The Spindles on ABC ??

Roburt

Is anything known about the Spindles who had 2 x 45's out on ABC in April & October 1966.

I know they had links to Dennis Lambert (who produced their sides for Don Costa Productions / DCP), to Lou Courtney who helped write the top side of their 2nd 45 and obviously to Don Costa. "Ten Shades Of Blue" has a matrix number that follows stright on from the two cuts on their 1st release, so all 4 were probably cut at the same studio session & they never then returned to a studio (at least as the Spindles) to cut anything else.  

It's strange that their singles escaped on ABC as at the time DCP Records had just been bought out by United Artists & renamed Veep, Dennis Lambert was working for Mercury and Lou Courtney was also doing work with Mercury / Smash & Phillips acts. The group was obviously based in the New York area and they just seemed to disappear after their 2 ABC outings. To me the lead singer sounds quite white, so they could have been a Blue-eyed group but they certainly made some good cuts. 

They obviously have nothing to do with Balto's Frankie & the Spindles, who were still going by the name Frankie & the Spinners back in 66. 

SpindlesMont.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

5 hours ago, sunnysoul said:

So ... the Spindles on ABC were completely unrelated to the Frankie & the Spindles group based in Philly via Baltimore (Roc-ker,  Gamble , PIR  labels etc) ?

Totally different outfits. I am guessing that the 'Florida' Spindles were a blue-eyed (or mixed race) group, the Baltimore outfit (who'd started out as Frankie & the Spinners) were definitely black. 

Frankie&SpindleMont68.jpg

Frankie&Spindles.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!