Record Repairs

Ageing Face
Go to solution Solved by neckender,

Hi All,

Can anyone help? I've had a copy of Judy Street - "What" since my youth, in the early eighties it got a small split on the edge (my fault for not treating it with respect), but yesterday whilst cleaning it, the suction from the cleaner pulled the split all the way to the dead wax. 

My question is can styrene be repaired? not necessarily back to playing quality, I know I'll have to replace it, but I don't want it to break in half as it's part of my NS history.

Also, can anyone let me know how much I'll be paying for a replacement & if there are any originals out there?

Thanks in advance

Social source share

• Solution
18 minutes ago, Ageing Face said:

Hi All,

Can anyone help? I've had a copy of Judy Street - "What" since my youth, in the early eighties it got a small split on the edge (my fault for not treating it with respect), but yesterday whilst cleaning it, the suction from the cleaner pulled the split all the way to the dead wax. 

My question is can styrene be repaired? not necessarily back to playing quality, I know I'll have to replace it, but I don't want it to break in half as it's part of my NS history.

Also, can anyone let me know how much I'll be paying for a replacement & if there are any originals out there?

Thanks in advance

Check with Yann Vatiste.  He has a record recovery service.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

26 minutes ago, Ageing Face said:

Hi All,

Thanks in advance

Perfect, hopefully he'll be able to make it whole. Just need to get a replacement now & keep this one safe

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Kenb said:

i don't think Yann does styrene repairs...but hope i'm wrong

I can only hope. If all else fails, I'll glue it, It'll never get played again. If it wasn't for the fact that it was a youth club spin that I bought once I could afford to buy original tracks it'd go in the bin

Social source share

1 minute ago, Simon T said:

if you can get your hands on some old fashioned razor blades & polystyrene glue, you should be able to fix it.  Put it on a piece of glass to level things out and apply the glue very thinly around the edges of the blade.

razor.jpg

Didn’t know you could still get them. Should be able to find them somewhere on line, but my crafting skills aren’t great so I’ll do it from the You Turn Me On side

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Ageing Face said:

Didn’t know you could still get them. Should be able to find them somewhere on line, but my crafting skills aren’t great so I’ll do it from the You Turn Me On side

yes, stick it on the less favored side. the thinness of the razor blade will not stop it  laying almost 'flat' on the record deck, so you should be able to play it OK. Pane of glass or ceramic tile will help you get the edges of the crack level

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Simon T said:

yes, stick it on the less favored side. the thinness of the razor blade will not stop it  laying almost 'flat' on the record deck, so you should be able to play it OK. Pane of glass or ceramic tile will help you get the edges of the crack level

Probably won’t play it once I’ve repaired it. Any idea what the likelihood of getting another is, or a price range?

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Ageing Face said:

Probably won’t play it once I’ve repaired it. Any idea what the likelihood of getting another is, or a price range?

The originals have the Monarch Pressing Plant MR in a circle and Delta # 72913-X in the dead wax and will probably be a few hundred £.

The 're-issue', worth about £20, but no doubt people will be asking for more, bide your time.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!