Missing Chess Numbers

boba

I asked before about some records that show up in the chess discography that I'm pretty sure don't exist. I was looking at this Magic Touch record:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190404769397

and I noticed that it not only said distributed by Chess but has the same chess number that appears in the discography. I bet that a bunch of the numbers never came out on Chess but came out on other labels like Magic Touch with chess numbers on them. I know there were records that came out on earlier labels that were bought by chess (like the Sunday and Denise Lasalle). Those cases are different and in those cases the stampers were reused (with the original label info crossed off in the deadwax) and the records actually came out on chess. In the cases I'm talking about, the record never actually came out on Chess. Probably the whole Magic Touch 2000 series are Chess #s that never came out on Chess.

Anyways, I'm just sharing, I don't know if anyone else has more input. It would be cool if there were an accurate discography saying what numbers came out on other labels only or possibly never came out.

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I asked before about some records that show up in the chess discography that I'm pretty sure don't exist. I was looking at this Magic Touch record:

https://cgi.ebay.com/...em=190404769397

and I noticed that it not only said distributed by Chess but has the same chess number that appears in the discography. I bet that a bunch of the numbers never came out on Chess but came out on other labels like Magic Touch with chess numbers on them. I know there were records that came out on earlier labels that were bought by chess (like the Sunday and Denise Lasalle). Those cases are different and in those cases the stampers were reused (with the original label info crossed off in the deadwax) and the records actually came out on chess. In the cases I'm talking about, the record never actually came out on Chess. Probably the whole Magic Touch 2000 series are Chess #s that never came out on Chess.

Anyways, I'm just sharing, I don't know if anyone else has more input. It would be cool if there were an accurate discography saying what numbers came out on other labels only or possibly never came out.

There's a garage record by the Seeds of Reason on Lakeside that's one of the 'missing' Chess numbers. There may be another 45 on Lakeside as well. I can get the details if you don't know them.

Same deal with Smash/Fontana/etc.

- George

Social source share

Label scan for Seeds of Reason - the stock copies are a nice deep blue

https://www.popsike.c...0335220588.html

thanks a lot, I never knew about these, and I see they use the same chess numbers also.

The other label that never had a chess release that I know of was the Matta Baby on Penny, and on that label it's also a chess number.

Anybody know any other labels on the Chess discography besides Magic Touch, Lakeside, and Penny that never came out on Chess? Thanks.

Social source share

thanks a lot, I never knew about these, and I see they use the same chess numbers also.

The other label that never had a chess release that I know of was the Matta Baby on Penny, and on that label it's also a chess number.

Anybody know any other labels on the Chess discography besides Magic Touch, Lakeside, and Penny that never came out on Chess? Thanks.

FYI

#1981 is another Lakeside 45 by the One Eyed Jacks - Die Today / Somewhere They Can't Find Me -- garage, B side is the Simon and Garfunkel song

#1983 is on Chess but missing from some discogs - it's the Wurds (aka Dirty Wurds) - Born In Chicago / Midnight Hour -- garage, both covers

Social source share

FYI

#1981 is another Lakeside 45 by the One Eyed Jacks - Die Today / Somewhere They Can't Find Me -- garage, B side is the Simon and Garfunkel song

#1983 is on Chess but missing from some discogs - it's the Wurds (aka Dirty Wurds) - Born In Chicago / Midnight Hour -- garage, both covers

thanks, I knew that wurds number (but don't own it as a casual soul collector as I haven't found it for cheap and don't want to pay real money). I don't know anything about garage but one of the dirty wurds did a logo for me recently and i also recently met another one at a restaurant i was eating at (I went up and talked to him when i heard him talking about chess records).

Social source share

Did Rojac 1969 (Big Maybelle) also come out on Chess?

post-4944-056408500 1277103199_thumb.jpgpost-4944-072398700 1277103206_thumb.jpg

Edited by mshoals
Social source share

also, maybe some of the question mark numbers here:

https://www.soulfulki...c.net/chess.htm

are other label releases with chess distribution... I will be on the lookout now.

also, not every title came out, at least I'm pretty sure this doesn't exist:

2038 - The Starlettes - I Wanna Be Good To You / Watered Down - 1968

and this doesn't exist:

2083 - The Radiants - I'm So Glad I'm A Loser / Shadow Of A Doubt - 1970

Social source share

also, not every title came out, at least I'm pretty sure this doesn't exist:

2038 - The Starlettes - I Wanna Be Good To You / Watered Down - 1968

and this doesn't exist:

2083 - The Radiants - I'm So Glad I'm A Loser / Shadow Of A Doubt - 1970

2176 turned up last year on Craig Morer

https://www.popsike.com/rare-Soul-45-OVATIONS-you-keep-me-hanging-on-CHESS-Hear/270386984147.html

This is really odd as Chess rejected this master and 5 others, when they were bought by All Platinum. They returned the rights to Sounds Of Memphis but not the tapes. Fortunately Tony Rounce made copies of the tracks when he was working on All Platinum, as there really would have been nothing to indicate where those masters ended up.

Social source share

2176 turned up last year on Craig Morer

https://www.popsike.c...0386984147.html

This is really odd as Chess rejected this master and 5 others, when they were bought by All Platinum. They returned the rights to Sounds Of Memphis but not the tapes. Fortunately Tony Rounce made copies of the tracks when he was working on All Platinum, as there really would have been nothing to indicate where those masters ended up.

Thanks, I saw the craig moerer auction when it was up but didn't realize it was a missing number on soufulkindamusic and didn't bid because it wasn't a stock copy with both sides. I got confused because I still don't even have the 2166 ovations as a stock copy with the flip. I guess that 2176 only exists as a promo.

Do you know the 5 other masters that were rejected that I guess are numbers that didn't come out? I guess this is officially documented somewhere? Thanks.

Social source share

Thanks, I saw the craig moerer auction when it was up but didn't realize it was a missing number on soufulkindamusic and didn't bid because it wasn't a stock copy with both sides. I got confused because I still don't even have the 2166 ovations as a stock copy with the flip. I guess that 2176 only exists as a promo.

Do you know the 5 other masters that were rejected that I guess are numbers that didn't come out? I guess this is officially documented somewhere? Thanks.

I see why I didn't bid now. Soul Harmony Singles lists a second Ovations as "You keep me hanging on" / "The plummer". So i assumed it came out as stock. What's weird is the book lists it as 2172 not 2176, which is probably a mistake because it's a Solomon Burke record?

There is some crazy info in the book, for example, there is a Motown number not listed in the Barlette book, a second Third Creation 45. Where did they get that number?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert