Louis Williams

Does anyone out there know if louis williams (ovations fame) ever released still a part of me , version also done by the minits if so could you let me know or is this just pie in the sky post-8405-1187975475_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Does anyone out there know if louis williams (ovations fame) ever released still a part of me , version also done by the minits if so could you let me know or is this just pie in the sky post-8405-1187975475_thumb.jpg

That's a new one on me. I'd be gobsmacked if such a recording exists.

If you're asking was it released, I would say definately not.

But, apart from it not really being his style, it's still a nice thought!

Nearest thing I can think of would be "One In A Million" where Louis excels himself + it's a real pacy thing, in the manner of "Still A Part Of Me". Its on SOM (as is the Minits).

Sean

Social source share

That's a new one on me. I'd be gobsmacked if such a recording exists.

If you're asking was it released, I would say definately not.

But, apart from it not really being his style, it's still a nice thought!

Nearest thing I can think of would be "One In A Million" where Louis excels himself + it's a real pacy thing, in the manner of "Still A Part Of Me". Its on SOM (as is the Minits).

Sean

As some of you may know I have been going through the SOM archive for a series of releases on Kent - Barbara Brown out now, a label comp out next month - and we have come upon a bunch of unreleased Louis / Ovations cuts in amongst the tapes. I'm pretty certain that there isn't a version of 'Still A Part Of Me' though. There will be an Ovations / Louis CD from this era early next year.

There are also a few unreleased Minits cuts and some stunning photos of them.

Dean

Social source share

Louis Williams "You're Still A Part Of Me"

Beale Street CD 1001 "Ole' Beale Street Salutes Sam Cooke - released in 1985.

In my opinion nowhere near as good as The Minits, but then again I've never been that much of a fan of Louis as a singer. I love Sam Cooke influenced singers, from Johnnie Taylor to Womack etc. but LW is just a little close to being an impersonator. I hope this isn't too harsh a judgement.

here's a soundfile courtesy of soulclub.org

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Louis Williams "You're Still A Part Of Me"

Beale Street CD 1001 "Ole' Beale Street Salutes Sam Cooke - released in 1985.

Wow! Thanks Gareth.

So CD only... but you still could knock me down with a feather!

To be honest, I quite like it. Prefer the Minits, but this is still pretty good!

Only half agree with you on the 'impersonator' comment but I can see where you're coming from. Remember reading decades ago in B&S that they were planning a movie of Sam Cooke's life and that Louis was to play the lead, so the comparisons are obvious (plans never came to fruition though). I also remember William Bell telling me that, even back in the days when they were in the Del Rios together, Louis just happened to sound 'just like Sam' and that he admired Cooke so much that he 'simply couldn't sing any other way'.

As a footnote, I've played the superb "Sweet Thing" out recently. A great double sider on XL. Such a shame The Ovations are largely remembered over here for "They Say" which is not their best work by any means.

Thanks again for the soundclip. Enjoying it right now!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

I always thought One in a Million was also fantastic, one of those records that I think people will eventually pick up on, driving up the value.

Social source share

I always thought One in a Million was also fantastic, one of those records that I think people will eventually pick up on, driving up the value.

I think the CDs were only available directly from Dan Greer who recorded the Louis Williams tracks probably circa early 1980's though they weren't pressed up onto CD until 1993. I got mine in 2003 off Dan - I don't think he pressed them on vinyl back in 1985 because he never issued the Frankie Gearing tracks on a Beale Street album - they were leased to Japan. The only album I know which Dan released in the 80's was his own Love Is The Message album which he subsequently pressed onto CD around same time as Louis Williams CD. He is also used some of those tracks on a further CD which I think was the last thing he released in 2002? Not sure how many Dan pressed up of the Louis Williams and don't think anyone actually distributed it.

The other Louis Williams tracks worth mentioning are the ones he recorded with Bobby Womack in the early 90's - Expansion were going to release an album but the tapes got damaged - I have heard them and it would have been very good - so we are left with only the one track which they put out on a sampler.

Oh yeah - Louis also does a good version of Frankie Gearing's Spinning Top on the Beale Street CD

Social source share

Wow! Thanks Gareth.

So CD only... but you still could knock me down with a feather!

To be honest, I quite like it. Prefer the Minits, but this is still pretty good!

Only half agree with you on the 'impersonator' comment but I can see where you're coming from. Remember reading decades ago in B&S that they were planning a movie of Sam Cooke's life and that Louis was to play the lead, so the comparisons are obvious (plans never came to fruition though). I also remember William Bell telling me that, even back in the days when they were in the Del Rios together, Louis just happened to sound 'just like Sam' and that he admired Cooke so much that he 'simply couldn't sing any other way'.

As a footnote, I've played the superb "Sweet Thing" out recently. A great double sider on XL. Such a shame The Ovations are largely remembered over here for "They Say" which is not their best work by any means.

Thanks again for the soundclip. Enjoying it right now!

:rolleyes:

Sean

Sean , this thread has forced me to dig into my dusty stored-away LP boxes for the excellent P-Vine Jap only vinyl LP issued on the Ovations which includes the XL recordings to which you refer .....

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!