Chris Savory R.i.p

Nickinstoke

Guest leesoul

I REMBER CHRIS VERY WELL WHEN I WAS YNGER AT DERBY GUILDHALL RECORD FAIRS HE FOUND ME A COPY OF JHONNY C DONT DEPEND ON ME ORINGAL WHITE PHILA A OF SOUL DEMO COST ME A FIVER WHEN I SOLD MY 45S ABOUT 7 YEARS AGO ROB SMITH KEPT THE SAME COPY FOR HIS OWN COLLECTION CHRIS WAS A GREAT GUY TO MEET N CHAT TO LOVED SOUL MUSIC RIP

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Views 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I have only just found out about Chris's death. I was really shocked. Like many people I got to know Chris through his magazine Hot Buttered Soul but it was during the days when he sold records at the Ritz All-dayers that I really got to know him. I often met up with him when he started his record fairs. In later years, I used to see him in New Brighton when he ran fairs there and we would chat about old times. He was very supportive when I had my Willie Walker release out - inviting me on to the show and calling up Willie to have a chat on air.

He was such a friendly guy who had time for everyone and was so helpful.

Chris RIP

Social source share

• 6 years later...
Guest OldGuysStillRock

I understand this post regarding Chris Savory is over 6 years old but I only just found out and wanted to pay my respects to him.

I ran a record shop in Cambridge from 1973 to 1980 called Remember Those Oldies and we stocked Hot Buttered Soul. I then met him at various records fairs and got to know him. Then, when I started my own record collecting magazine called Music Collector in 1989 he invited me onto his radio show.

He was a lovely man and I was extremely shocked to read of his passing.

So tonight I will raise a glass and remember him. God bless you Chris.

Social source share

• 11 months later...
On 9/3/2009 at 20:48, nickinstoke said:

Sorry to report that Chris Savory died on Tuesday 1st September, aged 62. Chris would have been well known to many members of this forum, as a collector, dealer, record fair organiser, broadcaster, writer, magazine publisher and occasional DJ, among many other activities. He was a major fan of soul music and turned me on to some great tunes.

Nick

Just read this and looked at a bunch of paperwork in front of me on the table and there sat an old list from Chris ('73, I think) from when he lived at 36 Scrapsgate rd. Minster, Kent. What a coincidence! Didn't know him but his lists were always great. He always used to finish the list by saying "see you cats". This one has a great sales cassette with Tony Hestor, Frank Beverly, Terrible Tom, Morris Chestnut, Sharon Scott, The Styles, Sandy Waddy ,The Accents,  Al Wilson just to name a few

Social source share

On 3/26/2016 at 13:57, OldGuysStillRock said:

I understand this post regarding Chris Savory is over 6 years old but I only just found out and wanted to pay my respects to him.

I ran a record shop in Cambridge from 1973 to 1980 called Remember Those Oldies and we stocked Hot Buttered Soul. I then met him at various records fairs and got to know him. Then, when I started my own record collecting magazine called Music Collector in 1989 he invited me onto his radio show.

He was a lovely man and I was extremely shocked to read of his passing.

So tonight I will raise a glass and remember him. God bless you Chris.

What Street was your shop on (in Cambridge)? BTW I remember on his old lists he used to put "Don't forget for the best in soul dig H.B.S"

Social source share

Only yesterday was I looking at stuff with Chris's name on it.

It was a huge list of London and area record shops circa 1971.

I wonder if anyone else has a copy?

I have most of the HBS series and find them a pleasure to read again after all those years.

Chris was a top soul man and I'm truly sorry to only learn of his passing 8 years after the event.

Social source share

• 5 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert