Playing Northern

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Guest WPaulVanDyk

This got me thinking about when your a mobile DJ if you would ever play Northern for someone who wants it and if so what. Because i feel sometimes if you play more obscurer tunes people don't get them but if you play something simple they apriciate it ie Higher and Higher - Jackie Wilson but not a song like Because of you or Jnr Walker - Roadrunner but not I Ain't Going Nowhere

I have been known to play Contours - Just a Little Misunderstanding, Frank Wilson - Do I Love you, Tams - Be Young Be Foolish Be Happy, Dobie Gray - Out on the Floor when doing mobile discos and people seem to enjoy that.

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest andyrattigan

There is a time and a place to be clever, if you want to mystify your audience by playing The Imaginations at 10pm at yer local bar, you're a div - don't try to be Soul Sam when your being paid to give normal people a decent night out.

Hi Barry,

Are you insinuating Soul fans aren't normal? You are probably right. biggrin.gif:D

Social source share

I slipped a few Northern/60's soul records into a night when I'd been playing house,garage,latin hypo.gif:D or whatever earlier.I had more dancing to the soul stuff than the C**P I played earlier.Goes to show that you can't beat that good ole soul music. :lol::P

Have been asked back to do mainly soul night on some sundays.

Dave.

Social source share

Dont forget a lot of 'handbag soul' made the charts, so Higher and Higher, Sweetest Feeling, Be Young Foolish Happy, Ghost in my house, My mans a sweet man, etc,etc, should be known by most of the over 40s.

KFC ads took care of DILYIID, etc so there is a choice of about 100 tunes that most folks should know.

It would be great to Slip 'Scratchy' on and watch the reation!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anything played late on should fill the floor anyway, even bloody Baby Love, ooh er ooh er.

Ed

Social source share

I always used to play a good 20 mins of northern when i used to dj at yates' bar doing an indie rock night.

The students used to love it!

I did get sacked a month or so down the line but i was told it was nothing to do with my soul music! :thumbsup:

She just couldnt afford to keep me.... :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!