Monica Higgins ????

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

There was a Monica Higgins cut for UA in 73, related to Monk Higgins (cut in LA I believe).

Monk was working a lot in that period with Alex Brown (MAYBE it was Alex using a different name as she was signed elsewhere at the time).

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Roburt

Now that you mention it, Alex Brown rings a bell, I think another tape mentioned her. It could be the tape I played today was BEFORE the DJ felt relaxed enough to mention a 'real' artist..I.e Alex Brown

Thanks

Social source share

6 hours ago, Roburt said:

There was a Monica Higgins cut for UA in 73, related to Monk Higgins (cut in LA I believe).

Monk was working a lot in that period with Alex Brown (MAYBE it was Alex using a different name as she was signed elsewhere at the time).

Monk Higgins' birth name was Milton Bland.  I'm pretty sure he was related to Billy Bland (Satellite/St. Lawrence artist).  Could Monica Higgins have been his daughter or wife?  Was Monk credited on her '73 record?

Social source share

Monica's single "It's The Real Thing" was written by "M Higgins. A. Brown". The A. Brown is most likely Alex Brown but the M. Higgins could

be either Monk or Monica Higgins. The song was published by Special Agent Music/ East Memphis. Monk Higgins did the arrangements for the song.

Edited by the yank
Social source share

33 minutes ago, the yank said:

Monica's single "It's The Real Thing" was written by "M Higgins. A. Brown". The A. Brown is most likely Alex Brown but the M. Higgins could

be either Monk or Monica Higgins. The song was published by Special Agent Music/ East Memphis. Monk Higgins did the arrangements for the song.

Clearly Monica must be Monk's wife or daughter.  I guess he must have legally changed his name to "Higgins", as Cary Grant and so many actors legally changed their family names.

Social source share

Mr Searling, for it was he, seemed to intimate that the real singer might not be aware of the record issued as "Monica Higgins".

He talks about sending a copy to the artist....presumably to Alex Brown.

But the above indicates that all involved were aware of it.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Monk Higgins wife was called Virginia. Not sure when they married, so don't know if any daughter would have been 17+ years old by 1973. 

Monk was born in 1936, so I guess he would have gotten married in the late 50's / early to mid 60's .... that would have made any daughter around 16 yrs old (max) in 1973.

So it could have been his daughter but as he recorded a lot of stuff (& played a lot live) through the 70's and her name didn't seem to crop up again on his work, I'll leave others to decide what they think.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Doesn't help resolve the above issue BUT does illustrate the strange world of record labels that Monk was involved with.

He was the guy behind the Sack label of course which has a few obscure releases related to it (both US & UK).

In 1970 it seems that he started the Stone Good label & if this newspaper review is anything to go by, 3 x 45s were made available as promos. These were by Monk himself, Mr Lucky & Helena Wright. I'm unsure of any releases on the actual Stonegood label apart from a Helena Hollins that has to be the Helena Wright mentioned above.

Monk's proposed track did make it out, but on the Sack label (which was listed as being distributed by Stonegood).

These tracks here were co-produced by A(lex?) Brown.

The female's 45 (whatever her name) did escape on Stonegood.

Anyone have knowledge of the Mr Lucky appearing on a 45 that made it into US record shops ??

MonkHiggins45sJune70.jpg

HelenaHollins45MonkHigns.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert