Ebay Transaction

Ok, this is not strictly related to record-buying. On sunday i purchased 3 vintage soul posters (actually it's vintage ads from billboard magazine, 11" x 14"). Total amount is approx 64 $.

I get an invoice stating 24 $ for insured shipping to Italy. Now, as the parcel is surely very light and as i understand that they might have had problems in sending the goods to italy (that is where i am based), i ask them to send the posters registered, instead of insured.

Actually i have never had any problem with parcels, and in 15+ years of buying records from abroad i only had one parcel lost, which i suppose was never sent out...

The seller decides to cancel the transaction, and this is the message i got from him when i politely asked him to state costs for registered delivery

This is really out of order, and really disappointed me.

Is there any way that i can report these guys to ebay??

thanx,

giuls

Gentile soulfuljules,

message from RECORD RAT

This will be final communication from our company regarding these transactions.

Here is the reason we no longer wish to carry out this transaction. We paid 45.00 for the items you purchased for 64.00. This leaves us 19.00. Ebay charged us 11.00 for listing and selling fees (which we can't recoup unless you agree to cancel transactions). That leaves us 8.00. Paypal will then assess a transaction fee of 2.86 - that now leaves us with 5.14. The shipping/handling fee we asked for is legitimate for the care we take in packing and shipping in specific to ITALY. We have to pay an employee an hourly wage to package with care. 10 minutes of his hourly 12.00 wage is 1.20 - that leaves 3.94. We also pay an employee an hourly wage to answer computer correspondence - her hourly wage is 14.50. As she has spent nearly an hour going back and forth with you regarding the details of this transaction - we are now LOSING MONEY -10.56 for this transaction. This is the reason we can no longer consider this transaction legitimate as we are now losing money everytime you make additional demands and requests.

Thank you for your understanding in finalizing cancellation of this transaction.

The Staff

- recordratClicca su Rispondi per rispondere tramite la sezione I miei messaggi, oppure rispondi direttamente dal tuo account email s.gifbtnRespond.gif

Da: soulfuljules

A: recordrat

Oggetto: Re: Other: soulfuljules sent a message about BRUNSWICK RECORDS 1971 Soul Promo Ad JACKIE WILSON more #350417909482

Data di invio: Feb-15-11 05:49:07 PST

Dear recordrat,

Sorry to bother you once more, but from my point of view my request was fairly simple.

that is, can you please re-send me an invoice that would state shipping costs for registered delivery instead of insured delivery. There is a difference between the two forms of delivery. and the registered delivery proves to be cheaper.

In any case, if you send out the goods registered you have delivery proof, which will allow you to protect yourself in case of paypal claims.

I think my understading and my writing of the english language is fairly good and has never prevented me from carrying out any of the 1000+ transactions in the past 10 years or so on ebay.

I don't see any communication problem from my side.

It seems to me that you are not willing to deal with me, but the reason is not that clear.

Can you please elaborate?

Best,

Giulio

- soulfuljules

To: soulfuljules

Subject: Oggetto: Altro: soulfuljules ti ha inviato un messaggio relativo all'inserzione BRUNSWICK RECORDS 1971 Soul Promo Ad JACKIE WILSON more numero 350417909482

Sent Date: 15-feb-11 12:42:38 CET

Gentile soulfuljules,

message from RECORD RAT

Obviously you cannot appreciate our shipping position while likewise, we seem to be having trouble communicating - basically we canot come to agreeme on how this transaction should be shipped. We think it would be wise at this point to mutually cancel the transaction. This way, we will be able to recoup the steep fees assessed to our acount for this items, and you will nbot receive any alerts or stikes from ebay.

Thank you for your consideration in accepting the transactions.

Perhaps we can do business sometime in the future.

The Staff

- recordrat

Oggetto: Re: Other: soulfuljules sent a message about BRUNSWICK RECORDS 1971 Soul Promo Ad JACKIE WILSON more #350417909482

Data di invio: Feb-14-11 22:53:53 PST

Dear recordrat,

Hello, yes i understand about the problems you have had

with italian customers/post service.

In fact i suggested that you send me another invoice with

registered delivery instead of insured.

That way, we can keep track of the parcel without any

problem and it will prove to be some 10 usd cheaper for me.

Looking forward to receiving the new invoice.

Atb,

Giulio

- soulfuljules

To: soulfuljules

Subject: Oggetto: Altro: soulfuljules ti ha inviato un messaggio relativo all'inserzione BRUNSWICK RECORDS 1971 Soul Promo Ad JACKIE WILSON more numero 350417909482

Sent Date: 14-feb-11 19:07:34 CET

Gentile soulfuljules,

reply form RECORD RAT

We are glad that you have had good luck in receiving packages. We on the other hand have had quite a difference experience. Of the past 30,000 plus packages we have shipped, we have lost a total of 11. All of these 11 packages have been "lost" by post office in Italy. It is now a company policy to ship registered to Italy. Howeve, we do intend to declare the value as 9.00 value so that you will not have to pay duties.

Thank you for your buasiness.

The Staff

- recordrat

Oggetto: Other: soulfuljules sent a message about BRUNSWICK RECORDS 1971 Soul Promo Ad JACKIE WILSON more #350417909482

Data di invio: Feb-14-11 09:00:25 PST

Dear recordrat,

Hello,

I've just received the invoice for this and 2 other posters that i won on ebay. I was wondering if you could re-calculate total due including registered delivery (which should be approx 15 usd), but NOT registered delivery.

I don't actually need it, as i have never had anything lost + if you declare the actual value, I would have to pay crazy money on custom duties.

So i would really appreciate if you could send these posters with registered delivery and declare 15 usd value.

please let me know.

best,

giulio

- soulfuljules

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Tell them to get stuffed ! I recently sold some job lots on ebay and each was worth at least £50 and I got an

average of £12 + Postage that I had put at £1.90 (Doh!) but I still sent them with a note telling the buyer that

I hope they enjoy them! , that's how it goes . They are well out of order :yes:

I Know this doesn't help you but I'll not use them :shhh:

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

I may just don't get it: seller sends insured only and buyer insists on the goods being sent just registered? if that's the case why is it a scam?

It is a scam because my feeling is that they are willing to send it registered when in fact they claim to send it insured.

They talk about "reasonable" cost for p&p, not about actual cost, thus indicating they want to earn on p&p rates.

The guy makes it pretty clear that they earn very little out of the actual cost, so they charge 25$ for 3 sheets of paper...

In any case, how can i report this to ebay?

thanx,

g

Edited by soulfuljules
Social source share

if a seller uses registered mail he's not necessarily protected from the buyer since it's not traceable online.

With "priority mail" the insurance coverage won't be paid if Italy claims they delivered the package. Seller was protected by the tracking but you may be out the money even though you pay for the insurance.

You could offer to send the payment as personal funds if he agrees to the registered mail. He would be protected but you will still be at risk if it doesn't arrive.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert