The Ritz Closure

Guest Malc Burton

On the BBC " Look North " news programme last night - Wednesday January 24th - there was a brief feature on the impending closure of The Ritz at Brighouse .

The chap they interviewed ( who was against the closure ) stated that The Ritz was a part of dancing culture , and both Northern Soul dancing and Tamla motown dancing played an important part in it .

It now seems that we now have two types of dancing on the scene : can someone define " Tamla Motown dancing " for me ?

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Reminds me of a lot of the venues around here - they play both types of music - Tamla and Motown!

Hi Pete .....

I know that this statement has been credited to The Blues Brothers , but I was in a bar in Oklahoma in 1979 , and thought I would like to put a tune on the jukebox to accompany the drink I was having .

When I obtained some dimes , the lady behind the bar pointed to one of the jukeboxes and said " that one there is Country , and the one over there is Western " ......

Spoilt for choice ? I should say so ......

Malc

Social source share

Hi Pete .....

I know that this statement has been credited to The Blues Brothers , but I was in a bar in Oklahoma in 1979 , and thought I would like to put a tune on the jukebox to accompany the drink I was having .

When I obtained some dimes , the lady behind the bar pointed to one of the jukeboxes and said " that one there is Country , and the one over there is Western " ......

Spoilt for choice ? I should say so ......

Malc

Well she may have been right, there actually is a genre of music called western swing!

Social source share

Guest mel brat

It now seems that we now have two types of dancing on the scene : can someone define "Tamla Motown dancing" for me ?

Malc

More to the point, can someone define "Northern Soul dancing"?? :P

(Maybe "The Temptation Walk" covers both styles of dance?!)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

the Ritz is a wonderful place and always packed,thats on the Northern night, motown night,ballroom night,line dancing.., whatever they hold it fills up

but money talks,and if they get the right amount,anyone in their right

mind would sell,a shame all the same thmbdn.gif ...i have been to both the Northern

and motown night,and the Motown is very,very different,and dance different ??

they do indeed,around handbags mainly is correct,but who am i to say no!plus if you are able to dance a little better than most folk there,jEEEz!! its like being in a fish bowl ,and they wont leave you alone,i have been to the motown night with friends from work...everyone in the world knows motown,although to my surprise,they play none commercial motown,northern,stax,..even ska !! and they always have a live band on, again who are always very good.

R&B and northern is my thing,but the motown night is a nice easy night with friends,where you still get to hear some of the music you like.. :dance: its a win,win

thing and will be very sad to see it close.

Social source share

Well she may have been right, there actually is a genre of music called western swing!

Hi Pete ....

Very familar with the genre , especially Bob Willis & His Texas Playboys ...

BW is credited in some circles for paving the way , and influencing , the majority of the musical styles we have today .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Ray Benson and Asleep at the wheel

Bob Willis and his Texaas Playboys............swing

Social source share

Guest PayneyJnr

On the BBC " Look North " news programme last night - Wednesday January 24th - there was a brief feature on the impending closure of The Ritz at Brighouse .

The chap they interviewed ( who was against the closure ) stated that The Ritz was a part of dancing culture , and both Northern Soul dancing and Tamla motown dancing played an important part in it .

It now seems that we now have two types of dancing on the scene : can someone define " Tamla Motown dancing " for me ?

Malc

Does it involve less talc?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!