Dave Godin - B&S

Dayo

Is it expecting too much that the magazine he put on the map should mention his passing on their web site? Had a scout around, but couldn't find a reference to Dave.

Maybe I'm a little too idealistic. In fact, I'm smiling because 30 years ago this is the kind of omission that would have prompted me to write an outraged letter to Daddy G himself.

God bless him, he would have found time to reply too.

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Had a reply from Bob at Blues and Soul.

He says they are preparing a tribute to Dave for the next issue and it will feature on the website too.

Curious now, does anybody buy B&S these days?

link

Haven't done for ages.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I had it for a while last year but to be honest, it held little interest for me. It seemed that most of the content was Hip Hop based and even the Nu Soul featured usually had a Hip Hop or House connection. There were obviously exceptions to this but not often enough to make me renew my subscription. Certainly a far cry from Dave's day bearing very little resemblance to those hallowed pages of yore.

John

Social source share

I  had it for a while last year but to be honest, it held little interest for me. It seemed that most of the content was Hip Hop based and even the Nu Soul featured usually had a Hip Hop or House connection. There were obviously exceptions to this but not often enough to make me renew my subscription. Certainly a far cry from Dave's day bearing very little resemblance to those hallowed pages of yore.

John

link

I picked up a box full of late 60s, 70s & 80s B&S years back and I'm still not half way through 'em

Fascinating seeing what was getting played and charted in the early 70s especially.

Social source share

I picked up a box full of late 60s, 70s & 80s B&S years back and I'm still not half way through 'em

Fascinating seeing what was getting played and charted in the early 70s especially.

link

That was a lucky find Hotwaxx. Hope you got them nice and cheaply.

I've kept all my copies from 1970 onwards (sad, I know) Think the first issue I had was number 44 or thereabouts. If the newsagent was ever late with delivery, God help him! The excitement of opening a brand new B&S was insane.

The funny thing now is looking back at the record reviews - how many times could John Abbey get it sooo wrong? "Let's stay together; obviously not as strong as Tired of being Alone, but perhaps will be a small hit for Al Green" (or words to that effect!) He also struggled terribly when reviewing anything on Mojo - must have been hard to be impartial. He usually failed!

The letter pages are hilarious too in retrospect. I cringe now when I read the odd ones that I got published. The righteous indignation just because EMI had failed to spot a certain Stevie track as "an obvious hit". We thought we knew it all, bless us.

But the high spot was always Dave's column. Just now and then he could be a bit flowery and "deep" for a 14 year old. I was never quite clear as an SKF munching teen what his attitude to "gear" was - lol. But overall Dave was my personal guru. As many others have said, if DG said it was good, well, enuff said. Straight down to Boots record counter and get it on order.

The mag lost it's way for me when it became a weekly issue for a while. I think I dropped it not long afterwards. Seem to recall it got an American distribution deal for a while under the name of Stars and Stripes, or somesuch.

Is it still bi weekly? If so, that would be quite odd in this day and age.

Getting misty eyed again. Would love to hear other thoughts on B&S, and Dave's columns in particular.

Colin

Social source share

Would it not make a great tribute if someone were to publish all Dave's column in book format, and donate part of proceeds to his good causes.

Alan

link

What a wonderful idea !!!

I'd be happy to donate all his columns for Soulful Kinda Music to something like this.

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

What a really really great idea that is!! And what a respectful tribute to the great man.

As someone who has not had the opportunity to read many pieces by DG i have truly savoured the few morsels that i have found, be it on various websites or the Deep Soul Cd's. His passion and integrity for the artists and the soul scene shine through his writing, what better way to educate a growing number of younger rare soul fans, hungry for knowledge.

Profits to his favoured charity! What a great family the soul scene be.

sincerely

ben

Social source share

Cracking idea.

Wonder who owns the copyright to Dave's early B&S stuff?

Dave Godin Right On Now

Sounds like a project...

link

Blinding idea, kind of a complete works... Anybody approached BEE COOL yet!!!

Social source share

Dave would own the copyright to all his own work. Bee Cool would be the natural place to put the book out on if it was mainly his soul writings. It would involve a lot of work but could be done. It would need doing thoroughly.

link

Well you'd better get started then Ady. I think you've just been elected. I'll help out in any way that I can.

Although I suspect that B & S would possibly own the copyright of the articles published in B & S, it would depend on the type of contract Dave had with them and whether it specified who would retain ownership of the article, and for how long. But B & S will also own the Black Music articles as well won't they, I'm sure they took over Black Music at some stage.

I really do think this is a great idea though, and Bee Cool would be the best guys to publish it. As already stated, Dave's column's for Soulful Kinda Music are available to anyone who does get this off the ground, and as far as I'm aware the columns in 'SKM' were Dave's last regular writing on Soul music.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I think this is a great idea and one that i would most definitely support if it comes off

Would offer my assistance if there is anyway i could help with this project, not sure that i would be much use :thumbsup: but the offers there.

John

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!