String Section On Impact, Wingate & Ric-tic - Any Info?

Ian Dewhirst

I've been listening to the string sections on the intrumental versions on records like Duke Browner "Crying Over You", The Tartans "Nothing But Love", Wingate Love-In Strings "Let's Have A Love-In" and Al Kent's "The Way You've Been Acting Lately" and I love the way they've been mixed in the original recordings. I think they've mixed better than the Motown recordings from the same era because they're more upfront in the mix.

So were these all the same string section? I presume they were....

If so who were they?

And also was it the same engineer on all these recordings?

Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ian D

Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've been listening to the string sections on the intrumental versions on records like Duke Browner "Crying Over You", The Tartans "Nothing But Love", Wingate Love-In Strings "Let's Have A Love-In" and Al Kent's "The Way You've Been Acting Lately" and I love the way they've been mixed in the original recordings. I think they've mixed better than the Motown recordings from the same era because they're more upfront in the mix.

So were these all the same string section? I presume they were....

If so who were they?

And also was it the same engineer on all these recordings?

Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ian D

Hi Ian

Bob Wilson contacted us at Hitsville Soul Club recently during a Ric-Tic Thread,

He gave us this >>> LINK <<< Mentions Detroit Symphony Orchestra, etc.

Social source share

Hi Ian

Bob Wilson contacted us at Hitsville Soul Club recently during a Ric-Tic Thread,

He gave us this >>> LINK <<< Mentions Detroit Symphony Orchestra, etc.

Cheers Roger,

Useful but still sketchy though. The weird thing is that the strings are all mixed in a very similar way but the producers and arrangers are all different on many of the records. It makes me wonder if Ed Wingate used to have a final listening say in each of the mixes and made sure that the strings were upfront in the mix.....

Maybe one for Rob Moss......

Ian D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert