Re-issue Re-release Re-entry

Guest MBarrett

Guest MBarrett

I appreciate that this is not a truly "rare" soul question but I wonder if you knowledgeable folk can give me a bit of help here.

I have a copy of Jimmy Mack/Third Finger which I am certain I bought when it charted in 1970.

It has the original dates and number TMG599 and shows in "Guiness British Hit Singles" as a re-entry - albeit three and a half years after the original release.

My question is - is there anything at all on this record that shows it is not the 1967 pressing? Purely for my own interest - no intention to sell it!!

(This situation contrasts with Nowhere to Run which charted in 1965 and 1969 but with different numbers TMG502 & 694 and shows in GBHS as a re-issue. I don't know if the 1969 version had a different B-side.)

Would welcome your comments.

Thanks

MB

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest MBarrett

PD

Really appreciate your reply.

I guessed there would have to be some small difference there somewhere - but would never have known without your expertise.

Thanks again.

MB

Social source share

I appreciate that this is not a truly "rare" soul question but I wonder if you knowledgeable folk can give me a bit of help here.

I have a copy of Jimmy Mack/Third Finger which I am certain I bought when it charted in 1970.

It has the original dates and number TMG599 and shows in "Guiness British Hit Singles" as a re-entry - albeit three and a half years after the original release.

My question is - is there anything at all on this record that shows it is not the 1967 pressing? Purely for my own interest - no intention to sell it!!

(This situation contrasts with Nowhere to Run which charted in 1965 and 1969 but with different numbers TMG502 & 694 and shows in GBHS as a re-issue. I don't know if the 1969 version had a different B-side.)

Would welcome your comments.

Thanks

MB

original issue has narrow print on the title

reissue has fat print

Apart from the Narrow Print, Look out for;

-SOLD IN THE U.K. SUBJECT TO

--RESALE PRICE CONDITIONS

--------SEE PRICE LISTS

-and a Raised K + T at the centre

Tamla_Motown_TMG-502a.jpg-Tamla_Motown_TMG-599a.jpg

Some titles were re-issued again on Tamla-Motown

Martha & The Vandellas: Nowhere To Run / Motoring - TMG 502 - May 1965

Martha Reeves & The Vandellas: Nowhere To Run / Livewire - TMG 694 - Mar 1969

(Livewire had previously been issued on Stateside SS-272)

Others had previously been Issued on other labels, fontana, Oriole, Stateside,

before Tamla_Motown was set up in the U.K., Quicksand is a good example.

Stateside_SS-250a.jpg-Tamla_Motown_TMG-684b.jpg

Remember, certain numbers are hard to acquire on Tamla_Motown

anyone trying to complete the label 500s, 600 etc is after every number.

A price guide would assist, TMG 599 Jimmy Mack was available for many years.

Other titles had a number change as they were re-issued - i.e. "Nowhere To Run"

I hope that this helps shades.gif

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

45cellar

Thanks soooooooo much for that additional information, excellent graphics etc..

I am feeling pretty ignorant that I didn't know this stuff - but I suppose we all have to learn somewhere.

I have just done a bit of "Googling" to try and understand the "SOLD IN THE U.K. SUBJECT TO RESALE PRICE CONDITIONS - SEE PRICE LISTS" message.

Unless I am getting confused here it seems that this message was necessary as a result of the Resale Prices Act which was passed in 1964.

And it was required through to the late 1960's.

Can I be cheeky and ask one more question - i.e. what date was the "Sold in the U.K. . . . . ." message no longer required to be printed on the label?? From the records I have to hand I think it must have been around 1968 or 1969.

I have learned so much from this forum - it really is excellent!!!

Thanks

MB

P.S. And thanks for clarification re the re-issue of "Nowhere to run". I guessed that a different B side was the reason for the new catalogue number.

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert