Dave Thorley

Jazz/funk Lp Hidden Gems

Here a chance to dig through your old jazz/funk lp's and pull out those hidden soul gems. Back in the day when The Mecca made it's major shift to jazz/funk, many dismissed it all as disco dross, but some great LP tracks where played and then forgotten.

So any for any

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

A good topic, Dave. Haven't got the facility to post soundfiles but a few off the top of my head would be:

Charles Earland & Odyssey "Drifting" from The Great Pyramid (Mercury) although this is on a 12" single as well.

Charles Earland & Odyssey "Shining Bright" from Revelation (Mercury)

The above two Charles Earland tracks feature the vocals of The Sound Experience's Arthur Grant and are both wonderful soul cuts: Drifting is uptempo, while Shining Bright is maybe the greatest stepper of them all.

Pharoah Sanders featuring Phyllis Hyman "Love Is Here" from Love Will Find A Way (Arista)

A beautifully profound ballad and for me Phyllis Hyman's best ever record.

Melvin Sparks "Get Ya Some" from Melvin Sparks 75 (Westbound)

A pounding but cool soul instrumental as opposed to a 'jazz funk' track. This album also features two great vocals from Detroit's Jimmy Scott.

I should also mention Coke Escovedo's "I Wouldn't Change A Thing" from Comin' At Ya (Mercury), which might be old hat to many, but is pretty much the definitive example of a soul anthem on a Jazz Funk lp. I think this track is overdue a journey onto the mainstream Northern scene, where I'm sure it has the potential to be very popular.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

A good topic, Dave. Haven't got the facility to post soundfiles but a few off the top of my head would be:

Charles Earland & Odyssey "Drifting" from The Great Pyramid (Mercury) although this is on a 12" single as well.

Charles Earland & Odyssey "Shining Bright" from Revelation (Mercury)

The above two Charles Earland tracks feature the vocals of The Sound Experience's Arthur Grant and are both wonderful soul cuts: Drifting is uptempo, while Shining Bright is maybe the greatest stepper of them all.

Pharoah Sanders featuring Phyllis Hyman "Love Is Here" from Love Will Find A Way (Arista)

A beautifully profound ballad and for me Phyllis Hyman's best ever record.

Melvin Sparks "Get Ya Some" from Melvin Sparks 75 (Westbound)

A pounding but cool soul instrumental as opposed to a 'jazz funk' track. This album also features two great vocals from Detroit's Jimmy Scott.

I should also mention Coke Escovedo's "I Wouldn't Change A Thing" from Comin' At Ya (Mercury), which might be old hat to many, but is pretty much the definitive example of a soul anthem on a Jazz Funk lp. I think this track is overdue a journey onto the mainstream Northern scene, where I'm sure it has the potential to be very popular.

I recently heard weldon irvine "morning sunrise" (which is a jay-z sample and apparently also covered by lenny white and twennynine) and I thought it was a nice group soul cut actually.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

All About the SOUL - Source Forum

Jump into the northern soul music & beyond talk now!

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Marrs Bar Pete Does Jazzfunk At Rugby
    All About The Soul by Marrs bar pete on Wed 08 Apr 2009
    • 9 / 743
    • NorthernDancer on 09 Apr 2009
  2. 2010-10-31: Hidden Gems With Scott Taylor
    Look At Your Box by Hidden Gems on Sat 30 Oct 2010
    • 1 / 601
    • Hidden Gems on 30 Oct 2010
  3. Debbie Taylor Hidden Gems Special
    All About The Soul by Hidden Gems on Thu 03 Nov 2011
    • 2 / 556
    • Hidden Gems on 09 Nov 2011
  4. Hidden Gems With Scott Taylor: New Schedule
    All About The Soul by Hidden Gems on Wed 04 Jul 2012
    • 81 / 4337
    • Hidden Gems on 11 Dec 2014
  5. Your Hidden Gems
    All About The Soul by on Fri 05 Aug 2005
    • 9 / 1149
    • on 10 Aug 2005

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.