• Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Doni Burdick - candle (in the window) / whatcha gonna do - soul king

is this a ligit sixty's relese. have herd that it was actually unissued  :P

link

I think this can be considered as one of those "ligit releases" from the mid ninties, I seem to remember. I can't remember who turned up the original tapes.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Nah, not legit. It was, as you rightly said, unreleased.

Soulking label is actualy by soul(Chris)king, if I remember correctly? :P

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Thought it was Rod Dearlove and Tim Brown????

link

Probably right as usual, Chalks!

Ian O'Hara told me it was CK, when I asked him about it, a couple of years ago. :P

Social source share

There was a vintage acetate, Sound Patterns I think, sold by someone in Detroit on ebay recently that had "Candle" on one side and "Watcha Gonna Do" on the other. It seemed to be the genuiney article, but naturally I have no proof of any kind. A well known collector in the UK bought it.

Social source share

Has anyone got a Metros for sale on the label?

Were there more than 3 releases?

If so who were the others by?

link

Dunno if there were any others,but the other one on Soul King was by Nelson Suanders " It`s real.

Both the Metros and the Nelson Saunders sort of turned up togeather at the same time on Soul King.Doni Burdick,as Chalky said was huge for Colin Law and played it from an accetate and if I remember it looked the genuine 10" article,and I dont remember Colin playing anything but the real thing.So Christian thats maybe who bought the accetate you mentioned.It wasn`t till a while after Colin had been playing it that "Candle" turned up on Soul king.

The Metros was a biggie at Allanton/Shotts allnighters and could do with a spin again,great tune.

Edited by ANDY D
Social source share

Dunno if there were any others,but the other one on Soul King was by Nelson Suanders " It`s real.

Both the Metros and the Nelson Saunders sort of turned up togeather at the same time on Soul King.Doni Burdick,as Chalky said was huge for Colin Law and played it from an accetate and if I remember it looked the genuine 10" article,and I dont remember Colin playing anything but the real thing.So Christian thats maybe who bought the accetate you mentioned.It wasn`t till a while after Colin had been playing it that "Candle" turned up on Soul king.

The Metros was a biggie at Allanton/Shotts allnighters and could do with a spin again,great tune.

link

I know who bought it, and it was not Colin Law. It was recently, a month or two ago. As far as I have been able to find out there has never been any original acetates before, some were made up by someone (Ron Murphy?) and sold to people, and some perhaps believed they were original vintage acetates, which they by all accounts were not. This was many years ago. There might now be an original acetate in the UK though, if the one I saw was real. I might be wrong of course.

Social source share

link

Andy

If i remember correctly Jim O'Hara brought an acetate of the Metros back on his first trip to the states. The story i heard was he was in a shop and the guy had a load of masters and a cutting machine in the back of the shop and cut it for him on the spot.

Derek

Social source share

I know who bought it, and it was not Colin Law. It was recently, a month or two ago. As far as I have been able to find out there has never been any original acetates before, some were made up by someone (Ron Murphy?) and sold to people, and some perhaps believed they were original vintage acetates, which they by all accounts were not. This was many years ago. There might now be an original acetate in the UK though, if the one I saw was real. I might be wrong of course.

link

I would have thought the studio would have cut an acetate upon recording? Whatever the source Colin Law was spinning this years before it surfaced on Soul King.

According to Ron Murphy there should have been 8 releases on Gold Soul, three were pressed then a fire wiped out the ARP pressing plant losing in the process 5 releases...The Metros, Nelson Saunders and Lafayette Vaughn amongst them.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Thought it was Rod Dearlove and Tim Brown????

link

colin law played martin koppels acetate at shotts in the early ninetys, at the same time i brought a few back from ron murphy in the detroit sound corp. in detroit, along with the metros and another one[ 70s crossover thing, memory failure], i thought he was responsible for soul king.

Social source share

link

andy the one that was played at shotts by mark linton was actually jim o hara's acetate and was a completely different take from the soul king release, heavy brass intro.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert