Larry Hale

Guest Andy Kempster

Guest Andy Kempster

is the re-issue a looky likey...???

does the green and white demo look the same...???

and how do i tell the difference if it does...???

any help appreciated

all the best

Andy

:thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

The Boot is white with green print the real one is green Diamond as usual.

At work so not got access to records or guides at the moment. But, from memory, I was disappointed to learn that my Larry Hale, which looked like the one Prophonics had pictured was a boot according to JM guide. I think it states that the orig is more blue/green and the pale blue is a look-a-like boot, verifyed by deadwax markings. I'll have a look later and check, I'd be happy to find mine isn't a boot but I think it is. The green and white print one is an obvious boot as I recall.

Dean

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

At work so not got access to records or guides at the moment. But, from memory, I was disappointed to learn that my Larry Hale, which looked like the one Prophonics had pictured was a boot according to JM guide. I think it states that the orig is more blue/green and the pale blue is a look-a-like boot, verifyed by deadwax markings. I'll have a look later and check, I'd be happy to find mine isn't a boot but I think it is. The green and white print one is an obvious boot as I recall.

Dean

OK Dean, let me know what you find out as I want to be getting myself one but it needs to be OVO

Social source share

OK Dean, let me know what you find out as I want to be getting myself one but it needs to be OVO

I'll post a pic of mine about 5 ish and check on the run-out markings if it helps. It's an intersting point to me as I'd picked it up in the record bar at Wigan, the following week it was listed as "One to watch" in Black Echoes. I cut out the article and stuck it to the record sleeve, proud that it said "watch out for the green an white copies which are boots". Only realised a couple of years ago it wasn't an orig.

Social source share

Apologies if pic isn't too clear. Anyhow, not a difinitive answer but may help others to comment to find one.

JM's guide (do you think John ever minds us quoting this?) mentions a fake look a like boot that even has a drill hole, pale blue as opposed to the sea green original. Also states that the 'leggers got the matrix wrong by including a - .

This one isn't sea green, though has no drill hole, but has scratched matix D 203 - B (Polly Wolly side has D - 203 - A).

I'm thinking this is prob a look-a-like boot without the drill hole, please please feel free to correct me.

Just out of interest the Echoes write up that I stuck to the sleeve (when I was much younger!) reads:

"Originally covered up as Pat White's 'One More Once' this is brilliant Wigan '76 stomper. The maxim widely used when listening to a new song - 'If it grabs you in the first twenty seconds - grab it'. Works with this one.The unique thumping drum opening and off key brass compliments Larry's wailing tortuous voice, so reminiscent of a Teddy Vann Production a la 'Moonlight Music & You' and 'What Shall I do'. Watch out for the Blue Diamond Normal copies as against the green and white demo which is a pressing"

Who knows? Dean

post-5677-1226425085_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dean
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!