Ja Blank's

Donkit

• Replies 14
  • Views 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest john s

A large number of Jamaican releases (from the 50's onwards) were initially released as white labels ('blanks').

Some were later released as labelled copies, a lot more weren't, for many different reasons - and when they were, they often weren't the same A/B-side coupling as the blank.

Some of the rarer ones have been bootlegged, and often artificially 'aged' to add the deception.

It's a bit of a minefield, really, but a lot of brilliant music is only available on that format...

Social source share

As John says above, they're the equivalent of promo copies really. I'm a bit split over Jamaican or UK blanks though, I'd much sooner have a labelled copy and I can't see a lot of difference between a blank and a carver. From experience, the majority of blanks that come onto the market are always very well used.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

I found it such a minefield that I have given up collecting it. I just don't have the knowledge of them. Instead, I just listen to other peoples collections and appreciate their sounds. Far cheaper that way!!!

There are some very knowledgeable people on this site always happy to give a helping hand with info though. :thumbup:

Social source share

As John says above, they're the equivalent of promo copies really. I'm a bit split over Jamaican or UK blanks though, I'd much sooner have a labelled copy and I can't see a lot of difference between a blank and a carver. From experience, the majority of blanks that come onto the market are always very well used.

like this one ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JOHNNY-MOORE-BIG-BIG-BOSS-REGGAE-/180909113053?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item2a1f05fedd

Social source share

Hi Pete , would this one of those ?

https://www.ebay.com/...=item231e8cc67d

It would. F*cking hell am I kicking myself, about 2 years ago I GAVE AWAY the Jamaican blank of this to Brian Kelson, he bought a box of British off me and I said oh, there's about 20 blanks in that bag, you might as well have them...I didn't realise Love Kiss Blue sounds like an instrumental version of The Hamlins - I Don't Care At All.

By the way, I can't see why anyone would pay that money for a blank, may as well wait for a labelled Doctor Bird one to come up.

Social source share

my blanks cost me less than a uk or ja issue and blanks are the first issues and not carvers ! Made to gauge popularity on the sound systems before gaining a labeled release and if they were often a differant cut

I know they are the first issue but a blank label is a blank label - thats why I compared it to a carver - black vinyl, white label. As opposed to a labelled copy. Wasn't saying they weren't the originals, I know what they are, I've got enough of 'em.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!