New Member Intro

Hi to all "Soul Source" members....

My name is Mark, 41, married with two kids, 13 (girl) and 10 (boy), and live in Sheffield.

Got into Northern at alocal youth club back in 1977/78 via some lads I knew that were 17/18 who used to give the DJ tunes to play and then dance to. Spent a few weeks just chatting about the music, dancing, clubs, clothes, etc.

Became totally smitten to the tunes that were not known to the masses. Went to local clubs like KayGeeBee (DJ Nev Wherry), Turn Ups, Central,etc. First ventured over to Wigan in the summer of 1979 on a borrowd "blue card" which I still have. Tried to go at least once a month with money allowing.

Went to Clifton Hall (Rotherham) from it opening up until it closed down where I became friends with Steve Croft and Adrian the co-promoters. Also got to know Richard Searling via CH and the other DJs, Steve Mannion, Pat Brady, Brian Rae, Poke, etc. Also went to places like Bradford (both Queens Hall and Bensons/Bierkeller), Morecombe, Stafford, Keele, etc.

Was less actively involved in going places from about 1993 due to the wife asking me to "cool off" with expanding family and house moving.

This didn't last long as I ventured into town in early 1997 to a pub was was having a new monthly midweek Northern night starting (Thursday). Met old friends there who were running and was asked to join them and together we started a better monthly midweek night (Wednesday 7-12) at the Deep End, which was a free night, as there was nothing in Sheffield or locally at that time. By the time of its 2nd Anniversary in Nov 1999 we had 200+ with Soul Sam as special guest for the night.

To bring things up to date, we started running a monthly Friday night (8-2) at Ponds Forge in Sheffield from Sept 2000. This is still going strong and we've had some very complimentary write ups in Manifesto and Togetherness.

Well that's me quite briefly. Looking forward to contributing to the forums in the future.

Thanks for reading....

Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!