Charlie "cole Black" Brown - I've Got Your Love/i Just Cant Get Over You

John Reed

I've just noticed that SoulBowl have this for sale on ebay stating that it is the original press. I had a look at my copy and it's exactly the same except mines not a demo (text is all in the same places and in the same font). I then compared it to the picture on John Manships site. This one is different to the SoulBowl and my one, so I'm assuming its the re-press.

I also remember reading an article by Tim Brown saying that this was quite rare, but cant remember if he was talking about the issue or demo or both.

Can anyone shed any light on this, and if theres any significant price difference?

Cheers,

John

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

The original press was quite hard to find for a long time, but I've had a couple of dj copies off ebay for peanuts (both under a dollar) in the last few years. Both copies had an inaudible pressing fault: a blemish which looks like a small crack in the styrene. As it's in exactly the same place on both copies I'm guessing it's on others too, but like I said it's inaudible.

I've never seen a legitimate first issue though and imagine it's quite a tough one, but I wouldn't have said it was any more valuable than the dj copy unless you're thinking of selling to someone who might particularly covet such an item.

The represses are on vinyl and the type is smaller than on the styrene orignal.

The ballad side is a wonderful slice of Chicago soul, the crossover side is a bit generic to be a truly good record although the ingredients are all in place.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

The original press was quite hard to find for a long time, but I've had a couple of dj copies off ebay for peanuts (both under a dollar) in the last few years. Both copies had an inaudible pressing fault: a blemish which looks like a small crack in the styrene. As it's in exactly the same place on both copies I'm guessing it's on others too, but like I said it's inaudible.

I've never seen a legitimate first issue though and imagine it's quite a tough one, but I wouldn't have said it was any more valuable than the dj copy unless you're thinking of selling to someone who might particularly covet such an item.

The represses are on vinyl and the type is smaller than on the styrene orignal.

The ballad side is a wonderful slice of Chicago soul, the crossover side is a bit generic to be a truly good record although the ingredients are all in place.

Gareth,

I'm an issue freak, so to me the issue has more value than the demo, even though that may not be the case from a monetary perspective.

I haven't got printer access as home at present, so can't scan my copy, but if you compare scans of the one Soul Bowl is selling

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/70s-MODERN-SOUL-CHAR...A1%7C240%3A1318

and the one on JM's site

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/images/scans/47614.jpg

Generally IMO the type is smaller on the SB copy than the JM scan?

The text "Pollyday (BMI)" & "Soul Company" on the the SB copy is smaller and the the right hand side the "Record Corp" is under "1973 Jewel" also where its not on the JM copy.

So who's selling the original, Soul Bowl for a min bid of £20 or JM for a tenner?

Social source share

Hi John

The Soul Bowl one is a first press demo. The copy on JM's site is the second issue and I think prices for both are spot on. I understand Garry Cape was instrumental in getting the Lewis family to repress this: possibly for the Japanese or European market. He's a member here so can perhaps tell us the full story. Congratulations on snagging an original issue.

best,

gareth

Social source share

Hi John

The Soul Bowl one is a first press demo. The copy on JM's site is the second issue and I think prices for both are spot on. I understand Garry Cape was instrumental in getting the Lewis family to repress this: possibly for the Japanese or European market. He's a member here so can perhaps tell us the full story. Congratulations on snagging an original issue.

best,

gareth

Hello folks

Yes, I got it repressed when meeting with Stan Lewis in Shreveport. There were 500, mainly for selling overseas for the ballad side.

The repress was on vinyl - the original had been on styrene.

The repress used a slighly lighter blue paper - the original darker blue was that which has a sparkly effect to it.

The repress had a different size font - the original font was pressed into the label - rather than being printed on it.

Many times back in those days, a record would be on a demo to service the radio stations - then if it didn't appeal to the jocks, they simply wouldn't go ahead with a regular release of it.

I don't know if I ever saw a regular non-demo copy of the first issue - if someone has one, then it must exist

Garry

Social source share

Hello folks

Yes, I got it repressed when meeting with Stan Lewis in Shreveport. There were 500, mainly for selling overseas for the ballad side.

The repress was on vinyl - the original had been on styrene.

The repress used a slighly lighter blue paper - the original darker blue was that which has a sparkly effect to it.

The repress had a different size font - the original font was pressed into the label - rather than being printed on it.

Many times back in those days, a record would be on a demo to service the radio stations - then if it didn't appeal to the jocks, they simply wouldn't go ahead with a regular release of it.

I don't know if I ever saw a regular non-demo copy of the first issue - if someone has one, then it must exist

Garry

I now have doubts about my copy.... if Garry hasn't seen one.

It looks like the SB one, but don't remember seeing the "Not for sale" on it, maybe its only on one side and never noticed it.

I need to try and fix my scanner tonight and post it up.

Social source share

Here is a scan of both sides. Its the same text and Font as the Soul Bowl one but differernt to the one on JM.

post-4493-1232146093_thumb.jpg

post-4493-1232146119_thumb.jpg

Surely there must be more about?

Yep, I have one. Picked it up for less than the cost of my much played re-press at Dave Thorley's Powerhouse all-nighter last summer. I'd stopped believing they existed beyond promo up until then. Awesome tune ohmy.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!