Help Needed

Dave Moore

Hi all,

I've spent the last few days trawling through the Jamaican stuff you've all posted (many thanks). Now...my preferred taste in music has never really been focused on anything outside 60s soul so my knowledge and experience of this music is NIL.

However....I'm trying, so......here's the problem I have. Apart from the RnB stuff, I can't establish a difference between the ska, reggae and rocksteady. The foundation of all three styles seems to be the same. There's uptempo/midtempo and even a little slow tempo stuff but it's all based on the irregular backbeat to me ears.

So...here's the question, could some kind soul give me a few tips on what to listen for in the songs, Any blatant intonations, repetative riffs, vocal inflections or such like that establishes the credentials for the 3 different (?) styles.

Please excuse my ignorance. I like some of it (mainly the RnB stuff), but am prepared to give it a chance and see if I can develop an ear for it.

Thanks for your time.

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Pete Griffin

Hi all,

I've spent the last few days trawling through the Jamaican stuff you've all posted (many thanks). Now...my preferred taste in music has never really been focused on anything outside 60s soul so my knowledge and experience of this music is NIL.

However....I'm trying, so......here's the problem I have. Apart from the RnB stuff, I can't establish a difference between the ska, reggae and rocksteady. The foundation of all three styles seems to be the same. There's uptempo/midtempo and even a little slow tempo stuff but it's all based on the irregular backbeat to me ears.

So...here's the question, could some kind soul give me a few tips on what to listen for in the songs, Any blatant intonations, repetative riffs, vocal inflections or such like that establishes the credentials for the 3 different (?) styles.

Please excuse my ignorance. I like some of it (mainly the RnB stuff), but am prepared to give it a chance and see if I can develop an ear for it.

Thanks for your time.

Pete S will tell you, or someone else will, ive just got in and im nackered, sayin that if you go on the ska page on www.boogalooradio.com there is a player on there, click on it and it will take you through ska, rude boy, rock steady & Reaggae.

nite nite

Pete G

Social source share

It's too lengthy to go into but here's a brief potted history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggae_genres

And this one is good too:

https://www.ddg.com/LIS/InfoDesignF97/malyce/music.htm

Basically ska was influenced by New Orleans R&B with heavy jazz influences added too.

Rock steady was the most soulful Jamaican style and you'll find a LOT of Impressions and Chicago soul covers in this style.

Original 1968 reggae speeded the beat up again and included influences from calypso and American funk.

Then around 1972 the Jah Jah lot came along and slowed it all down almost to a standstill for the roots sound.

If you'd like to know more about the music still, the best place to come to is my forum at:

https://www.djgreedyg.proboards77.com

It's not as busy as this forum but there are around 200 dedicated and knowlegable people posting on a regular basis, many of whom are DJs and collectors on the "proper" reggae scene as opposed to the skinhead and mod scenes (no offence chaps!!)

Gordy

Social source share

Guest Pete Griffin

Basically ska was influenced by New Orleans R&B with heavy jazz influences added too.

Rock steady was the most soulful Jamaican style and you'll find a LOT of Impressions and Chicago soul covers in this style.

Original 1968 reggae speeded the beat up again and included influences from calypso and American funk.

Then around 1972 the Jah Jah lot came along and slowed it all down almost to a standstill for the roots sound.

If you'd like to know more about the music still, the best place to come to is my forum at:

It's not as busy as this forum but there are around 200 dedicated and knowlegable people posting on a regular basis, many of whom are DJs and collectors on the "proper" reggae scene as opposed to the skinhead and mod scenes (no offence chaps!!)

Gordy

:thumbsup: I'll see you in Judge Dreads court lol biggrin.gif Edited by Pete Griffin
Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

Gordy

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Gordy

OK Dave - here's my 'alfpence worth.

Wikipedia omits to mention that straight after 'mento' - 5Ts Jamaican music came....Bluebeat - which was circa '61-63 (for a soul equivalent, think RnB). Bluebeat had the direct link with New Orleans - early hits included covers of Fats Domino's 'Fat Man'. Mainly piano based riffs - quite plodding obvious 1/3 rhythm. If I can find it, there's a photo of Duke Reid with Fats Domino - plus, the broadcast range of New Orleans radio stations covered Jamaica. Look for tracks by Chuck and Dobby, Prince Buster, Roland Alphonso and His Alley Cats.

