Tmg 720 Auction

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...9/lot-22223979

A guy has posted details on Soulful Detroit regarding TMG 720 going up for auction.

This was my reply:

A hard disc most definitely.
I was a TMG collector, and bought every new release ( I would go to the nearest record shop and spend my weekly dinner money on the latest TMG). There was a ' weekly release sheet' and I remember the announcement of 720.
I tried to get it but , as you say, it was withdrawn. I'm not 100% certain , but I've always thought it was held back as Edwin Starr appeared on Top of the Pops with his new release of "Time", so presumably UK Motown went with that.
Just remembered ....I had a 'scam' regarding dinner tickets...I used a similar green cloakroom ticket (from local disco)as a substitute. The scam got rumbled when the prefect/monitor discovered that the ticket was not genuine. Don't think I got blamed directly...but it put an end to that idea.
Happy Days
Thanks for posting about 720

Edited by Guest
Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Sorry

where's the confusion...?

a rare 45 (720 demo) is being auctioned

Some collectors might want to know if they are after it.

Social source share

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...9/lot-22223979

A guy has posted details on Soulful Detroit regarding TMG 720 going up for auction.

This was my reply:

A hard disc most definitely.

I was a TMG collector, and bought every new release ( I would go to the nearest record shop and spend my weekly dinner money on the latest TMG). There was a ' weekly release sheet' and I remember the announcement of 720.

I tried to get it but , as you say, it was withdrawn. I'm not 100% certain , but I've always thought it was held back as Edwin Starr appeared on Top of the Pops with his new release of "Time", so presumably UK Motown went with that.

Just remembered ....I had a 'scam' regarding dinner tickets...I used a similar green cloakroom ticket (from local disco)as a substitute. The scam got rumbled when the prefect/monitor discovered that the ticket was not genuine. Don't think I got blamed directly...but it put an end to that idea.

Happy Days

Thanks for posting about 720

I did the same with my dinner money spending it on TMG's and Stax records

Are these the weekly release sheets you talk about. I had hundreds until my Mum threw them out, This is the only one I have left from 1973 almost 41 years ago to the week!

post-3768-0-90555700-1401224084_thumb.jp

post-3768-0-42087700-1401224099_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL.... TMG72O DEMO, Unless you have money to burn, what is the point of buying this record, it really baffles me, there are loads of rare records why this is quoted, as a must have by collectors goes back to the late 7ts when record collecting spread it's wings and moved away from shared info gathered by some hard work over years of collecting, until then collecting vinyl was in the different groups like Rock n Roll Northern Soul Psyche Punk Rock & POP (collecting all the #1s was popular made harder if you wanted demo's) MOTOWN was an established area, & most collectors of MOTOWN were miles ahead of  myself in this area, once I realised that my 400 TAMLA  MOTOWN issues had got nothing of interest for the MOTOWN collector, typically people like Ady C & Mick S had  the Spinners Columbia DEMO & Earl Van Dyke sol stomp Stateside DEMO I saw no potential of ever trying to compete with them or ever get any where near to them,

So I sold the lot to some dealer in Cambridge & carried on collecting Northern Soul.

My point is this, TMG 720 DEMO is rare but if I ever had a copy it would be sold to Mick, as it had no place in with my records, Today I have a few hundred Tmla Motown 45s many RED & WHITE GREEN & WHITE DEMOS, but I would still not keep TMG 720 for the same reasons it is to expensive to have it's not a classic, but it's rare, as for R&W G&W DEMOS I will stick with my STATESIDE classics that you can enjoy and listen to, not wrap up never played waiting for the day to play pass the parcel with it will always be mint minus even though 20 people hove owned it, :g: That's what I think, :thumbsup: records are for the pleasure of listening to, I'm not a "stamp collector" are you?? :ohmy: DAVE K

Social source share

Each to their own, if a TM collector I can see the appeal. I'm unsure of its current value and not a TM collector per se, but if I found a copy cheap I'd be well happy as I rate this the best version of Ooh Baby Baby

PS I've always disliked Oh How Happy.

Edited by El Corol
Social source share

i was for UK Tamlas, but once i had'em all i flogged 'em. Just had the one VG copy of this.

:hatsoff2: HI ALL .... The onion song green & white demo in picture cover was a dislike... Kim Weston's HELPLESS DEMO was the one you kept. my point of naming both Ady & Mick was not for fact that they were much knowledgeable about rare records (they are) but they were completest with their UK MOTOWN collections at the time, and they would appreciate TMG 720 in's own right, looking back, I think I was so lucky to know both of them at the right time, I still refer to Mick as a sage a title that would apply to Ady also, they are the original soul boys whose lives are full of SOUL, THEY ALSO DON'T COLLECT STAMPS :rofl: TMG 720 or SHADES OF BLUE? or the German national anthem, you choose the winner :g: DAVE K ("from midnight till dawn, & never a yawn"). :g:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!