The Outer Limits?

Guest soulmaguk

Guest soulmaguk

can anyone help with this record! have a look at the picture.. is this the same Outer Limits that recorded One More Chance?..it sounds Modish/Northern..is it rare? Thanks.

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest soulmaguk

i found the record this morning at our local carboot. Soz, dont have the equipment at home for sound clip right now, but will have it done by the end of the week, and i will e-mail you with the clip then. thanks for your reply.

Social source share

So the Patrick Bradley was the second recording seeing Yellow River (is this name from wool dye in The Aire) wrote One More Chance.

Yeah, The Patrick Bradley version is the cover. When it started to get played at Wigan loads of copies of Outer Limits turned up in the record bar as it had been a pretty big seller round Lancashire and Yorkshire so there were copies to be found in second hand shops and market stalls in the area.

Jeff Christie later wrote a song called Yellow River that was offered to the tremeloes. They turned it down so Christie relased under just his surname and got a UK number 1 with it.

Outer Limits "Just One More Chance" came out on Deram in the US and Canada as well.

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

That Leeds 45, I've found two of those round here! Had one on ebay last year but was very disappointing, only went for about 12 quid. It is rare - just hard to sell

You're right Pete. I just PM'd Jock (soulmaguk) about it. It used to be easier to pick up in the North, naturally, so there was a bit of demand from 60s beat collectors in the South, but I reckon they're more evenly distributed since the arrival of online record dealing.

I sold one for £35 to a collector in Oxfordshire but that was about 6 years ago.

Social source share

Outer Limits were Jeff "Yellow River" Christie's band and had singles on Decca, Immediate and Instant as well as Just One more Chance on Deram. The Leeds Uni thing is their first release and can fetch up to fifty quid I think.

:thumbsup: Spot on as usual Godzilla.

Out of interest, the band's last single was in 1970 after Christie had left - it was a cover of the Monkee's ' (I'm not) your stepping stone' - not heard it myself but pretty awful by all accounts!

There's a great photo of the band in Terry Rawlings 'British Beat 1960 - 1969' book - they're looking suitably (no pun intended) mean and moddy (well, 3 of 'em are anyway) outside an old shop posing next to an ancient wooden plough and farm cart - a photo probably constructed to show how 'now' the group were - would've looked better next to a few Lambrettas or a mini cooper though me thinks! One of the band members is sat on the cart wearing a coat with the biggest collars on it you've ever seen, with hair that looks like a badly fitted 'syrup'!!!!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!