Then came Ska circa '63-'66. Ska was influenced by Cuban music. The Skatalites covered plenty of Mongo Santamaria tracks - Coconut Rock was a straight ska cover of 'Get the Money' - the B side of 'Yeh Yeh' on Battle. Soundtracks were a big favourite - James Bond Theme/ Dick Tracey/ Guns of Navarone/ From Russia with Love....ska was much more danceable and the Coxsone Dodd/ Duke Reid productions were much 'phatter'....fuller and usually with the unmistakeable organ of Jackie Mittoo pounding away in the background (for a soul parallel - Earl Van Dyke. Same Hammond B3). Classic UK labels include White Island and Skabeat....and the odd blue Coxsone :lol: The album 'Club Ska 67' on W.I.R.L is what started it all off for me - a friends dad gave me his copy in '71 and I never looked back. Seriously good tracks - Lawless Street, Ska-ing West and my favourite 'Broadway Jungle' by the Fabulous Flames aka The Maytals.

Ahhhhhhh.......then Rocksteady - '66/'67 - '68. The Rocksteady rhythm was attributed to Lynn Tait (see the article I posted)- Treasure Isle was THE Rocksteady label. Slim Smith's 'Born to Love you' best illustrates the soul of Jamaica - a Temptations track lovingly sung by the dulcet toned Slim....it still breaks my heart every time I hear it wub.gif ....other Rocksteady tracks of note included Phyllis Dillon 'Perfidia', 'Right Track' (not Billy Butler's version), I Roy 'No 1 Station' which uses the Del Vikings 'The Big Beat' as it's basis, Jackie Opel, Paragons, Heptones....just too many tracks and artists to mention.

So, for soul lovers (including Dave) trying to find something to 'latch' onto within the melody, Rocksteady would be the best place to start....hope that helps. Jo (late of Red Records, Brixton) :lol:

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I've corrected the Wikipedia entry...the omission of Bluebeat was bothering me. Gordy, it would be brilliant if you could add something to Wiki - I've probably left loads out - I tend to forget when I'm typing fast :lol: Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I've corrected the Wikipedia entry...the omission of Bluebeat was bothering me. Gordy, it would be brilliant if you could add something to Wiki - I've probably left loads out - I tend to forget when I'm typing fast :lol: Jo

Can't see my post on Wiki....probably didn't press the right button so it didn't post :lol: Jo

Social source share

Guest Pete Griffin

Wikipedia omits to mention that straight after 'mento' - 5Ts Jamaican music came....Bluebeat - which was circa '61-63 (for a soul equivalent, think RnB). Bluebeat had the direct link with New Orleans - early hits included covers of Fats Domino's 'Fat Man'. Mainly piano based riffs - quite plodding obvious 1/3 rhythm. If I can find it, there's a photo of Duke Reid with Fats Domino - plus, the broadcast range of New Orleans radio stations covered Jamaica. Look for tracks by Chuck and Dobby, Prince Buster, Roland Alphonso and His Alley Cats.

Then came Ska circa '63-'66. Ska was influenced by Cuban music. The Skatalites covered plenty of Mongo Santamaria tracks - Coconut Rock was a straight ska cover of 'Get the Money' - the B side of 'Yeh Yeh' on Battle. Soundtracks were a big favourite - James Bond Theme/ Dick Tracey/ Guns of Navarone/ From Russia with Love....ska was much more danceable and the Coxsone Dodd/ Duke Reid productions were much 'phatter'....fuller and usually with the unmistakeable organ of Jackie Mittoo pounding away in the background (for a soul parallel - Earl Van Dyke. Same Hammond B3). Classic UK labels include White Island and Skabeat....and the odd blue Coxsone :P The album 'Club Ska 67' on W.I.R.L is what started it all off for me - a friends dad gave me his copy in '71 and I never looked back. Seriously good tracks - Lawless Street, Ska-ing West and my favourite 'Broadway Jungle' by the Fabulous Flames aka The Maytals.

Ahhhhhhh.......then Rocksteady - '66/'67 - '68. The Rocksteady rhythm was attributed to Lynn Tait (see the article I posted)- Treasure Isle was THE Rocksteady label. Slim Smith's 'Born to Love you' best illustrates the soul of Jamaica - a Temptations track lovingly sung by the dulcet toned Slim....it still breaks my heart every time I hear it wub.gif ....other Rocksteady tracks of note included Phyllis Dillon 'Perfidia', 'Right Track' (not Billy Butler's version), I Roy 'No 1 Station' which uses the Del Vikings 'The Big Beat' as it's basis, Jackie Opel, Paragons, Heptones....just too many tracks and artists to mention.

So, for soul lovers (including Dave) trying to find something to 'latch' onto within the melody, Rocksteady would be the best place to start....hope that helps. Jo (late of Red Records, Brixton) :wicked:

That was a excellent read :sleep3:

Social source share

Yep, rock steady is deffo the starting place for soulies!

As for the music from 61 to 63, it was known in Jamaica simply as rhythm n blues, same name as it got in the US.

Jamaicans who had migrated to the UK initially called it "shuffle" music as they shuffled their feet to it.

The term "Bluebeat" was coined by an uncredited UK music journalist circa 1963 (due to the fact that about 70% of all Jamaican music issued here was on that label), much the same way that Dave Godin coined "Northern Soul".

Gordy

Social source share

Sorry to be a pedantic git again lol. No.1 Station was by my good friend Mr Dennis Alcapone (ok Gordon, stop effing namedropping - Ed). Also Bluebeat was the main label at the time for UK issues along with the others (and R&B which stood for Rita and Benny (King) two of the first retailers of JA music in the UK).

Jackie Opel didn't record much in the rock steady style (which is a shame IMO) as he had gone back to Barbados in late '66, where he got involved in a local Bajan music called "Spouge" which was like a hybrid of ska and calypso.

The first place to look in rock steady is to get tunes by the vocal trios of the time - the Paragons (as mentioned), The Techniques, The Melodians, The Heptones, The Sensations, The Gaylads, The Royals, The Ethiopians, The Emotions, The Clarendonians and many more. Then you've got the great singers like Slim Smith, Bob Andy, Pat Kelly, Ken Boothe, Alton Ellis, Carl Dawkins, Busty Brown and others.

Hope that helps.

Gordy

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Yep, rock steady is deffo the starting place for soulies!

As for the music from 61 to 63, it was known in Jamaica simply as rhythm n blues, same name as it got in the US.

Jamaicans who had migrated to the UK initially called it "shuffle" music as they shuffled their feet to it.

The term "Bluebeat" was coined by an uncredited UK music journalist circa 1963 (due to the fact that about 70% of all Jamaican music issued here was on that label), much the same way that Dave Godin coined "Northern Soul".

Gordy

Without looking at my stash of BB, I always thought that the early issues were around in '61-'62. I've always known it as Bluebeat - as a musical style and label....all the early Jamaican stuff was on Bluebeat but the majority of ska sides were on White Island. That was the point I was trying to make as opposed to the Wiki reference that lumped everything from '61-'66 in together as 'ska'. Where's Tony Rounce when you need him :thumbsup: Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Sorry to be a pedantic git again lol. No.1 Station was by my good friend Mr Dennis Alcapone (ok Gordon, stop effing namedropping - Ed)

DOHHHHHHHHHH.........I'm getting my toasters mixed up lol - Morphy Richards. I had I Roy on the brain - it is Dennis Alcapone...but I was right about the Del Vikings :(

Also Bluebeat was the main label at the time for UK issues along with the others (and R&B which stood for Rita and Benny (King) two of the first retailers of JA music in the UK). In Tottenham if I'm not mistaken - there was another Jewish retailer in Peckham - a lady who still had a shop in the 8Ts. Tony.... :thumbsup:

Jackie Opel didn't record much in the rock steady style (which is a shame IMO) as he had gone back to Barbados in late '66, where he got involved in a local Bajan music called "Spouge" which was like a hybrid of ska and calypso. I was reading about Bajan earlier today and I'd love to hear some Spouge - seriously.

The first place to look in rock steady is to get tunes by the vocal trios of the time - the Paragons (as mentioned), The Techniques, The Melodians, The Heptones, The Sensations, The Gaylads, The Royals, The Ethiopians, The Emotions, The Clarendonians and many more. Then you've got the great singers like Slim Smith, Bob Andy, Pat Kelly, Ken Boothe, Alton Ellis, Carl Dawkins, Busty Brown and others.

