Do Your Read

the gummf written by people selling records on Ebay? would you seroulsy bid $334 on a record that by the sounds of it you won't be able to hear that well? Though fair play to the seller with his precise description...

12 bids as well :thumbsup:

THE CAUTIONS

(SHRINE REFERENCE ACETATE 7") -

"WATCH YOUR STEP"

Here is an item so rare, it just might be truly ONE-OF-A-KIND! This is THE CAUTIONS - WATCH YOUR STEP - (scheduled to be released as Shrine 104) reference ACETATE recorded at Edgewood Recording Studios in Washington DC. It is a ONE SIDED 7" METAL BASED reference recording. These kinds of records were made for the artists or producer to make an immediate, personal copy after a recording session. They were hand-cut in a mastering lab onto metallic, or acetate, discs. I wish I could tell you this is a MINT specimen, but I cannot. Although the disc retains a little shine, there are visible needle marks or scuffs. It plays all the way through, yet surface noise/hiss is all-too-obvious and greatly significant. In other words, this is definitely not an audiophile's dream disc. But it IS an extremely rare item, and would fill the void in a Shrine Collector's library. Even framed, this would be a conversation piece. It is being sold as an historic artifact.

Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

It's an acetate, and just about every acetate plays with background noise/hiss. I think the seller is being very honest in their description, and good on them for being so clear, although the reserve they have on it could be another matter laugh.gif

For me, acetates are wonderful pieces of history. I know that many couldn't care less about them, but how many copies of an acetate exist in comparison to the number of 45s of that track that get pressed - and how many of these fragile acetates survive the rigours of age?

In a scene that values a 45 with a certain colour label higher than those without it, or thinks that the difference in lettering or design used on a release can increase or decrease the value of a 45, then why more don't value acetates for the extreme rarities that they are is beyond me. Still, the longer people continue to dismiss them, the happier I become - regardless of their sound quality... thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!