Bobby Treetop

• Replies 11
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Has anyone got any info on Bobby Treetop or his releases? Was this his real name, did he only record on Tuff etc.

I saw on Mr. Rimmers site that "Wait..." came out twice, with different B-sides,I only ever seen the one with Valentine on the flip, any info on this?

TIA,

Martin

heres a youtube link with "wait" live on a record deck, :huh::thumbsup:

https://ru.youtube.com/watch?v=szAPe2Fs3dw

Social source share

Has anyone got any info on Bobby Treetop or his releases? Was this his real name, did he only record on Tuff etc.

I saw on Mr. Rimmers site that "Wait..." came out twice, with different B-sides,I only ever seen the one with Valentine on the flip, any info on this?

TIA,

Martin

I don't know anything about him, but 'wait till I get to know ya' was a minor hit in chicago and the record turns up sometimes. The version with valentine on the flip is the one that turns up. The other version (with so sweet so satisfying) is impossible to find at least in chicago.

Social source share

I don't know anything about him, but 'wait till I get to know ya' was a minor hit in chicago and the record turns up sometimes. The version with valentine on the flip is the one that turns up. The other version (with so sweet so satisfying) is impossible to find at least in chicago.

Hi Boba, was always under the impression that 'so sweet' flips were bootlegs?

Actual originals were Wait/Valentine-Tuff 417 and So Sweet/Valentine -Tuff 415 almost certain Id heard that Wait/So Sweet was a counterfeit numbered 417

Can anyone confirm?

M. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Boba, was always under the impression that 'so sweet' flips were bootlegs?

Actual originals were Wait/Valentine-Tuff 417 and So Sweet/Valentine -Tuff 415 almost certain Id heard that Wait/So Sweet was a counterfeit numbered 417

Can anyone confirm?

M. :thumbsup:

I don't know, if they were bootlegs it would be something that UK collectors would know better than me. I vaguely remember seeing a copy on ebay, though (although I can't find one in popsike) and Manship has it in in 'rarest of the rare'.

Social source share

Thanks for your input guys!

The release with sweet/wait back to back is a boot, even though it is listed in the Soul Harmony book. What I thought was strange was that Wait according to Soulfulkindamusic had been issued twice with different B-sides. I´ve only ever seen the same ones as you Bob, with Valentine on the flip.

BTW, love your show, especially the interviews! :rolleyes:

Social source share

Thanks for your input guys!

The release with sweet/wait back to back is a boot, even though it is listed in the Soul Harmony book. What I thought was strange was that Wait according to Soulfulkindamusic had been issued twice with different B-sides. I´ve only ever seen the same ones as you Bob, with Valentine on the flip.

BTW, love your show, especially the interviews! :thumbup:

Thanks for the feedback on my shows, I appreciate it.

Are you saying that "so sweet so satisfying" did come out but with a flip that is not 'wait...'? What is the 'correct' flip of that song? Thanks a lot.

Social source share

[The release with sweet/wait back to back is a boot, even though it is listed in the Soul Harmony book. What I thought was strange was that Wait according to Soulfulkindamusic had been issued twice with different B-sides. I´ve only ever seen the same ones as you Bob, with Valentine on the flip.

Original issues of "Wait Till I get To Know You"/Valantine - Bobby Treetop - Tuff was made with two different designs that I know of. One was a Yellow background with all BLACK print, Tuff logo and musical notes . (This is the one you will see most)

The other original had Yellow Background with TUFF and the musical notes in BROWN. The Title and credits in black then the info round the bottom in brown. Both have Valentine on the flip.

The boot had WAIT on one side and Satisfying on the other, but did NOT have the musical notes either side of the TUFF logo.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

[The release with sweet/wait back to back is a boot, even though it is listed in the Soul Harmony book. What I thought was strange was that Wait according to Soulfulkindamusic had been issued twice with different B-sides. I´ve only ever seen the same ones as you Bob, with Valentine on the flip.

Original issues of "Wait Till I get To Know You"/Valantine - Bobby Treetop - Tuff was made with two different designs that I know of. One was a Yellow background with all BLACK print, Tuff logo and musical notes . (This is the one you will see most)

The other original had Yellow Background with TUFF and the musical notes in BROWN. The Title and credits in black then the info round the bottom in brown. Both have Valentine on the flip.

The boot had WAIT on one side and Satisfying on the other, but did NOT have the musical notes either side of the TUFF logo.

Also, the FIRST bootleg of "Wait Til I Get To Know Ya" (1973) had "Valentine" as the flip side, and was yellow with plain black type, (no 'note' motifs if I remember correctly). "So Sweet, So Satisfyin'" wasn't bootlegged until some years later I guess.

Both records were big spins at the Cats for Blue Max incidently, as was E. Rodney Jones and later, Little Joe Roman.

(I wonder where he got all his TUFF-STUFF from???!)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Now I am getting confused, my boot has has musical notes on either side of 'TUFF'.

Can anyone throw up some scans?

Social source share

• 11 years later...

Does this link help, I know there is one scan absent and maybe more release but you guys know more than me

https://www.45cat.com/artist/bobby-treetop

As far as I finding out who Bobby is/was I have emailed Jimmy Raye who has this site and maybe someone on here knows him as my email may end up in his scam box

My thoughts were was he possibly Bobby Copney under an alias (but I am often wrong)

https://www.tuffrecords.com/index.html

https://www.jimmieraye.com/Discographypageone.html

On this site there is a photo of Jimmy with Kev Roberts who clearly knows him from the USA Soul Trip

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!