Hope that helps. It does - shame on me for not putting Alton....saw him last year (?) at a Barnados gig with one of the Melodians and TanTan....but Slim still makes my knees go weak and best male group is the Heptones - ever, ever, ever..... :wicked:

Sorry for being flaky - my fingers type faster than my brain thinks sometimes - but as long as Gordy knows what I mean - he can decipher my nonsense biggrin.gif Jo

Gordy

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

That was a excellent read :thumbsup:

Somewhere, tucked away, I have a much better and more accurate read written by Chris Lane. It covers the era of soundtracks but also the Kung Fu titles. As soon as I can find it, I'll ask Chris if I can post it. Jo

Social source share

Then came Ska circa '63-'66. Ska was influenced by Cuban music. The Skatalites covered plenty of Mongo Santamaria tracks - Coconut Rock was a straight ska cover of 'Get the Money' - the B side of 'Yeh Yeh' on Battle. Soundtracks were a big favourite - James Bond Theme/ Dick Tracey/ Guns of Navarone/ From Russia with Love....ska was much more danceable and the Coxsone Dodd/ Duke Reid productions were much 'phatter'....fuller and usually with the unmistakeable organ of Jackie Mittoo pounding away in the background (for a soul parallel - Earl Van Dyke. Same Hammond B3). Classic UK labels include White Island and Skabeat....and the odd blue Coxsone :wicked: The album 'Club Ska 67' on W.I.R.L is what started it all off for me - a friends dad gave me his copy in '71 and I never looked back. Seriously good tracks - Lawless Street, Ska-ing West and my favourite 'Broadway Jungle' by the Fabulous Flames aka The Maytals.

Ahhhhhhh.......then Rocksteady - '66/'67 - '68. The Rocksteady rhythm was attributed to Lynn Tait (see the article I posted)- Treasure Isle was THE Rocksteady label. Slim Smith's 'Born to Love you' best illustrates the soul of Jamaica - a Temptations track lovingly sung by the dulcet toned Slim....it still breaks my heart every time I hear it :( ....other Rocksteady tracks of note included Phyllis Dillon 'Perfidia', 'Right Track' (not Billy Butler's version), I Roy 'No 1 Station' which uses the Del Vikings 'The Big Beat' as it's basis, Jackie Opel, Paragons, Heptones....just too many tracks and artists to mention.

So, for soul lovers (including Dave) trying to find something to 'latch' onto within the melody, Rocksteady would be the best place to start....hope that helps. Jo (late of Red Records, Brixton) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jo. I'm working my way around it all ...slowly. Comparisons with EVD an the H-B3?? Arghhh!! Sacrelige! wink.gif

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Thanks Jo. I'm working my way around it all ...slowly. Comparisons with EVD an the H-B3?? Arghhh!! Sacrelige! :)

But mais non.........the Skatalites as a studio band ran parallel with the Funk Brothers. Tommy McCook, Don Drummond and Roland Alphonso of the Skatalites were all Alpha boys (as far as I know) who had been properly trained on instruments. When you hear any of the above do a bit of 'freeform' they are as good as any well known jazz musician. And then...there was Jackie Mittoo :thumbsup: Mr Van Dyke and I have had a long and passionate affair, metaphorically speaking, over the years but Jackie has a very special place in my heart - what is it with these two and their organs?? When you hear Jackie play the instrumental version of Slim Smiths 'My Conversation', I guarantee you will feel the same. I dj'd for Jackie Mittoo' aunty once....that's the closest I'll ever get to him - he's gone to the big Hammond Heaven now :yes: but his music lives on. Jo

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

When you hear Jackie play the instrumental version of Slim Smiths 'My Conversation', I guarantee you will feel the same.

That'd be 'My Argument' by Johnny Melody, would it, Jo? If so, this particular JM is one of many aliases for Lloyd Terrell/Lloyd Charmers, not the great Mr. Mittoo. Unless he recorded it long after the event, I'm not aware of any Mittoo cut to 'My Conversation'.

If 'My Argument's the record you mean it , would have sounded a lot better if Lloydie had played the organ in the right key...

:thumbsup::):yes:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Sorry to be a pedantic git again lol. No.1 Station was by my good friend Mr Dennis Alcapone (ok Gordon, stop effing namedropping - Ed)

DOHHHHHHHHHH.........I'm getting my toasters mixed up lol - Morphy Richards. I had I Roy on the brain - it is Dennis Alcapone...but I was right about the Del Vikings :thumbsup:

No, I'm afraid you were wrong about that too, Jo - "The Big Beat" song that is sung behind Dennis' DJing on "No. 1 Station" was (and still is) by Fats Domino. From the flim of the same name,, by the way...

Nitpickingly (and always lovingly) yours,

TONE

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

DOHHHHHHHHHH.........I'm getting my toasters mixed up lol - Morphy Richards. I had I Roy on the brain - it is Dennis Alcapone...but I was right about the Del Vikings :yes:

No, I'm afraid you were wrong about that too, Jo - "The Big Beat" song that is sung behind Dennis' DJing on "No. 1 Station" was (and still is) by Fats Domino. From the flim of the same name,, by the way...

Nitpickingly (and always lovingly) yours,

TONE

You can pick my nits any day Tony....but the Del Vikings did do a song called 'The Big Beat' which contained the line 'the big beat keeps you rockin' - which they must've nicked from 'No 1 Station'.... :thumbup: and there's another Fats Domino connection. Very happy to have been corrected biggrin.gif x

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

That'd be 'My Argument' by Johnny Melody, would it, Jo? If so, this particular JM is one of many aliases for Lloyd Terrell/Lloyd Charmers, not the great Mr. Mittoo. Unless he recorded it long after the event, I'm not aware of any Mittoo cut to 'My Conversation'.

If 'My Argument's the record you mean it , would have sounded a lot better if Lloydie had played the organ in the right key...

:thumbup::yes:wicked.gif

There was the versions album Yamaha Skank and the track was called 'Tribute to Slim Smith'....now as there are no artist listings on the versions, I was told that it was Jackie Mittoo....but please pick my nits :yes: But another great Jackie track is Jericho Rock....and I am positive that I'm correct in that....or am I :D Any excuse to talk about Jackie Mittoo :D x

Social source share

You are indeed right with Jericho Rock (which also features Ernie Ranglin on guitar). There's a great vocal cut to this by Tyrone Evans (of Paragons fame) called "How Sweet It Is". It was around a couple of years ago on a booted 12". Originals of Studio 1 extended mixes are hard to come by.

BTW, all you lot "darn sarf" get your derrieres up to Newcastle next month. Why? Just type Boss Sounds Festival into Google and prepare to drool........

Prince Buster, Ken Boothe, John Holt, Ernie Ranglin, Max Romeo, Dennis Alcapone, Gregory Isaacs and more all on the same bill. They call it a festival but it's more like a soul weekender only for ska and reggae, held indoors in a massive 3000(?) capacity venue with record stalls, Jamaican food, etc. Don't think they have tombola and bingo like Cala Gran though :thumbup:

As for Spouge, look out for an album on WIRL (Bajan pressing) called "The Memorable Jackie Opel".

Gordy

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

You are indeed right with Jericho Rock (which also features Ernie Ranglin on guitar). There's a great vocal cut to this by Tyrone Evans (of Paragons fame) called "How Sweet It Is". It was around a couple of years ago on a booted 12". Originals of Studio 1 extended mixes are hard to come by.

BTW, all you lot "darn sarf" get your derrieres up to Newcastle next month. Why? Just type Boss Sounds Festival into Google and prepare to drool........

Prince Buster, Ken Boothe, John Holt, Ernie Ranglin, Max Romeo, Dennis Alcapone, Gregory Isaacs and more all on the same bill. They call it a festival but it's more like a soul weekender only for ska and reggae, held indoors in a massive 3000(?) capacity venue with record stalls, Jamaican food, etc. Don't think they have tombola and bingo like Cala Gran though :thumbup:

As for Spouge, look out for an album on WIRL (Bajan pressing) called "The Memorable Jackie Opel".

Gordy

Just to add a little bit to what Gordy says about "Jericho Rock", it was also repressed in 1972 as "Jericho Skank", but despite the slight title change it's excatly the same mix as the original release. It's one of my favourite early rocksteady instrumentals and has been for decades (I also really like Elvis Presley's version, but I suppose that's neither here nore there...)

Boss Sounds Festival sounds like a great weekend away - I will lay odds, though, and without even checking, that it clashes with 'Rhythm Riot' which is always my 'must attend' for November. I'm going to Google it now, in any event!

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Just to add a little bit to what Gordy says about "Jericho Rock", it was also repressed in 1972 as "Jericho Skank", but despite the slight title change it's excatly the same mix as the original release. It's one of my favourite early rocksteady instrumentals and has been for decades (I also really like Elvis Presley's version, but I suppose that's neither here nore there...)

Boss Sounds Festival sounds like a great weekend away - I will lay odds, though, and without even checking, that it clashes with 'Rhythm Riot' which is always my 'must attend' for November. I'm going to Google it now, in any event!

Tony, if it doesn't clash with Rhythm Riot (same weekend as PTP's 50th bash) and it's in Dec. I'm up for it and I'd get some Apex tickets and we could go up if you fancy it. Let me know when and where - sounds fabulous :) Jo PS. I always knew you had excellent taste - Jericho Rock is one of my fav instrumentals too :D Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Prince Buster, Ken Boothe, John Holt, Ernie Ranglin, Max Romeo, Dennis Alcapone, Gregory Isaacs and more all on the same bill. They call it a festival but it's more like a soul weekender only for ska and reggae, held indoors in a massive 3000(?) capacity venue with record stalls, Jamaican food, etc. Don't think they have tombola and bingo like Cala Gran though :D

Gordy

Shame about not having a tombola - I always think that adds a certain je ne sais qua to the proceedings :D But the artist line up more than makes up for it....I think I would faint if I met Ernest Ranglin - top bloke as they all are :) Jo

PS If you have a quick sound clip of the Tyrone Evans - I'd love to hear it

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tony, if it doesn't clash with Rhythm Riot (same weekend as PTP's 50th bash) and it's in Dec. I'm up for it and I'd get some Apex tickets and we could go up if you fancy it. Let me know when and where - sounds fabulous :) Jo PS. I always knew you had excellent taste - Jericho Rock is one of my fav instrumentals too :D Jo

...ah but do you like Elvis' version, too? (it's on the "His Hand In Mine" album...)

Did some digging - unfortunately this event DOES clash with RR, which is my one 'can't miss' event of the year (even more so than Cleethorpes, in fact). It's going to be a fantastic RR this year, too. Harvey Fuqua and Eugene Pitt of the Jive Five are on, in a doo wop supergroup with Herbie Cox of the Cleftones and Speedoo Carroll of the Cadillacs/Coasters (as well as many other superlative vintage acts) Man alive, I'm over the top with exciptement and it's still a month away!!!!!

TONExxx

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Jo the reason you got the artists mixed up on the Number One Station/Rock To The Beat or whatever it's called, it is by Dennis Alcapone but the UK Duke issue credits it to Hugh Roy.

Thanks Pete...I knew somewhere that No1 Station was creditted to U Roy...although I always get him mixed up with I Roy rolleyes.gif And Fats Domino did 'The Big Beat' from the film of the same name....can't find 'No1 Station' by him :lol:

post-1898-1193671320_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Jo the reason you got the artists mixed up on the Number One Station/Rock To The Beat or whatever it's called, it is by Dennis Alcapone but the UK Duke issue credits it to Hugh Roy.

...and the honest to goodness reason why it's miscredited - deliberately, in this case - is that U Roy was on tour in the UK when this record came out, Trojan didn't have any new U Roy material that they could sling out, and so they just stuck his name on this Dennis Alacpone record instead.

I don't know who they were hoping to deceive (except maybe Jo whistling.gif ) as it sounds nothing like Daddy U Roy, but I was told this by someone who was working at Trojan at the time so I have no reason not to believe that it's 100% true.

Interesting fact about Fats D - he was so busy on tour by 1957 that he sometimes just sang his new material over pre-recorded backing tracks that were shipped to the studio nearest to where he was gigging. The piano was often played not by Fats, but instead by Allen Toussaint - and that's excatly the case with "The Big Beat"...

...still keeps you rockin' on your feet, though...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

...and the honest to goodness reason why it's miscredited - deliberately, in this case - is that U Roy was on tour in the UK when this record came out, Trojan didn't have any new U Roy material that they could sling out, and so they just stuck his name on this Dennis Alacpone record instead. I don't know who they were hoping to deceive (except maybe Jo :ohmy: ) as it sounds nothing like Daddy U Roy - he could've had a cold :lol:

but I was told this by someone who was working at Trojan at the time so I have no reason not to believe that it's 100% true. That's outrageous :lol::lol:

Interesting fact about Fats D - he was so busy on tour by 1957 that he sometimes just sang his new material over pre-recorded backing tracks that were shipped to the studio nearest to where he was gigging. The piano was often played not by Fats, but instead by Allen Toussaint - and that's excatly the case with "The Big Beat"...no way!!!! is there no end to this double dealing dastardly deception :D:D Tony, you could start a new thread - 'Deception - He Wrote' and unveil all the pop trickery.....

...still keeps you rockin' on your feet, though... :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert