Memphis Nomads On Stax

Has anyone got any info on this 45 I have.

I know its by a white group and was released locally in the Memphis area on Stax for charity (All proceeds for this benefit the March of Dimes) ranting_1.gif and thats as much as I know.

Why was it released on Stax , Whats The March of the dimes , how rare is it and what is the value.

memphis_nomads.mp3

mem.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Memphis Garage outfit who also recorded as Poor Little Rich Kids.

March of dimes is the name for a group of charity organisations that raise money in various states for health related causes. It was started by President Roosevelt after he contracted Polio.

Nearly a great record but it not quite right is it? Certainly one of the odder Stax releases.

Godz

post-1918-1148241975.jpg

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Has a few garage trademarks like the undertaker funeral type organ at the start along with other little bits , without these it could of been a superb record.

Don't mind the organ myself Craig - mind you I like a lot of Garage stuff anyway. I just think that if either the band had been a bit tighter (and had a better singer) or it had a few more quid thrown at it production wise it could have been a belter.

Having said that I have a copy and I like it in a quirky way. Value wise, I think around £30 which is mostly down to lack of demand as I imagine it's one of the rarer Stax releases.

Godz

Social source share

Has anyone got any info on this 45 I have.

I know its by a white group and was released locally in the Memphis area on Stax for charity (All proceeds for this benefit the March of Dimes) :lol: and thats as much as I know.

Why was it released on Stax , Whats The March of the dimes , how rare is it and what is the value.

Hi Craig, What about the flip? a version of Manhattans/Pretenders "I Wanna Be" that came out on Carnival, yet strange on the Stax 45 it's credited to Hall & Weaver, and not the Manhattan's "Blue" Lovett who actually wrote it! Seen this on Ebay a week or so ago, was tempted to pick it up as an oddity.

steve

Social source share

I like it loads,off the wall Northern/soul the way it should be,what about a file of t`other side?, :lol: i want one,anybody? :D

Social source share

Really like that, but think the singer is a bit naff,

Talking of Garage, got a Lively ones up in my play box, Take it while you can, sorry no soundfile mixer is up the duff, its on MGM quite an oddity but good, any one know it :huh:

Social source share

Really like that, but think the singer is a bit naff,

Talking of Garage, got a Lively ones up in my play box, Take it while you can, sorry no soundfile mixer is up the duff, its on MGM quite an oddity but good, any one know it :huh:

Yeah I got a 'Lively Ones'...great little oddity, I love these garage groups! Flip is also quite good, I know its something about 'bugaloo' or whatever, not bad at all.

here's a couple more garage bands with northern appeal...

Graduates - If I Ever Get Out Of This Mess I'm In (Rising Sons)

The Bit A' Sweet - Is It On, Is It Off / Out Of My Mind (MGM)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!