Cover Ups

Winnie :-)

You're DJ'n at a venue, you put on your prized cover up and someone comes up and tells you what it is. Do you uncover it immediately, do you go to your next DJ stint and hope the guy/gal who knew it isn't there? Cover ups are sold between collectors, so there is always someone who knows what the record is (unless you've actually discovered it) so is there any real point in them?

I know we've had threads before on Cover ups, but maybe some of the newer members haven't seen them?

Winnie:-)

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

You're DJ'n at a venue, you put on your prized cover up and someone comes up and tells you what it is. Do you uncover it immediately, do you go to your next DJ stint and hope the guy/gal who knew it isn't there? Cover ups are sold between collectors, so there is always someone who knows what the record is (unless you've actually discovered it) so is there any real point in them?

I know we've had threads before on Cover ups, but maybe some of the newer members haven't seen them?

==============

What no takers? Either theres no collectors on line, or its a very taboo subject :thumbsup:

Social source share

==============

What no takers? Either theres no collectors on line, or its a very taboo subject laugh.gif

If said guy comes up to tell you what he thinks it is, and said guy or girl is right surley they would keep it to themselfs and try to accire a copy or cover it them selfs? likes said befor some records benifit from being coverd up due to cover up names giving them a boost, if you see what i mean, take the J J Jackson one now been uncovered as Johhny Prey (i think) what sounds more appealing thumbsup.gif

Social source share

The only cover up i ever experience is telling the missus that the paypals on the bank statement aint all mine and that im buying a few for some mates.

But if i was ever in that predicament i would just have a little chat with him to find out just how much he knows about the tune and explain to him why i have covered it up, he would know what the crack was anyway. wouldnt he !!

If not i would take him to one side in a dark corner and kill him.

Bearsy

Social source share

Has a record ever been 'discovered' simultaniously (or near enough) by 2 DJ's on the scene without them knowing and covered up with two completely different titles and names? huh.gif

Now that would cause some confusion! laugh.gif

Sorry to hijack your thread Winnie.

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

If said guy comes up to tell you what he thinks it is, and said guy or girl is right surley they would keep it to themselfs and try to accire a copy or cover it them selfs? likes said befor some records benifit from being coverd up due to cover up names giving them a boost, if you see what i mean, take the J J Jackson one now been uncovered as Johhny Prey (i think) what sounds more appealing thumbsup.gif

=============

No idea what you'd do Baz, the situation would never arise with me. But just wondered what the collector would do. Taking your scenario, firstly he'd/she'd have to actually want to acquire the record, I mean, it is possible he/she could think its not very good? Secondly if it was a reactivated record, and as I understand it most records have had an airing at some time or other, what's the point in keeping it covered up. I can understand the appeal of using the name of JJ Jackson over and above that of Johnny Prey, but can't see how it would impact on the value. If you were to move on a cover up, do you tell the buyer who it is first, or do you sell it to him with the cover name intact?

Social source share

"Has a record ever been 'discovered' simultaniously (or near enough) by 2 DJ's on the scene without them knowing and covered up with two completely different titles and names?"

Dave McCadden wrote a story about him and somebody else finding a Sue Lynne on UK Rca on the same day and both covering them up as different names but with the same initials!!

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I seem to recall the rather petulant story of Richard Searling sulking when someone uncovered Jon & the Wierdest, think thats right? Anyhow, I habe only ever owned a few cover ups bought covered up already, they remain covered at the sellers' requests and if someone told me what they were I'd have to pull the label off to check. Fair play to them, some people have allegedly got in a bit of a strop in the past when their cover ups have been revealed, which is a bit pants really, if you don't want people to find out what it is don't play it to them. yes.gif They can be fun but ultimately not much point, its all part of the usual pissing up the wall competition. Can't see the point of keeping it going if someone has rumbled you (and Baz they might not be looking for it if it is neither rare nor very good).

Always thought that Big Ian and The Levinees would be a good name for a cover up, anyone got Steve Brookstein's number?

Social source share

I seem to recall the rather petulant story of Richard Searling sulking when someone uncovered Jon & the Wierdest, think thats right? Anyhow, I habe only ever owned a few cover ups bought covered up already, they remain covered at the sellers' requests and if someone told me what they were I'd have to pull the label off to check. Fair play to them, some people have allegedly got in a bit of a strop in the past when their cover ups have been revealed, which is a bit pants really, if you don't want people to find out what it is don't play it to them. :( They can be fun but ultimately not much point, its all part of the usual pissing up the wall competition. Can't see the point of keeping it going if someone has rumbled you (and Baz they might not be looking for it if it is neither rare nor very good).

Always thought that Big Ian and The Levinees would be a good name for a cover up, anyone got Steve Brookstein's number?

It was the Cecil Washington uncovered by Kev Draper :( - be interesting to know how he got his copy, anybody know ?

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I agree with what's been said that if someone knew who it was they would probably keep it quiet and try to acquire it themselves. However... there are lots of people, a view expressed on here many times, who totally disagree with cover ups and if one of these people knew your cover up they might decide to either tell everyone at the venue or worse, post it on SS the next day.

What could anyone do about that? Nothing, i reckon. Might just be a case of trying to get to the whistleblower and try to persuade him not to spill his guts. Does anyone think it's fair enough for someone against cover ups to do that, or is it totally beyond the pale?

Social source share

Has a record ever been 'discovered' simultaniously (or near enough) by 2 DJ's on the scene without them knowing and covered up with two completely different titles and names? :D

Now that would cause some confusion! :lol:

Sorry to hijack your thread Winnie.

KTF.

Drew.

Seem to remember The Baja Barimba (?) Band -Along Comes Mary being covered up as Mike Post & Freddie Mcoy at the same time.........Apparently The Freddie Mcoy version was faster according to one of the Soul Fanzines at the time :thumbsup::yes:

Social source share

I agree with what's been said that if someone knew who it was they would probably keep it quiet and try to acquire it themselves. However... there are lots of people, a view expressed on here many times, who totally disagree with cover ups and if one of these people knew your cover up they might decide to either tell everyone at the venue or worse, post it on SS the next day.

What could anyone do about that? Nothing, i reckon. Might just be a case of trying to get to the whistleblower and try to persuade him not to spill his guts. Does anyone think it's fair enough for someone against cover ups to do that, or is it totally beyond the pale?

==========

If someone knows what the cover up is, whether he/she is against them or not, what does it matter. The whole point of a cover up is to keep it secret, once it's out, what's the point of continuing to cover it? Mabye you have to check which 'knowledgables' are in the room before you play it? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert