Tyrone Davis

Guest Johnny One Trout

Guest Johnny One Trout

Heard that Tyrone Davis had had a simultaneous stroke and heart attack ...

[post edited by moderator - was previously part of an other topic]

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Have just been informed that Tyrone suffered a mild stroke last Thursday, and should be home from hospital this week sometime.

We all wish him a speedy recovery.

Social source share

A couple of great 45's by Tyrone Davis

You keep me holding on (Dakar)

I'll be right here (Dakar)

Tommy Soul also did a version of "I'll be right here" on Gaslight.

Anyone know which came out first ?

Take your pick the Tyrone Davis version at £5 or Tommy Soul at £500.

soulmac.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

He's one of the best..

Fave Tyrone D. track:

"in the mood"

"can i change my mind?"

"let me back in"

best

Leo

That wouldn't be far off my three favourites Leo ;o)))

John

Social source share

This was posted onto another list.

"There has been a great deal of misinformation regarding what has happened to Tyrone. He has suffered a mild stroke and is in serious condition in intensive care at a Chicago area hospital. He was complaining of headaches while on tour in the Southern U.S. and was admitted to the hospital upon returning to Chicago, where he suffered the stroke. Initial reports said that he suffered a stroke followed by two heart attacks--that report has been refuted, it was only a stroke and nothing else."

If anyone wishes to send cards and/or flowers to Tyrone, please send them to this address:

Tyrone Davis

c/o Platinum Records

P.O. Box 6704

Villa Park, IL. 60181

There is also a place to send get-well wishes on line: getwelltyrone@yahoo.com

Please remember to keep Tyrone in your prayers!

Social source share

Speaking of Mr. Davis, and 'Can I Change My Mind'...

He's one of the best..

Fave Tyrone D. track:

"in the mood"

"can i change my mind?"

"let me back in"

best

Leo

Has anyone heard of the release label, Tanny? I thought it was only available on Dakar, but I pulled it out of a sales box a few months ago for £5 I think, and have never seen/heard of another, this making me think it's pretty rare! It's a silver, moulded label with black, blotchy text (will attach to next post, just scanning now and I can't be arsed to wait).

All help appreciated.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Update on Tyrone's recovery, as published in the Chicago Sun Times yesterday, 17 November 2004.

Tyrone's Friends Rally Round

Tyrone Davis is the prototype for contemporary rhythm and blue singers like R. Kelly and Nelly. He explores the complete register of a man's emotion, riding from forgiveness in his first big hit, "Can I Change My Mind," to the uppercut punch of "Home Wreckers" to the between-the-sheets adventure of "Freak."

An Oak Brook resident, Davis suffered a stroke on Sept. 7 and slipped into a coma on Sept. 14. His death was mistakenly reported on local radio. But Davis does not go down easy. He is recuperating at RML, a Rush University Medical Center and Loyola University Medical Center partnership in Hinsdale. It's the only not-for-profit long-term acute care hospital in Illinois. Friends report that Davis is alert but cannot speak or walk.

An unprecedented assemblage of local blues and soul talent gathers this week for "Heart & Soul," a benefit for Davis at the Harold Washington Cultural Center, 4701 S. King, Chicago.

The line-up features Buddy Guy, Koko Taylor and soul singers J. Blackfoot and Willie Clayton. Appearing Thursday (18th Novemebr) are Chicago soul legends Jerry Butler and Gene Chandler, Denise LaSalle and Otis Clay, one of Davis' closest friends. Jimmy Tillman and the Harold Washington Cultural Center Orchestra will back all artists. The orchestra includes Tom "Tom Tom 84" Washington, who arranged the horn charts for "Can I Change My Mind." All proceeds will help defray costs of Davis' medical treatment.

"Tyrone is a fighter," said Clay, who visits his friend three times a week. "This cat has kicked a lot of things, and this one is going to be rough. But with his will, he's going to be OK."

Davis is 66 years old. His sense of conviction and style helped him put 43 singles on the Billboard R&B charts between 1968 and 1988. Over the past several years he has suffered from heart trouble and prostate cancer, but he did not slow down. He remains a major draw in the South. Davis recently recorded for the Southern Soul labels Ichiban and Malaco Records. He was performing in New Orleans when he became ill.

Davis was born in Greenville, Miss., and at age 19 he moved with his divorced father to Saginaw, Mich. Davis arrived in Chicago in 1950 and became a valet for bluesman Freddie King. Clay met Davis in 1962 when they worked side-by-side in the shipping department of National Castings in Chicago. Their bond was never broken.

"Sometimes we talked two or three times a day about music," Clay said last week. "I got the Sam Cooke box set, and there's a song on there called 'Keep Movin' On.' I was at the hospital. I leaned over and I started singing the song. His eyes flew wide open. This was at Mount Sinai [where Davis was hospitalized in September]. We were saying goodbye.

"Another time Marvin Smith [of the Artistics] came in. He got real emotional. Then he started singing the same song, and his eyes opened. I'm thinking, 'Whoa!' "

Music was a healing force for Clay after he was nearly killed in an August 1984 automobile accident that resulted in nine broken ribs and a 15-day hospital stay.

Clay said concert organizers Tobacco Road Inc. hope to raise $100,000 with the two shows. A separate Davis benefit concert featuring Little Milton and Bobby Rush was held last week in Tunica, Miss. Clay said Davis has insurance, but the long-term prognosis will require lots of money. "It's going to be a long road," Clay said. "It puts a strain on everything around you, including insurance."

Jerry Butler is a board member emeritus of the Rhythm and Blues Foundation, a nonprofit advocacy and historical preservation group based in Washington, D.C. The foundation has been vigilant about tracking down royalties for artists from the 1960s such as Davis, who consistently appear on reissues, box sets and soundtracks.

"We've settled issues out of court to the tune of about $75,000 per [artist]," Butler said last week. "A lot of those artists were dropped from AFTRA [American Federation of Television and Radio Artists] for insurance and health care. They were put back in. [Davis is in AFTRA.] And they have been credited for years [previously] not credited. Some of it is still pending, and some of the artists are still hoping to win additional sums.

"The question is not so much if Tyrone will see anything [from royalties, but will he] see what it is worth?"

Rhythm and blues artists of the 1950s and '60s have not been receiving a royalty rate commensurate to newer artists. Butler said, "There's all this new technology, but numbers are based in 1963. We're at the mercy of the record companies [to adjust rates].

"Carl Gardner [of the Coasters] was just telling me he was in his late 70s and if he didn't settle now, he may not live to see any of it. I look around. I'm the baby of the group. And I'm 65!" Butler promises to deliver hits like "For Your Precious Love," "Western Union Man" and "Only the Strong Survive" in Thursday's rare hometown appearance.

It has been a little over a year since Koko Taylor had life-threatening surgery to correct gastrointestinal bleeding. She goes through cardiovascular rehabilitation three days a week at Northwestern University downtown.

"I'm not well," Taylor said last week while mall shopping with her daughter Joyce. "But I'm not as bad as I was. At least I'm up on my feet and on the street. I'm doing some light shows, but the doctors say I'm not ready for the big stuff."

Although Taylor is covered by insurance, but in 2002 she established the nonprofit Koko Taylor's Celebrity Aid Foundation for musicians who are in need. The foundation doesn't supply cash, but it pays bills. "I am saddened Tyrone is in the condition he is in," Taylor said. "But I love him like a little brother." And this week there will be lots of brotherly love in Bronzeville.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!