Gary Us Bonds

Guest Souljunkie

Guest Souljunkie

Me and my brothers friend, the one who sold me the Queen of fools bootleg

were talking earlier in our local, anyway we got chatting about Northern Soul

and he came up with the notion that Gary US Bonds was one of his favourate

soul artists :lol: , now when i said to him that bonds songs were more rock & roll

orientated he got a bit pissed off and said i don't know my arse from my head :lol:

Is that why ''Quarter to Three'' is noted in the rock & roll hall of fame then was

my reply, again he said you know f... all, and walked off.

Could i be wrong here ?

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

soul artists :lol: , now when i said to him that bonds songs were more rock & roll

orientated he got a bit pissed off and said i don't know my arse from my head :lol:

Is that why ''Quarter to Three'' is noted in the rock & roll hall of fame then was

Could i be wrong here ?

NO

Social source share

Could i be wrong here ?

Gary U.S. Bonds - I always assumed the gentleman to have been / be a R & B / Rock & Roll singer , but soul singer ? ..........

His R & B hits covered a period between 1960 amd 1962 , several years before the genre transended into what became generally known as soul music ..........

Gary U.S. Bonds

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gary U.S. Bonds - Background information

Birth name Gary Anderson

Born June 6, 1939 (1939-06-06) (age 69)

Jacksonville, Florida

Instrument(s) Vocals

Gary U.S. Bonds (born Gary Anderson, 6 June 1939) is an American rhythm and blues and rock and roll singer. He is also a prolific songwriter.

Career

Born in Jacksonville, Florida, Bonds was living in Norfolk, Virginia in the 1950s when he began singing publicly in church, and with a group called The Turks. He joined record producer Frank Guida's small Legrand record label and Guida changed Andersons name to U.S. Bonds in hope that it would be confused with a public service announcement advertising the sale of government bonds and thus get more airplay.

Bonds' first hit was the song "New Orleans", which was followed by "Not Me", a flop for Bonds, but later a hit for The Orlons, and then by his only Number One hit, "Quarter To Three" in June 1961. Subsequent hits, under the name Gary U.S. Bonds, included "School Is Out", "Dear Lady Twist", "School Is In" and "Twist, Twist, Senora" in the early 1960s. In a 1963 tour of Europe, he headlined above The Beatles. His hits had an infectious joyfulness and a unique sound: some have described them as seeming to have been recorded under water.

"Quarter To Three" appears on The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll list.

In the early 1980s, Bonds had a career resurgence, working off collaborations with Bruce Springsteen, Steven Van Zandt, and the E Street Band. Later hits included "This Little Girl" (his comeback hit in 1981, which reached #11), "Jol Blon" and "Out Of Work". Bonds continues to release albums sporadically, and today is a mainstay of the nostalgia concert circuit.

While Gary U.S. Bonds is mostly known for achievements within rhythm and blues and rock and roll, he often transcends these genres, e.g. he has been nominated for the Country Music Association's "Songwriter of the Year" distinction. He is also an honoree of the Rhythm & Blues Foundation. Bonds is an accomplished golfer and often plays celebrity PGA Tour events.

He was inducted into the Long Island Music Hall of Fame on 15 October 2006.

Billboard's Top 100

"New Orleans" # 6, 1960

"Quarter To Three" # 1, 1961

"School Is Out" # 5, 1961

"School Is In" # 28, 1961

"Dear Lady Twist" # 9, 1961

"Twist Twist Se±ora" # 10, 1962

"Seven Day Weekend" # 27, 1962

"Copy Cat" # 92, 1962

The following three records were done with Bruce Springsteen : definately rock & roll / " son of Springsteen " than soul ......

"This Little Girl" # 11, 1981

"Jole Blon" # 65, 1981

"Out of Work" # 21, 1982

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The truth of the matter is that many of the early 80s tracks that Bonds cut with the E Street Band are soulful in the extreme, particularly the fantastic duet with Chuck Jackson, "Club Soul City"...

Let's not forget, either, that Bonds co-wrote many of Swamp Dogg's best productions, among them Doris Duke's "To The Other Woman (I'm The Other Woman)" and Freddie North's "She's All I Got". There's nothing very rock'n' roll about the records he cut in the late 60s and early 70s with Swamp, either.

Rather like Little Richard, in fact, even though his best known records are not, for the most part, "Soul Music", he's a decidedly soulful singer, and it's very perceptive of Souljunkie's mate to realise that. Had he come to prominence about five years later than he did, there's no doubt in my mind that Gary US Bonds would be regarded as a true soul great, rather than as a Rock 'n' Roll museum piece.

...and "Quarter To Three" is still a fabulous record, of course. :lol:

Social source share

Gary Bonds is a soulful singer and a great writer.

He helped write "I Don't Care Anymore", "She's All I Got", "Feet Start Walking", "To The Other Woman", "Did I Come Back Too Soon" etc.

That's good enough for me.

Paul

Social source share

One of US Bonds' last records on SPQR from 1965 , an up tempo track called "Sarah Jane" is a northern biggie waiting to happen.

I'm surprised that it's yet to be picked up by the scene. Must be elusive as I've only seen demos ... on the rare occasions that I've seen it.

By '65 he had left the twist sound behind and obviously decided to move with the times .

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!