Custom Charges Again

Guest Bogue

Guest Bogue

I know we have done this before...but is it me or is this happening more regularly now ?

Had a card through the door today saying I need to pay £12 something customs charges to pick up a package.

The highest i've paid out is $80 .... seems a bit steep to me ?

With this & the fact a lot of sellers are insisting on insurance (which means stating correct values) what's going to happen to the soul vinyl market ?

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Bogue

My record customs charge was $600... Not exactly a pleasant surprise!

Don't think it'll ruin the soul market (or any other market for that matter), but it can be a pain in the ass.

:thumbsup: Ouch !

It does curtail a big chunk of what used to be looked on as bargains though I think....so I wonder if it may go back to people relying more on UK dealers again ?

Social source share

My record customs charge was $600... Not exactly a pleasant surprise!

Don't think it'll ruin the soul market (or any other market for that matter), but it can be a pain in the ass.

Try almost £3,000 :D .

What got me was them charging me tax on the postage charges and VAT on the import duty.

Mind you the whole lot was still a bargain :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest wigantojapan

Try almost £3,000 :thumbup: .

What got me was them charging me tax on the postage charges and VAT on the import duty.

Mind you the whole lot was still a bargain :thumbsup:

I would look carefully into what they are charging you.

there certainly is a different charge for 2nd hand clothes as opposed to brand new ones.though they dont neccasarily tell you that on their web site.

If you know someone who is working in an clearing agent they might have better knowledge than the customs boys .

Also some off the big dealers i guess will no all the loop holes.

Yes they charge you for postage charge and vat on import along with another 4-5 taxes on top off taxes plus they calculate the import to the dollar and its way way expensive compared to the real rate.

Social source share

I would look carefully into what they are charging you.

there certainly is a different charge for 2nd hand clothes as opposed to brand new ones.though they dont neccasarily tell you that on their web site.

If you know someone who is working in an clearing agent they might have better knowledge than the customs boys .

Also some off the big dealers i guess will no all the loop holes.

Yes they charge you for postage charge and vat on import along with another 4-5 taxes on top off taxes plus they calculate the import to the dollar and its way way expensive compared to the real rate.

It was about five years ago now and yes I had a shipping agent help me out with the paperwork which was about as complicated a form as I've seen from a government agency and thats saying something. I had already had 101 out of 111 boxes delivered when they held up the last consignment and I did think about sending the last 10 boxes back. There were between 3 and 4 hundred 45's in each box and I'd already had some fantastic finds so weighed it up and paid my dues.

It would have been cheapest if I'd set up a partnership with the person I bought the collection off with a view to trading the records in which case we would have just been moving business stock between premesis in different countries. Trust me I looked in to all options.

Social source share

Guest wigantojapan

It was about five years ago now and yes I had a shipping agent help me out with the paperwork which was about as complicated a form as I've seen from a government agency and thats saying something. I had already had 101 out of 111 boxes delivered when they held up the last consignment and I did think about sending the last 10 boxes back. There were between 3 and 4 hundred 45's in each box and I'd already had some fantastic finds so weighed it up and paid my dues.

It would have been cheapest if I'd set up a partnership with the person I bought the collection off with a view to trading the records in which case we would have just been moving business stock between premesis in different countries. Trust me I looked in to all options.

that was obviously business 111 boxes but for people who are sending/receiving a few records at least i think 2nd hand should be a cheaper rate of duty than new

all is 17.5% vat on top of the shipping costs and everything else.

Social source share

Guest Bogue

angry.gif Another one today...& only just over the vat threshold again... but incurs an £8 handling charge.

:lol: Nothing for years & then 2 in a week...A cynic might think someone is taking an extra interest...

Social source share

angry.gif Another one today...& only just over the vat threshold again... but incurs an £8 handling charge.

:lol: Nothing for years & then 2 in a week...A cynic might think someone is taking an extra interest...

I have no problem with paying relevant taxes,etc. Obviously nicer not to have to of course. But what on earth is this handling charge for? I had a charge last week for £8.87. Therefore, 87p for the VAT/Tax whatever, and £8 handling charge. And I ended up picking it up from the sorting office myself, so they didn't even f***ng deliver it to me for that £8. Grrrr :lol:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

I have no problem with paying relevant taxes,etc. Obviously nicer not to have to of course. But what on earth is this handling charge for? I had a charge last week for £8.87. Therefore, 87p for the VAT/Tax whatever, and £8 handling charge. And I ended up picking it up from the sorting office myself, so they didn't even f***ng deliver it to me for that £8. Grrrr angry.gif

:lol: Exactly what I thought Blunny ! I suppose they will say it's for the paper work...bloody annoying for such a small amount though !

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!