone know why this Label was used for projects like this.

I must give it a play, although I'm not expecting anything but dialogue & an odd tune.

PBM_1.jpgPBM_2.jpg

Strange that a Label known for Ska/Reggae & Soul releases should be used in this way.

Sound up please,we wanna`hear it please :unsure: ,i`ve a album in its sleeve from Kiwi polish,made for there annual piss up in about 68,no info about the band or titles just the Program for the day on the label and who`s on what table,the cover as some odd pictures............but what a fantastic LP,had it years and nobody knows who it is,the vocalist sounds like Spencer Davis and the band are very very good,all kind of styles Soul,phsycodellic(spellin`)rokc,if you wet the label it says CBS promo so must a rejected band,would love to know who it is..........post some clips one day.

Social source share

Sound up please,we wanna`hear it please :unsure: ,i`ve a album in its sleeve from Kiwi polish,made for there annual piss up in about 68,no info about the band or titles just the Program for the day on the label and who`s on what table,the cover as some odd pictures............but what a fantastic LP,had it years and nobody knows who it is,the vocalist sounds like Spencer Davis and the band are very very good,all kind of styles Soul,phsycodellic(spellin`)rokc,if you wet the label it says CBS promo so must a rejected band,would love to know who it is..........post some clips one day.

Hi Ken

I am just going out to work, will try tomorrow to pluck up courage to have a listen. :lol:

Social source share

Stranger that it's also a Scottish folk record - note the A side sung by Robin Hall & Jimmy McGregor! I'd say this was only worth a great deal to label completists though. Anyone with any other ideas? Never seen or heard of this one before!

Sounds almost like Chris Blackwell had a deal with the education board and issued this as a freebie to graduates encouraging them to work in the paper industry.

Thanks for the Info.

Social source share

Thanks for the Info.

No probs.

It's also worth noting that from around 1963, Chris Blackwell introduced the Surprise label, which issued LPs mainly for an adult audience. As well as numerous Rugby Song LPs (mainly by the Jock Strapp Ensemble), he also issued the LP "Music To Strip To". Initial copies came free with a G-string wrapped around the cover - now worth around £80 to collectors! This may explain the diverse routes Blackwell took with Island Records.

Also, around the mid-60s to early-70s, other record labels were issuing records for school-leavers and graduates regarding employment opportunities. Two that come to mind are Michael Aspel and The Goons. Seems there was pretty much an influx of these things around that time.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert