Polished 45

Julianb

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

JM has a Sherrys on his latest list and says he would have auctioned it, if it hadn't been 'polished'. What exactly does this mean and how can you tell is a 45 has been 'polished'?

Also, how much do you think a Mint- unpolished original of this oldie is worth?

Polishing a record is carried out to remove all light scratches off the surface. If a record has been polished, it will have a blurred or very unnatural glaze to it. Sometimes it may even sound awful, and/or play out white residue, depending what's been used.

UK records are polished using steam to soften the surface, and by pressing down on the hot surface in a cleaning action. It can improve some UK records, but on others, the consequences are disastrous, causing mottling and and audible hiss.

The same can't be said for US records; steam heat doesn't take to them as easily. Other types of fluid cleanser seems to be used for these, but don't ask me what! Not sure if some form of heat is used in the process.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

JM has a Sherrys on his latest list and says he would have auctioned it, if it hadn't been 'polished'. What exactly does this mean and how can you tell is a 45 has been 'polished'?

Price on JJ? But on HOT about £300 sold a mint copy to big Tim at SOT all-nighter

3 years ago for a bit under this price with swaps on Hot

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

and also used to make a record look far better than it is - to the detrement of the 45.

heard of some people using t-cut to polish them

either that or JM means that its some sort of eastern European boot lol

I use Mr Sheen myself. yes.gif
Social source share

Pollished records are only acceptable if they are discounted and graded as polished. The main man for polishing has done it for over 20 years and does an expert job.. but in the last few years there's been everyone and his dog doing it, and some records are trashed by the attempting to make the visual grade better.

The correct way to do it: I believe, is to spin the disc at high speed on a drill and gently apply a soft cloth or tissue onto the surface and gradually move across it. If you not an expert it causes friction and "bends" the top of the groove..causing "hissssss" on play or even warping the whole vinyl. As for Steam, t-cut, chemicals, a stray cat or sandpaper I think those methods are for unskilled renovator. I wouldn't advise anyone to polish records.. it certainly only adds value, in a poorly lit niter.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Pollished records are only acceptable if they are discounted and graded as polished. The main man for polishing has done it for over 20 years and does an expert job.. but in the last few years there's been everyone and his dog doing it, and some records are trashed by the attempting to make the visual grade better.

The correct way to do it: I believe, is to spin the disc at high speed on a drill and gently apply a soft cloth or tissue onto the surface and gradually move across it. If you not an expert it causes friction and "bends" the top of the groove..causing "hissssss" on play or even warping the whole vinyl. As for Steam, t-cut, chemicals, a stray cat or sandpaper I think those methods are for unskilled renovator. I wouldn't advise anyone to polish records.. it certainly only adds value, in a poorly lit niter.

John, I was only joking when I said I use Mr Sheen, the only thing I apply is a little soapy water on a bit of cotton wool to get grime out of the grooves. thumbsup.gif
Social source share

John, I was only joking when I said I use Mr Sheen, the only thing I apply is a little soapy water on a bit of cotton wool to get grime out of the grooves.

I use a pots and pans cleaning sponge avoiding the scour side. First i rinse it with just running water for a while then apply a fairy and gently push the soap up to the grooves in same rotation as needle,Helps if you dont have seggs or rough hands cause you can feel for any particles rolling between finger and disc ,then with sponge i dab slightly to the same direction up into the groove as needle rotation/Slight downwards pressure and then lift! going round slowly like this using a suction pull helps lift the grime out.Then with it still wet i play it /rinse it again and repeat one more time, after second playing a final good rinse allowing the tap to flow again up into the groove/let it dry for 5 mins!

Social source share

John, I was only joking when I said I use Mr Sheen, the only thing I apply is a little soapy water on a bit of cotton wool to get grime out of the grooves.

I use a pots and pans cleaning sponge avoiding the scour side. First i rinse it with just running water for a while then apply a fairy and gently push the soap up to the grooves in same rotation as needle,Helps if you dont have seggs or rough hands cause you can feel for any particles rolling between finger and disc ,then with sponge i dab slightly to the same direction up into the groove as needle rotation/Slight downwards pressure and then lift! going round slowly like this using a suction pull helps lift the grime out.Then with it still wet i play it /rinse it again and repeat one more time, after second playing a final good rinse allowing the tap to flow again up into the groove/let it dry for 5 mins!

I used to do something similar only with a brillo pad. Now I find the dishwasher does just as good a job - especially with Finish tablets.

Social source share

I used to do something similar only with a brillo pad. Now I find the dishwasher does just as good a job - especially with Finish tablets.

You might have something with the dishwasher method!

They(dont knoe who they are?)have invented a Triple action Tablet you just shove it in!!!,It dissolves the stubborness grime know to man in a jiffythrice!

Its just protecting the labels thats the problem i use Duckfat.

Social source share

You might have something with the dishwasher method!

They(dont knoe who they are?)have invented a Triple action Tablet you just shove it in!!!,It dissolves the stubborness grime know to man in a jiffythrice!

Its just protecting the labels thats the problem i use Duckfat.

Yes, M those finish tabs are a marvel - especially now they have the gel capsule - you don't need rinse aid at all!

I usually steam the labels off and stick them back on afterwards but think I'll try your idea of duckfat. If it doesn't work I can always eat it on toast.

Social source share

Yes, M those finish tabs are a marvel - especially now they have the gel capsule - you don't need rinse aid at all!

I usually steam the labels off and stick them back on afterwards but think I'll try your idea of duckfat. If it doesn't work I can always eat it on toast.

:lol:wink.gif Duckfat toasties on Disc is this good soulfood! whats a good tune to go with it i wonder?

Answers on a postcard.

And appologies if this has nothing to do with polishing records. :thumbsup:

Social source share

:D:D Duckfat toasties on Disc is this good soulfood! whats a good tune to go with it i wonder?

Answers on a postcard.

And appologies if this has nothing to do with polishing records. wink.gif

Gotta be a double header:

Toast to The Lady - Eddie Wilson and, of course - The Shotgun and The Duckfat - Jackie Lee

I have both but neither are polished. There you go - back on subject! :thumbsup: :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert