Clapping

Barry

I was in the bath tonight, having a Wigan moment :P (I know), and I got to thinking of the last few seconds of a track being faded out and people applauding.

I thought why did I/do I/we do that?

Yes, obviously, cos I love the track in question - but I thought a proportion of my applause may have been given to the jock for playing it - sure!

Also maybe cos at that moment, I was applauding cos I was dead happy - I'm here, with you (maybe I was applauding me, my state of mind, possibly?)....and dead happy :g: .

Then I thought, was I applauding the people, my kin, you and I, on the dancefloor at that moment?

Or was I just applauding the beauty of my/our scene - cos it's obviously Ace!

:P

Do you know what I mean though?

There's so much held within those applause that we give following a track.

Should I go to bed? :shades:

Edited by Barry
Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I was in the bath tonight, having a Wigan moment :P (I know), and I got to thinking of the last few seconds of a track being faded out and people applauding.

Yes, obviously, cos I love the track in question - but I thought a proportion of my applause may have been given to the jock for playing it - sure!

Also maybe cos at that moment, I was applauding cos I was dead happy - I'm here, with you (maybe I was applauding me, my state of mind, possibly?)....and dead happy :g: .

Then I thought, was I applauding the people, my kin, you and I, on the dancefloor at that moment?

Should I go to bed? :shades:

Yes!

Social source share

I do know what you mean though Barry - it was a nice warm glow...heightened when it was something that you'ld travelled really wanting to hear ("Joe Matthews"/"Rose Valentine"/"Maurice Mcallister"/"Topcat"/"Love committee" etc etc)

"...and When he's not arou-ou-ound, what would I dooo?"

Christ, I love that song!

I'll have a stab at the break on a keyboard...

"Da da der der der, der der da da DA DA! - how will I know if he loves me, when I never see him, nooo"

Robin, stop it!

Social source share

I was in the bath tonight, having a Wigan moment :D (I know), and I got to thinking of the last few seconds of a track being faded out and people applauding.

Also maybe cos at that moment, I was applauding cos I was dead happy - I'm here, with you (maybe I was applauding me, my state of mind, possibly?)....and dead happy :D .

:D

Clapping in the bath...Did you clap and connect with anything :D ..I can think of another word for it...

Should I go to bed? :D

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

I was in the bath tonight, having a Wigan moment :D (I know), and I got to thinking of the last few seconds of a track being faded out and people applauding.

Also maybe cos at that moment, I was applauding cos I was dead happy - I'm here, with you (maybe I was applauding me, my state of mind, possibly?)....and dead happy :D .

:D

Should I go to bed? :D

To be honest, i thought everybody was clapping my dancing? :D

Ste :D

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

For me I think its mainly applause for the DJ for playing something I love. I'd applaud the artist if they were there, but clapping at a record seems a bit daft :D

Reminds me of my one and only visit to a rave back in the day (G/F at the time was into it. Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it...). After the usual 'what the hell am i doing here' moment, one of the DJs played something that was using a NS track as a major part of it. Slightly 'euphoric' :D at the time I legged it onto the dance floor, danced like no one else in the building and when it finished started to applaud. Until the G/F dragged me away for embarrasing her :D :D

Social source share

Guest soul99 easylay

I don't get around the country to NS nights much anymore, but up here in sunny Scarborough, it's still very much part of the scene - every record is applauded by the dancers :thumbsup:

For me, it's applauding the absent artists for producing such a great tune and the DJ for having such great taste and bringing little rays of sunshine into our otherwise humdrum lives :ohmy:

I think it's a lovely, whimsical and very polite thing which is (I have no doubt) a very NS kind of thing :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I think it's a lovely, whimsical and very polite thing which is (I have no doubt) a very NS kind of thing thumbsup.gif

I was wondering about applauding too when i read that Big Daddy article recently about a youngster's view of Northern Soul. I like it too and it reminds me of tea dances and a more civilised time. Must admit i'm applauding the DJ's taste and thanking him/her for the chance to dance to a favourite track, rather than applauding the record itself.

Made me wonder if any other scene does this? Others probably whoop and cheer but few clap politely.

Actually i used to go to a lot of rock clubs at one time and i've got a feeling they applauded as well :wicked:

Social source share

Guest soul99 easylay

Actually i used to go to a lot of rock clubs at one time and i've got a feeling they applauded as well :ohmy:

Fook me - you've just "come out" Matt :lol:

Social source share

HI BARRY,....I WAS STOOD IN TK MAXX IN TOWN..LOOOKIN FOR FOOKIN XMAS PRESSIES AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THE SHOP IS PLAYING THINK ABOUT THE GOOD TIMES BABY WASHINGTON...IM THINKING WHATS THIS...TK MAXX RADIO..A TK MAXX SHOP TAPE...WHO'S PUT THIS ON IN HERE..WHATS GOIN ON .IM SHOPPIN TO A BELTIN N.SOUL TUNE IN T.K MAXX IN WARRINGTON???? THE THING IS I NEARLY CLAPPED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SHOP TO MYSELF.........OH NOW THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A MOMENT!!! :lol:

Social source share

HI BARRY,....I WAS STOOD IN TK MAXX IN TOWN..LOOOKIN FOR FOOKIN XMAS PRESSIES AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THE SHOP IS PLAYING THINK ABOUT THE GOOD TIMES BABY WASHINGTON...IM THINKING WHATS THIS...TK MAXX RADIO..A TK MAXX SHOP TAPE...WHO'S PUT THIS ON IN HERE..WHATS GOIN ON .IM SHOPPIN TO A BELTIN N.SOUL TUNE IN T.K MAXX IN WARRINGTON???? THE THING IS I NEARLY CLAPPED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SHOP TO MYSELF.........OH NOW THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A MOMENT!!! :rolleyes:

ha ha me and the missus have done the same - whoever puts the old TK cds together is an undercover soulie winder - Tyrone Davis, Rubin etc etc - Well in. :D

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

ha ha me and the missus have done the same - whoever puts the old TK cds together is an undercover soulie winder - Tyrone Davis, Rubin etc etc - Well in. :lol:

I never knew that Ern. mellow.gif

Stack me, we've got a TKMax up in the centre.

Must go and buy a new pair of shoes... :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert