Richard Selwood - Gloucester

Julianb

I was discussing english collectors yesterday with alan Pollard and I mentioned the above guy and alan didn't know of him.

I seem to remember he was from the Gloucester or Cheltenham area and collected in the late 60s'early 70s ( used to see him at the Torch etc). Never bought an import just english and he did sales lists.

Does anyone else remember him, or is he still around?

Julian

Social source share

• Replies 58
  • Views 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I was discussing english collectors yesterday with alan Pollard and I mentioned the above guy and alan didn't know of him.

I seem to remember he was from the Gloucester or Cheltenham area and collected in the late 60s'early 70s ( used to see him at the Torch etc). Never bought an import just english and he did sales lists.

Julian

only you are old enough to remember him :D

mark

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

Julian

yeah he used to live in selo rd i haven't seen him around for a while essie brown might know more about him

leon

Edited by Glawsters Best
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

This is surely one and the same Richard Selwood who DJ'd at gay clubs under the name "Tricky Dicky" and who, for many years, also ran Trax Records in various locations in Soho? I remember getting copies of Arthur Miles' "Helping Hand" in his shop in the early 90s, on the original Italian label, and I'm sure he told me then that he remembered my name from buying records off his list in the late 60s.

I'm not 100% certain, but pretty much so...

TONE

Social source share

I had the pleasure to skive off school and work for him at the shop and gererally hang round ´he packed it all in when some bastards broke in and stole his collection top sounds of the time, Robert Banks,Clara Ward, P. P Arnold ,Duke Browner etc,

Steve

....and it was while you were working for him that you did that tape (copy of a copy?) of Alan Days big tunes for me, the above plus Dickie Wonder, Rozetta Johnson, Alex Brown on Tangerine etc...talk about a big influence! Been on the slippery (vinyl) slope since then! :yes:

Hippo.

Social source share

cant really add to what my old torch mate steve smith has said, and hi leon 2! apparantly mel clapton, mad arse supreme ,told me a while ago dickie is or was back in gloucester and mel had spoken with him several times. he was as mad as f*** about al jolson, but to have a shop selling northern in gloucester in the early 70s was really something, it was a chemists shop too i think !! if your reading this steve i saw sid pratt last week, hes fine. i have a tape & flyer from one of the maxies all dayers, & am going to get howard to print the flyer and playlist by "pep" FROM THE TAPE, IN SOUL Up north VERY BIG SOUNDS FOR £30! IN THOSE DAYS cheers all!! EZZIE how do you contol this keypad? also hi to hippo!1! like being back in the shop on a saturday afternoon! whose gonna carry dickie home this week?

Edited by ezzie brown
Social source share

Sort of related. had a call t'other day from another of Gloucester's early rare soul pioneers, Greg Piontek, used to collect and sell in the days of Tony Berry's "Soul Collector" mag, also from this area, again 1969/70.

Hippo. (feeling younger!)

bloody hell hippo, havent heard that name in years,i remember him though, was he in neddie and chamberlains gang? and while were looking back how about FROGGIE TAYLOR RIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALSO JERRY LOTT AND DAVE COOPER!!!!!!!!!!!!! GETTING SILLY NOW!!! Edited by ezzie brown
Social source share

bloody hell hippo, havent heard that name in years,i remember him though, was he in neddie and chamberlains gang? and while were looking back how about FROGGIE TAYLOR RIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah yes, Froggy, the coolest mod in the town - in '66 he had prime position, best blonde girlfriend, and always parked his Vespa SX right outside the door of the Blue Moon in Cheltenham, the rest had to park in order of "hipness" downwards to the kid with a Honda 50 parking 100 yards up the road!

It was from Froggy that I bought my first imports, he's credited with discovering Sandi Sheldons 45, he and Docker were big mates (what was that notice on the wall in the Wax Machine, Ezzie?). Such a loss to the scene when things went wrong for him.

Hippo.

Social source share

cant remember the notice mate, and as 4 saturday, yes i did speak to them both in a strange kind of way! so im told ! who the f*** are you anyway? i posted something on here a few weeks ago about our coach driver when we went to the torch and how he fell under mels mystical spell one night!!! gotta go work cheers

Social source share

cant remember the notice mate, and as 4 saturday, yes i did speak to them both in a strange kind of way! so im told ! who the f*** are you anyway? i posted something on here a few weeks ago about our coach driver when we went to the torch and how he fell under mels mystical spell one night!!! gotta go work cheers

Smithy might remember it, it was something like "anyone caught nicking records will have their hands cut off by Docker" - certainly enough of a deterrent for me!

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Richard Selwood ,Used to run TheWax Machine records in Worcester Street Gloucester. Before that he had a mailing list from Hare Lane in Gloucester late sixties early seventies.

Really doubt he is he Tricky Dicky that Tony talks about as he moved back to the South coast late seventies,

Steve

You're quite right, Steve - I had a sudden recollection, on the way into work this morning, that 'Tricky Dicky' was actually Richard Scanes - who I also used to get record lists off back in the late 60s, but who was originally based somewhere like Barking, Upminster or somewhere like that on the fringes of Essex.

Sorry to mislead, and also to cast possible doubts on Mr. Selwood's hetrosexual nature :yes:

TONE

Social source share

Wouldn´t say he only collected English but before i met him very likely,the shop was full of imports i used to rummage for hours in the back room,Shakers,Dottie Cambridge and and and all crept out from under heaps of allsorts!

Richard accidently let the name of a secret(then)shop in Bristol RCA.Picton Street which was more like a library of British lables ,the owner would only look if you had the release number,i spent hours looking through popsingles back catalogues(usually on a monday) but it was worth it to come away wth such things as Panic,Shane Martin,jon Ford,Denis Dell,Chapter 5,John Andrews,American Youth Choir,seven cpies of "The Night" 10 micky moonshines etc and previously Froggy had Fathers Angels,PP Arnold,Markettes,Jason Night,Rufus Lumley all for the price of what a new release would cost!

Passed the Address on to Johnny Manship (and Clarkie) in about 1979 when i got fed up wonder what they found?although i got some more things early eighties when i was interested again.

The history of northern soul very interesting.......

Steve

Ps off one of Richards lists a certain Martin Barnfather bought two of my sounds for twelve pounds! Night owl and The Vogues-Thats the tune.

i remember picton st steve, what about exchange and mart in worcester st for motown etc ezzie

Social source share

• 10 months later...
Guest wax machine

Richard Selwood ,Used to run TheWax Machine records in Worcester Street Gloucester. Before that he had a mailing list from Hare Lane in Gloucester late sixties early seventies.

Really doubt he is he Tricky Dicky that Tony talks about as he moved back to the South coast late seventies,

He does get a name check in Swons but that was because he discovered Baby Reconsider and lent it to Bob Crocker who then took it up to the Wheel.

The most famous sound he discovered was Jerry Williams -If you ask me,which he found on holiday in Spain, took it to the Torch was played (Alan Dey)took off too slow!,but robably became the first record that became big/popular due to "The Wax Machine tapes" at the time only the one copywhich incidently had a chip at the begining and became a shortened intro to the emidiscs he first had done!

I had the pleasure to skive off school and work for him at the shop and gererally hang round ´he packed it all in when some bastards broke in and stole his collection top sounds of the time,Robert Banks,Clara Ward,Pp Arnold ,duke Browner etc,also a big Al Jolson fan and member of the Motown Appreciation Society.

Hows that then Leon? good memory or what?

Steve

Social source share

Guest wax machine

Steve - you have one helluva memory!!! I am Richard Selwood, my ears were burning last night so I came up here to put the record straight as I have a real good Memory as well. All of what Steve has said is true, I remember him well and spoke to him on the phone a while back when I was also in touch with Melvin Clapton - I had nothing to do with Trax records or gay clubs, anyone who knows me well will tell you I'm straight so

all that is nonsense. Yeah I had the first copy of Leon Haywood's "Baby Reconsider" on a US Fatfish Demo, I got it from Ray Averys Rare Records in California, Docker almost had a baby when he saw it and BEGGED me to allow him to take it to The Twisted Wheel. As I can't cope with men sobbing I very graciously let him - the rest is history!!

The other big one as Steve said was "If You Ask Me" by Jerry Williams, I bought this in Spain and it was actually played first at The Catacombs by Alan S, he was crazy about it so we made Emi discs of it and then it went to The Torch where Alan Daye Played it

and that was a major soul sound. Steve was also right about the discs being slightly

shorter as the run in had a small scratch. I recall the coact trip back from the Torch that night - a hair raising experience, it's a wonder we all didn't get killed!! I heard that

Docker passed on, does anyone know anything about that? I was in touch by letter about 10 years ago, we were the same age and got on like a house on fire. I used to have a flat in Hare Lane, opposite the fish & chip shop, Carl Dene and Alan S, Froggy

Taylor and many others used to come over for late night sound sessions much to the

displeasure of my then wife Sue who left me over 5 years ago - did a Shirley Valentine on me - one never knows what's 'round the next corner. I remember Greg Piontek and

Jinks/Adam who used to work at The Wax Machine. I moved down South over 30 years

ago and never been back, would like to have a re-union party sometime, still play the Northern Soul sounds as well as Jolson (my first love!!) I'm surprised Steve can remember that!!!. I have to thank Steve for putting the record straight here - yeah

we had some great times, wish I could do it all over again. Please contact me if you

wish - Take Care you guys! Richard Selwood. re: Wax Machine, Gloucester.

Edited by wax machine
Social source share

Hello Richard, Great to see your alive and well, remember Docker raving on about Baby Reconsider when I was DJ at the Wheel I thought he told me Carl was playing it at the Chateau did he get a copy from FL Moore? At that time it was the only sound I had heard of and couldn't get for a while. Do you remember the lads from Bridgnorth who use to come to the Wheel in the summer they worked in Torquay?I can't remember if we did any record dealing happy days and exciting times them. cheers Brian Phillips

Social source share

Hello Richard, Great to see your alive and well, remember Docker raving on about Baby Reconsider when I was DJ at the Wheel I thought he told me Carl was playing it at the Chateau did he get a copy from FL Moore? At that time it was the only sound I had heard of and couldn't get for a while. Do you remember the lads from Bridgnorth who use to come to the Wheel in the summer they worked in Torquay?I can't remember if we did any record dealing happy days and exciting times them. cheers Brian Phillips

Was at Maxies one thursday night when Steve and Larry Grayliss used to do it and Larry found the clubs records. "Fcuk me Dave look a real Leon Haywood". Think the record left that night with Larry :lol:

Welcome Richard

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Guest wax machine

Brian, Great to hear from you too! Did we do any record dealing, don't you remember, I reguarly bought stuff from your list and you too from my lists, didn't you live at 5 Gilpin

walk or something like that?? I think Carl had it first but I don't know where he got it from, don't think it was until much later when Selecta Disc pressed 'em up or was it FL Moore I can't recall, one of your pals used to DJ at a Torquay night spot, I stayed with hIm once and had a hell of a time. Do you remember Nigel Stone, a Gloucester lad, used to go to the wheel and the cats a lot, his dad ran a pub - been trying to chase him for years, he introduced me to the late Bob Crocker of the cats, and Alan S became a great

friend he used to come to Gloucester a lot. In my opinion Carl Dene was one of the best jocks I ever met - is he still kicking? Great times, Great!!! Richard

Social source share

Guest wax machine

Morning Steve, thought of you on Saturday night, you would have loved it!

Back on topic, now maybe I can blame Richard for the fact that I had no money left after a Saturday in the Wax Machine! But it was worth it!

Jerry, Still living in the lap of luxury with the money you used to spend at The Wax Machine - but don't blame me! I had some guys who used to spend their wages with

me every week but in those days I had high costs and Steves wages, not to mention

Jinks, Adam and God knows who else, anything left I put in to records, fortunately my

wife had a good job!! Anyway, forget about the money, we did have good times and

that's all that really matters isn't it? I had some good days and some bad days but

fortunately what I can remember is mostly good - great to catch up with you again!

Best Wishes Richard

Social source share

Guest wax machine

Good to see you on here Richard!

Jerry,

I know Froggy (real name Mike Taylor) passed away. does anyone have any details of why and how old he was, he always reminded me of Jimmy Cagney, very

similar in looks and body language, every time I see Cagney I see Froggy! Yes, he

was THE KID OK. he had more front than South End but knew the game, that guy

could sell ice cream to eskimo's, knew all the sounds before they hit and a walking

almanac of soul music, give him a record number and he would tell you what it was!

Much admired by many people including myself. I have some photos of Froggy,Alan

S, Docker and others at my flat in Hare Lane. Docker - (Graham White) so when did

he pass on and how old - thought you might know, or if not ANYONE?????

I'm thinking of throwing a party in Gloucester soon, anyone interested? I wanna good

DJ with some of the old sounds, pays well!!!!. I am serious of course! Richard

Social source share

:ohmy:

Brian, Great to hear from you too! Did we do any record dealing, don't you remember, I reguarly bought stuff from your list and you too from my lists, didn't you live at 5 Gilpin

walk or something like that?? I think Carl had it first but I don't know where he got it from, don't think it was until much later when Selecta Disc pressed 'em up or was it FL Moore I can't recall, one of your pals used to DJ at a Torquay night spot, I stayed with hIm once and had a hell of a time. Do you remember Nigel Stone, a Gloucester lad, used to go to the wheel and the cats a lot, his dad ran a pub - been trying to chase him for years, he introduced me to the late Bob Crocker of the cats, and Alan S became a great

friend he used to come to Gloucester a lot. In my opinion Carl Dene was one of the best jocks I ever met - is he still kicking? Great times, Great!!! Richard

Hi Richard, your memory must be better than mine cant remember all our dealings and dont sem to recollect a Nigel Stone.I saw Carl when the SWONS project was on he was still doing the occasional gig got to agree he was one of the best DJs a great lad too we use to do a lot of dealing together and with the late Bob Crocker as well. I was having a drink with Alan S quite a bit untill his sad death almost 6 years ago.

Its great how the younger brigade have kept the scene going what a great job they have done,I lost interest in the mid seventies and only revisited due to the SWONS project when people started contacting me,I go to a few events now some great people out there. cheers Brian

Social source share

rich u old git.........hope u remember me ,the one with the twin bro..jake, i think i was one of them that spent there wages in the shop! still got the remains of a flyer with the bike wheel on my old box!!!!!!!!!!! saw mel clapton friday..came past to get something for the weekend, u know! :D saw dave cooper a week ago , matchy remember him !!!!!!!! he asked me to track stoner down, his brother says he is on the south coast somewhere but wouldnt elaborate, they dont get on now saw loads of old faces friday at the yate thing, i took a free entry card for the opening all dayer at maxies in 73 to show around, got a few laughs with that always remember helping you home to the flat one evening and you regalled us with al jolson stories!!!! great days for a youngster as i was then. them coach trips from the shop were mad, great to see u on here , ezzie brown

just seen your fav ever is beautiful nite ........ on the T B tony banks label !!!!!!!!!! perchance :ohmy::lol: still got some of the lps i got from u ... ice on ice jerry butler for instance!!!!!!!!1

Edited by ezzie brown
Social source share

Guest wax machine

:thumbsup:

Hi Richard, your memory must be better than mine cant remember all our dealings and dont sem to recollect a Nigel Stone.I saw Carl when the SWONS project was on he was still doing the occasional gig got to agree he was one of the best DJs a great lad too we use to do a lot of dealing together and with the late Bob Crocker as well. I was having a drink with Alan S quite a bit untill his sad death almost 6 years ago.

Its great how the younger brigade have kept the scene going what a great job they have done,I lost interest in the mid seventies and only revisited due to the SWONS project when people started contacting me,I go to a few events now some great people out there. cheers Brian

Brian, Well was it Gilpin Walk? No 5? - I did not know Alan S had passed on, can

you tell me anymore? Is Alan Daye still around? Don't know anything about the SWONS

project. tell me more!! - You were always a bit of a legend down in Gloucester you know

and still are in my book. Is there anywhere on this site that I can post some photos? I

have lots of the Gloucester/Cheltenham clan as well as Alan S, Carl, and some who used

to visit from the North as well as some great shots of Major Lance Ist at the Torch, God

that was a night that was!!!!!. I spoke with him halfway through but he was totally off

his face - the roof came off that night, totally AWESOME! I will never forget it. I still

play the old stuff we knew back then, brings back more than happy memories, I'm sad

about Alan S, he was a good friend. As she used to sing "Time will pass you by"!!!.

Kindest Always Richard

Social source share

Brian, Well was it Gilpin Walk? No 5? - I did not know Alan S had passed on, can

you tell me anymore? Is Alan Daye still around? Don't know anything about the SWONS

project. tell me more!! - You were always a bit of a legend down in Gloucester you know

and still are in my book. Is there anywhere on this site that I can post some photos? I

have lots of the Gloucester/Cheltenham clan as well as Alan S, Carl, and some who used

to visit from the North as well as some great shots of Major Lance Ist at the Torch, God

that was a night that was!!!!!. I spoke with him halfway through but he was totally off

his face - the roof came off that night, totally AWESOME! I will never forget it. I still

play the old stuff we knew back then, brings back more than happy memories, I'm sad

about Alan S, he was a good friend. As she used to sing "Time will pass you by"!!!.

Kindest Always Richard

Richard, Yes it was 5 Gilpin Walk, I don't know about Alan Day but I'm sure someone on here would have posted if he wasn't,as for Docker I thought he was still about but will ask about.

Regarding photos I'm a novice on this forum and I.T. but their will be plenty of people on here who will inform you, I can just about post.

I was at that Major Lance gig and managed to get my demo of Oops Deliha signed by him in the changing room he was certainly well smashed, but what a night.

The SWONS project was Ian Levines film The Secret World of Northern Soul a huge documentry he did in 1999 it had a bit of rewriting history and ignored the pre 68 period,but I think more good than bad came out of it.On a personal note I wasn't happy about that he had is own agenda on the Twisted Wheel and reinvented everything but it got me involved in the scene again and helped me to meet many old faces and lots of people I mailed to but never met.

Anyway Richard their's hundreds of knowledgable soulies on here who will keep you up to date it's fantastic how these dedicated soulies keep the scene thriving. regards Brian

Social source share

Bloody hell, I started this thread ages ago.

Welcome to Mr Phillips - Hi Brian how are you ( not seen you for a couple of months now).

I believe it was a rumour a few years ago that Docker had died - incorrect as I recall as he was alive and kicking and quite upset to be 'written off' !!

Alan S died a couple of years after the filming of SWONS ( think it was some form of cancer - he did tell me at the time but my memory is crap).

Like Brian, I met Alan again in Manchester at the SWONS filming - also present that night were Frank Elson, Andy Simpson, Kegsy, Martyn Ellis,Andy Hanley etc etc and thereby started my love affair with NS again.

Julian

Social source share

Bloody hell, I started this thread ages ago.

Welcome to Mr Phillips - Hi Brian how are you ( not seen you for a couple of months now).

I believe it was a rumour a few years ago that Docker had died - incorrect as I recall as he was alive and kicking and quite upset to be 'written off' !!

Alan S died a couple of years after the filming of SWONS ( think it was some form of cancer - he did tell me at the time but my memory is crap).

Like Brian, I met Alan again in Manchester at the SWONS filming - also present that night were Frank Elson, Andy Simpson, Kegsy, Martyn Ellis,Andy Hanley etc etc and thereby started my love affair with NS again.

Julian

Hi julian, just come in after a few scoops Alan died of liver/pancrass cancer, I wasn't there on that filming but met Alan again in a mecca reunion.

I thought Docker was still about and may be he will take revenge on the rumour spreader WHAT A RELIEF great guy, we must all have a meet GLOUCESTER maybe (well someone got to go there) ha ha. regards Brian

Social source share

Guest wax machine

rich u old git.........hope u remember me ,the one with the twin bro..jake, i think i was one of them that spent there wages in the shop! still got the remains of a flyer with the bike wheel on my old box!!!!!!!!!!! saw mel clapton friday..came past to get something for the weekend, u know! :wicked: saw dave cooper a week ago , matchy remember him !!!!!!!! he asked me to track stoner down, his brother says he is on the south coast somewhere but wouldnt elaborate, they dont get on now saw loads of old faces friday at the yate thing, i took a free entry card for the opening all dayer at maxies in 73 to show around, got a few laughs with that always remember helping you home to the flat one evening and you regalled us with al jolson stories!!!! great days for a youngster as i was then. them coach trips from the shop were mad, great to see u on here , ezzie brown

just seen your fav ever is beautiful nite ........ on the T B tony banks label !!!!!!!!!! perchance :rolleyes::D still got some of the lps i got from u ... ice on ice jerry butler for instance!!!!!!!!1

Remember you Ezzie - I'm still having nightmares about you!! God I used to worry about you Cheltenham lads, it all goes back to when I worked for Peter Hickman and on Saturdays the Cheltenham mods would park their scooters outside in a menacing way

and the young staff would be frightened out of their skins - especially Colin Weller who

I believe still has a salon in Cheltenham, as I was born and bred in Cheltenham I was the only one who had any clout and fizzled out many a nasty punch up. I remember seeing Jimi Hendrix at the Spa Lounge and many others that would be about 1966 ish. I do recall a Dave Cooper but can't quite put a face to him - next time you hear from Stoner tell him to get in touch with me will ya, Glad to hear that Docker is still kicking, does anyone have any contact number for him. I was gutted about Alan S especially as he

got a message to me several years ago to phone him which I never got 'round to, maybe he knew then about the Cancer - too late now but I wish I had phoned.I booked

Alan Day to do some spots at the local night spot in Gloucester, his name was big enough to draw crowds who had been to The Torch and we had some good nights but he priced himself out of the market once he saw what a success it was and always flanked by heavy handed cronies - that was his way of doing business but not mine!!.

Levine tried his best to get me on that film of his but I had good reasons not to at the time so I told him to get Docker to tell the story which he did, I don't think Levine liked it but didn't understand my reasons. I'm surprised you can remember my Jolson stories

i've been a fan of his since the age of eight, well before my time I might add, but now

have probably the biggest collection of Jolson on this planet but I won't bore you with that, Jackie Wilson was a fan and did an album of his songs - need I say more! Great

to catch up with you again, much water now gone under the bridge!! Richard.

Social source share

Remember you Ezzie - I'm still having nightmares about you!! God I used to worry about you Cheltenham lads, it all goes back to when I worked for Peter Hickman and on Saturdays the Cheltenham mods would park their scooters outside in a menacing way

and the young staff would be frightened out of their skins - especially Colin Weller who

I believe still has a salon in Cheltenham, as I was born and bred in Cheltenham I was the only one who had any clout and fizzled out many a nasty punch up. I remember seeing Jimi Hendrix at the Spa Lounge and many others that would be about 1966 ish. I do recall a Dave Cooper but can't quite put a face to him - next time you hear from Stoner tell him to get in touch with me will ya, Glad to hear that Docker is still kicking, does anyone have any contact number for him. I was gutted about Alan S especially as he

got a message to me several years ago to phone him which I never got 'round to, maybe he knew then about the Cancer - too late now but I wish I had phoned.I booked

Alan Day to do some spots at the local night spot in Gloucester, his name was big enough to draw crowds who had been to The Torch and we had some good nights but he priced himself out of the market once he saw what a success it was and always flanked by heavy handed cronies - that was his way of doing business but not mine!!.

Levine tried his best to get me on that film of his but I had good reasons not to at the time so I told him to get Docker to tell the story which he did, I don't think Levine liked it but didn't understand my reasons. I'm surprised you can remember my Jolson stories

i've been a fan of his since the age of eight, well before my time I might add, but now

have probably the biggest collection of Jolson on this planet but I won't bore you with that, Jackie Wilson was a fan and did an album of his songs - need I say more! Great

to catch up with you again, much water now gone under the bridge!! Richard.

im still goin up north regularly, try and come up burnley or middleton, lots of older guys still go, who bought from you, round here is a bit bland but nice socially, look forward to meetin up some time, im in churchdown

now ,cheers ezzie :D

Social source share

Hi Brian.

In reply to your post about the Bridgnorth lads. Were all doing fine, I don't know if you can remember us there was my-self Terry Carter (Cart) Barry Willmore. Chris Crann. Michael Wood (Woody)

Dave Wenlock Steve Bullock. We very rarely missed a Saturday night at the wheel. Sometimes the blue note on Sunday morning but mostly right back to Droitwich for the 4 till 7 club Sunday afternoons at the Chateau Impney from there over to Wellington to Terry Heaths then some how made our way home Sunday night. Many times on a Monday morning we were still sitting in my mates car out side my house when my dad left for work at 6.0 clock still talking. We also went to the Beachcomber Nottingham. the Torch. Blue Orchid. Cats. and many other clubs at the time. Also the one and only time to Rupert's House. I think it got burnt down just after. We first went to Torquay in early 1970 taking our soul records with us giving them to the D Js to play in clubs like the Scotch club Hideaway and Compass. We knew all the guys from Kidderminster. Wellington. Shrewsbury. Wolves and Worcester.

I still get to go to a few nighters now with Barry and Steve the last ones being 100-club anniversary and Kings hall.

Terry

Social source share

Hi Brian.

In reply to your post about the Bridgnorth lads. Were all doing fine, I don't know if you can remember us there was my-self Terry Carter (Cart) Barry Willmore. Chris Crann. Michael Wood (Woody)

Dave Wenlock Steve Bullock. We very rarely missed a Saturday night at the wheel. Sometimes the blue note on Sunday morning but mostly right back to Droitwich for the 4 till 7 club Sunday afternoons at the Chateau Impney from there over to Wellington to Terry Heaths then some how made our way home Sunday night. Many times on a Monday morning we were still sitting in my mates car out side my house when my dad left for work at 6.0 clock still talking. We also went to the Beachcomber Nottingham. the Torch. Blue Orchid. Cats. and many other clubs at the time. Also the one and only time to Rupert's House. I think it got burnt down just after. We first went to Torquay in early 1970 taking our soul records with us giving them to the D Js to play in clubs like the Scotch club Hideaway and Compass. We knew all the guys from Kidderminster. Wellington. Shrewsbury. Wolves and Worcester.

I still get to go to a few nighters now with Barry and Steve the last ones being 100-club anniversary and Kings hall.

Terry

Hi Tery,Great to hear your all well,I remember lots of nights at the Wheel talking to you lads I was caged in for 6 hours (not like these 1 hour spots now) I remeber being dragged down your way Sunday morning doing some record dealing.I always went to Torquay from 68-71 selling sounds and lending them to the jocks,loved the Scotch and Kassa Marina although I got threw out a few times.

I still see Phil Saxe you remenber Phil he and Les Cockell took over from me when I left September 70 don't see too many of the other boys.Do you remeber Tony Brown from Cleethorpes ?.he may have been just before your time.

Great times then discovering new imports every week and discovering and probably re-discovering some fantastic UK stuff. Pass my regards to all the gang maybe we can have a meet regards Brian

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Jerry,

I know Froggy (real name Mike Taylor) passed away. does anyone have any details of why and how old he was, he always reminded me of Jimmy Cagney, very

similar in looks and body language, every time I see Cagney I see Froggy! Yes, he

was THE KID OK. he had more front than South End but knew the game, that guy

could sell ice cream to eskimo's, knew all the sounds before they hit and a walking

almanac of soul music, give him a record number and he would tell you what it was!

Much admired by many people including myself. I have some photos of Froggy,Alan

S, Docker and others at my flat in Hare Lane. Docker - (Graham White) so when did

he pass on and how old - thought you might know, or if not ANYONE?????

I'm thinking of throwing a party in Gloucester soon, anyone interested? I wanna good

DJ with some of the old sounds, pays well!!!!. I am serious of course! Richard

Regret to say that Froggy basically died of neglect under one of the arches of Westgate Bridge in Gloucester in the early eighties I would say... He had a bad car accident in 1971 after falling asleep at the wheel on the M5 after an allnighter.Docker was'nt with him that weekend.I don't think he dj'd again after that, just dealing in records from then on.In early 1972 Froggy,myself and another mate Nick Pritchard hitched our way to Spain (stopping in Paris with his brother Podge) where we spent that summer... He spent most of the summer shagging German birds... One I remember called Petra was about 6' 2" and could have been Miss World.

On returning home he carried on selling records through a dodgy mate (a grammar school teacher as well) who had a record stall on Rupert Street market in Soho.. I think a girl from Cheltenham called Frances O'Farrell worked on the stall. He took several trips to America from 1973 onwards buying and identifying new sounds,making big money...In 1974 he was my daughters godfather.

His final trip (literally) to the States in approx' 1976 ended disastrously when he had to be flown home by the British government from one of those countries at the top of South America near the Isthmus.. He said that he had been "poisoned" but in fact some vicious bastard had slipped a very strong drug into his food which had effectively burnt out braincells.. He was never the same again and could'nt stand being indoors eventually becoming a street dweller... I don't think he was 40 when he died.

Docker on the other hand I'm sure is still with us,he must be about 64 now!

Social source share

:lol:

Social source share

Hi Richard,

I hope this reply gets on to the forum. Even though I joined some time ago this is my first post on this - or any - forum! A groundbreaking moment for me. So good to see many of the well known early Northern soul folk mentioned in one forum - I couldn't resist the temptation to get involved. It would be great to keep in touch and discuss those halcyon days! Also, memories return of seeing Brian at the Wheel almost every week and those discussions / record deals!

I'm about to go out but I'll post again. I'm still "doing a bit" of dj work - mostly on revival nights, including some bookings for another old buddy, Neil Rushton. I'm just about to go out, but will post again soon. Would be good to hear from any / all of you meantime!

All the best for now

Carl

Social source share

Hi Richard,

I hope this reply gets on to the forum. Even though I joined some time ago this is my first post on this - or any - forum! A groundbreaking moment for me. So good to see many of the well known early Northern soul folk mentioned in one forum - I couldn't resist the temptation to get involved. It would be great to keep in touch and discuss those halcyon days! Also, memories return of seeing Brian at the Wheel almost every week and those discussions / record deals!

I'm about to go out but I'll post again. I'm still "doing a bit" of dj work - mostly on revival nights, including some bookings for another old buddy, Neil Rushton. I'm just about to go out, but will post again soon. Would be good to hear from any / all of you meantime!

All the best for now

Carl

:tumbleweed3:

Hi Carl, great to see your post it seems everyone turns up on here sooner or later,Good to hear your still doing a bit,send me a flyer for the next one wouldn't mind popping down to see a few old faces etc.

Have you retired from your day job now and become a man of leisure? Anyway I'll look for your posts.

regards

Brian

Social source share

Regret to say that Froggy basically died of neglect under one of the arches of Westgate Bridge in Gloucester in the early eighties I would say... He had a bad car accident in 1971 after falling asleep at the wheel on the M5 after an allnighter.Docker was'nt with him that weekend.I don't think he dj'd again after that, just dealing in records from then on.In early 1972 Froggy,myself and another mate Nick Pritchard hitched our way to Spain (stopping in Paris with his brother Podge) where we spent that summer... He spent most of the summer shagging German birds... One I remember called Petra was about 6' 2" and could have been Miss World.

On returning home he carried on selling records through a dodgy mate (a grammar school teacher as well) who had a record stall on Rupert Street market in Soho.. I think a girl from Cheltenham called Frances O'Farrell worked on the stall. He took several trips to America from 1973 onwards buying and identifying new sounds,making big money...In 1974 he was my daughters godfather.

His final trip (literally) to the States in approx' 1976 ended disastrously when he had to be flown home by the British government from one of those countries at the top of South America near the Isthmus.. He said that he had been "poisoned" but in fact some vicious bastard had slipped a very strong drug into his food which had effectively burnt out braincells.. He was never the same again and could'nt stand being indoors eventually becoming a street dweller... I don't think he was 40 when he died.

Docker on the other hand I'm sure is still with us,he must be about 64 now!

Last time I saw Froggy must have been about 86, he turned up at a Northern night at the Bristol Hotel in Gloster, looked a mess and of course was wearing his afghan coat, we sat him down and bought him a drink or two and for a short while the old Froggy resurfaced. So sad...

I saw Docker a few years back at a reunion night for the Blue Moon Club in Cheltenham (where Froggy was the top kiddie in '66) so I'm pleased to know that the rumours of his death weren't true.

Social source share

Hi Brian.

Terry

i still have membership card for hideway and coompass clubs in torquay in my draw, circa 74, i think..very well known all over ,bloody good place in them days was torquay, remember turnin a cop car on its roof on the harbour...u couldnt do that now!!! ez

Social source share

:yes:

:lol:

Hi Carl, great to see your post it seems everyone turns up on here sooner or later,Good to hear your still doing a bit,send me a flyer for the next one wouldn't mind popping down to see a few old faces etc.

Have you retired from your day job now and become a man of leisure? Anyway I'll look for your posts.

regards

Brian

Social source share

:yes:

Hello Brian,

Great to get your reply. I'll certainly send you info about any of my "resurrection" do's where I usually tend to play the sounds of up to 1971 plus some of the more well known later on. I am working part-time now and finding some time to re-purchase one or two of the old classics that I let go over the years. Do you still have all the old sounds and still collect - or did the cash come in handy to buy that yacht or some other expensive luxury!! It would certainly be good to meet up again at some point and to keep in touch. Look forward to hearing further.

Also, whilst posting, a quick hello to the Bridgnorth lads - those Saturdays at the Castle Hall were pretty good were'nt they? And hello to the Gloucester folk - what about the Sunday night's at the Library after the Chateau Impney 4-7 club, and the 7.00pm Mike Raven soul show on the Beeb? I'm so sorry to hear about Froggy - he was a real one-off and seemrd to me to be totally dedicated to the rhythm and soul / northern soul scene. Hope we can keep the thread going!! :lol:

Social source share

Hello Brian,

Great to get your reply. I'll certainly send you info about any of my "resurrection" do's where I usually tend to play the sounds of up to 1971 plus some of the more well known later on. I am working part-time now and finding some time to re-purchase one or two of the old classics that I let go over the years. Do you still have all the old sounds and still collect - or did the cash come in handy to buy that yacht or some other expensive luxury!! It would certainly be good to meet up again at some point and to keep in touch. Look forward to hearing further.

Also, whilst posting, a quick hello to the Bridgnorth lads - those Saturdays at the Castle Hall were pretty good were'nt they? And hello to the Gloucester folk - what about the Sunday night's at the Library after the Chateau Impney 4-7 club, and the 7.00pm Mike Raven soul show on the Beeb? I'm so sorry to hear about Froggy - he was a real one-off and seemrd to me to be totally dedicated to the rhythm and soul / northern soul scene. Hope we can keep the thread going!! :D

:thumbsup: Hi Carl,Great to hear from you and good to see you are doing a bit of collecting I bet the prices are breaking your heart.After I stopped doing my record list in 75 and lost interest I kept my favourite 700 sounds but unfortunatly bumped into a couple of old mates in 81 who persuaded me to part with them.I think I was under the influence of drink and let them go for about £200 money which I didn't need,I do some stupid things but thats life.

Hope to se you soon Brian

Social source share

You wouldn´t believe the half of it!

To be honest Gloucestershire was a hotbed of "Northern" at one time you could go to a club/Pub/disco every single night of the week and hear the current indemand sounds not pressings! originals.

Also every generation had a host of real charachters,don´t need to mention names but always had close contact with the midland guys and especially Stoke,people who in those days used to travel down midweek to the "Waxacine disco"

Northern soul is the popular phrase but Midland soul could hold its own for sure!

Steve

ps."lads"? i am probably the youngest and will be 52! in March

By the way is that my old mate Pete Lawson in your picture?

Yeh thats me in the middle & tony colby on the right, taken in 81, had some laughs with pete HE WAS A TOP LAD sad.gif

Social source share

Last time I saw Froggy must have been about 86, he turned up at a Northern night at the Bristol Hotel in Gloster, looked a mess and of course was wearing his afghan coat, we sat him down and bought him a drink or two and for a short while the old Froggy resurfaced. So sad...

I went round Froggy's mum's house to meet up with him (for the first time) back around 84/85-ish. It was a record buying trip along with my friend/well-known Gloucester-based record dealer, Adey Pierce. (Come to think of it we later also went round Docker's house on a similar mission!).

Froggy's stories turned out to be more interesting than the records he had left, but it was certainly an fascinating session for myself, being a 'second-generation' soul collector in Gloucester (I was almost young enough to be the son of some of these pioneers!). He told some stories about that trip across Europe and touched on the South American experience, which had obviously taken it's toll on his well-being. I also recall the news filtering through of his untimely and tragic passing...a terrible shame.

I had to smile at the earlier reference within this thread of Froggy looking like Jimmy Cagney...so true, even though his hair was long and yes he sported the Afghan coat!

I still consider myself lucky to have grown up in such a soul-rich area and bow my head in a nod of respect to all the pioneers and mentors that gave this little whipper-snapper the benfit of their knowledge, and indeed some favourable record deals, back in the day. Allow me to give a special mention to both Steve Smiths ('Big' and 'Little') and my adopted 'Soul-Dad' the ever-enthusiastic (and it was great to see you at Christmas!), Hippo.

:thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert