Have You Ever

Russoul1

hi all, was out at a local do over the weekend,looking through a friends sales box pulled out copies of;

dobie gray - out on the floor - charger

james coit - black power -

both original stamped issues

paid the money and for some reason i felt really good about buying them 2 records!

the next day played them and then started to think why did i buy them? as they certainly

are not on my want/wish list?

i put it down to 2 things

1 - i have never owned originals of these 45s

2 - nostelgic value

so have you brought a 45/45s then thought why?

russ

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

hi all, was out at a local do over the weekend,looking through a friends sales box pulled out copies of;

dobie gray - out on the floor - charger

james coit - black power -

both original stamped issues

paid the money and for some reason i felt really good about buying them 2 records!

the next day played them and then started to think why did i buy them? as they certainly

are not on my want/wish list?

i put it down to 2 things

1 - i have never owned originals of these 45s

2 - nostelgic value

russ

Everytime I spend a lot on a 45 I regret it right up until it arrives through the post then....... well you all know the feeling you get when that long awaited single arrives.

Social source share

most of the 45s i buy blind and then play them :angry:

I'm at a loss as to how anyone can buy a record 'BLIND'. Surely if you aint heard a tune beforehand, then any speculative purchases must be made 'DEAF'. :wub::P (apologies to anybody who is hard of hearing and reads this).

To answer the original question, I picked up @ dozen 45's at the last 100 Club - all fairly cheap items at £10 - £15 - and of those, only 3 are records that are going to remain on the shelves.

The rest? Why? Why did I dip my toe in with 9 records that carried no clues of what is in the grooves such as creditable production team? Arranger? Composers? Well I did it in the true pioneering spirit of 'taking a chance' on some singles that appeared interesting to me for the artist names being new to me, the labels being new to me or that strange 'gut feeling' you sometimes experience that tells you that you're holding a potential monster right there and then! 9 records = 18 sides to go at. Surely there must be at least a couple of gems in there??

Nope. All sh*te, from the first bar to the last!! A complete waste of vinyl and, in some cases, apparently a complete waste of the talents of the backing musicians!!!

Will I do it again? Probably. You gotta break a few eggs to make a cake. But not with any of those titles again!!! :thumbsup:

Neil Jones (eternal optimist).

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

russ

Yes, usually after I've 'passed' on paying a few hundred quid for something that I'd really like to own but that I tell myself I can't afford, and then end up spending the same or more money over the course of the next few days on 'double-figure' tunes that I didn't want to own half as much...

Social source share

Yes, usually after I've 'passed' on paying a few hundred quid for something that I'd really like to own but that I tell myself I can't afford, and then end up spending the same or more money over the course of the next few days on 'double-figure' tunes that I didn't want to own half as much...
that is so true tony! how many times have i done the same thing

russ

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert