Terry Sampson

As you do , when meeting old faces , the subject of " whatever happened to .... " / " do you still see .... " invariably comes up . This has been the case over the last few months with the name of Terry " ok-okay-okeh " Sampson .

Terry was , as we all know , one of the major promoters in the mid - 70s , and more so , because of his personna , soon became one of the more notable characters on / of the scene during that period .

I worked for Terry many times , with the most memorable time being that of / at the first KGB all - nighter in Sheffield ( 1977 ? - apologies for the senior moment in not recalling exactly when ) : The place was packed , and as a result of this , the number of bodies inside caused the temperature and humidity levels to rise ..... drastically . As the stage was situated underneath a curved roof - covered in aluminium foil or similar - it meant the condensation within the place had a better place to cling onto besides the other walls in the KGB ...... until it decided to release its' large accumulation of droplets of water onto the person and decks - and the respective electrical equipment - below . At one point , it was akin to the renowned Gene Kelly / Singing In The Rain movie scene . When this was pointed out to Terry , he replied " don't worry - I've got a spare set of

decks " ...... The next person to follow me DJing was the late , great Bub , who , when queing up his first record , turned to me and said " if I had known it was going to be like this , I'd have brought my f***ing trunks " Priceless .

In order to give me some ammunition in respect of a reply to that question - does anyone know what happened to El Tel ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

As you do , when meeting old faces , the subject of " whatever happened to .... " / " do you still see .... " invariably comes up . This has been the case over the last few months with the name of Terry " ok-okay-okeh " Sampson .

Terry was , as we all know , one of the major promoters in the mid - 70s , and more so , because of his personna , soon became one of the more notable characters on / of the scene during that period .

I worked for Terry many times , with the most memorable time being that of / at the first KGB all - nighter in Sheffield ( 1977 ? - apologies for the senior moment in not recalling exactly when ) : The place was packed , and as a result of this , the number of bodies inside caused the temperature and humidity levels to rise ..... drastically . As the stage was situated underneath a curved roof - covered in aluminium foil or similar - it meant the condensation within the place had a better place to cling onto besides the other walls in the KGB ...... until it decided to release its' large accumulation of droplets of water onto the person and decks - and the respective electrical equipment - below . At one point , it was akin to the renowned Gene Kelly / Singing In The Rain movie scene . When this was pointed out to Terry , he replied " don't worry - I've got a spare set of

decks " ...... The next person to follow me DJing was the late , great Bub , who , when queing up his first record , turned to me and said " if I had known it was going to be like this , I'd have brought my f***ing trunks " Priceless .

In order to give me some ammunition in respect of a reply to that question - does anyone know what happened to El Tel ?

Malc Burton

Was gonna`,post sumit`,better not :thumbsup:

Social source share

Seem to think he lived in Bradford after the Bierkeller club he ran closed down. We're probably talking at least 10-15 years ago occassionally used to see him in town and say hello.

derek

Thanks for that Derek . Terry was old ( mid / late 50s ? ) back in the 70's , so he must now be in his 80s and possibly in a OAP home ..... calling the bingo & shouting " Ok , Okay , Okeh " .

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

he must now be in his 80s and possibly in a OAP home .....

Won't be long before you'll be bumping into him then Malc.

:)

Seriously though, I worked a lot for Terry too (and a helluva lot for you too Mr Burton) and I always recall the label he had stuck to the decks with the legend:-

"If you've only got time to play 20 records play your best 20"

Course I was stuffed, as I always left my best stuff at home!

(Oops... I don't mean I was literally 'stuffed' ...although, come to think of it... I always seemed to get paid more than the other Jocks)

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

Won't be long before you'll be bumping into him then Malc.

wink.gif

Seriously though, I worked a lot for Terry too (and a helluva lot for you too Mr Burton) and I always recall the label he had stuck to the decks with the legend:-

"If you've only got time to play 20 records play your best 20"

Course I was stuffed, as I always left my best stuff at home!

(Oops... I don't mean I was literally 'stuffed' ...although, come to think of it... I always seemed to get paid more than the other Jocks)

:lol:

Sean

Hi Sean ......

No ...... I am not moving to Gainsborough ; Susan and the Kids ( now 23 , 21 and 18 ) have reserved a place for me in a local home .

The label that Terry placed on the decks was , indeed a legend .

When I have been asked what was the best advice I had been given in my life , I always state the " 20 best records in a hour " one ...... that and never promote Martha Reeves again .

laugh.gif

Appreciate the many times you worked for me , including the removal of the dividing wall between the room and the hallway in our old house in the 1980s .

Up for working for / with me again , you old divil ?

Bless you my son .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

malc..

oi..less of the bless you my son..

thats my line..

ive dj'd for terry too..

at yaddlethorpe village hall..

8=)

bless

jc

Another of us openly admitting to DJing for Terry ...... when all of us sign in - you know who you are - we could possibly hold a reunion : is Yaddlethorpe Village Hall available ? :lol:

Malc

Social source share

Hi Sean ......

No ...... I am not moving to Gainsborough ; Susan and the Kids ( now 23 , 21 and 18 ) have reserved a place for me in a local home .

The label that Terry placed on the decks was , indeed a legend .

When I have been asked what was the best advice I had been given in my life , I always state the " 20 best records in a hour " one ...... that and never promote Martha Reeves again .

:(

Appreciate the many times you worked for me , including the removal of the dividing wall between the room and the hallway in our old house in the 1980s .

Up for working for / with me again , you old divil ?

Bless you my son .

Malc

Hi Malc,

Had totally forgotten about the time I removed the wall in your house.

Has Susan forgiven me yet for the mess that I made?

Would love to work for you again.

You were always a a Top Promoter when I were a lad, Mr Burton. How could I say no!

Really good to see you putting nights on again. Will certainly improve things around S. Yorkshire.

Just let me have the date... and the venue and I'll be there!

Cheers Malc,

whistling.gif

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Malc Burton - promoter/dj.

I remember buying Ko Ko Taylor - (Fire), and Mel Torme from you at 10 bob each on your say so that they were good. (WATH alldayer about 76)

Who was the other guy you used to share the platform with?

If I remember right wasn't Johnny Bruce your brother in law? Hope is still doing OK.

Ed

Social source share

Malc Burton - promoter/dj.

I remember buying Ko Ko Taylor - (Fire), and Mel Torme from you at 10 bob each on your say so that they were good. (WATH alldayer about 76)

Who was the other guy you used to share the platform with?

If I remember right wasn't Johnny Bruce your brother in law? Hope is still doing OK.

Ed

Hi Ed ......

Was the Wath All - Dayer the one at the Mongomery Hall with Richard Searling ? Ko Ko Taylor and Mel Torme for 10 bob each ....... what a bargain ! Both still top sides .

As to the guy I used to share the platform with , I am unsure , as I have " worked " with many celebraties down the years ...... but it is likely to have been Reg Williams ( 30 years on , I am still doing so , as Reg is with me / part of the furniture at THE CORNER POCKET at Mexborough , South Yorkshire ; Every third Saturday of the month . Saturday October 21st - Guest DJ ROB SMITH )

Johnny Bruce is Reg Williams' brother - in law ; John and myself were very good mates , and I was his best man at his wedding . John became divorced from Reg's sister Ruth , several years ago , and no longer involved in the scene . I spoke to John a few months ago , and he is well , and still the same John .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

As the Metros said 'Time changes things' including my memory.

Yes the Mont Hall. Biggest record as I remember was Sliced Tomatoes, as there were a few mod/parka boys in.

I worked for Johns Dad (Ray RIP) and bought and sold a few tunes with John (I sold him SITTING IN MY CLASS for £50. Good price 25 years ago, bad price today I think). Not seen him since the Earl of Doncaster/Waggy events.

Reg Williams was the name I remember with you now you mentioned it.

Thanks for the update.

Ed

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert