What is this record??

Ik001

17 hours ago, Okehdownsouth said:

Maybe we should start a new game called "Name That Tune

Someone writes and asks us to name a tune that they heard 30 or 40 years ago that they think was played by a certain dj at a certain venue but they can't be sure which dj or which venue. They can't remember who it was by or any of the lyrics or even if sounded a bit like another record and then we send in guesses and he replies saying sorry not that one until we get so pissed off that we give up.

As it it such an original idea it might even be turned into a TV show, or have I heard that before but can't remember?

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit (or so I'm lead to believe?) Just trying to find the name of a record. Can't say I'm the only member on this site that doesn't have a tune floating in his/her head that they don't know the artist/title to? Just thought members on here might be able to help??

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, ik001 said:

Yes you are on another planet :thumbsup::D

There is a difference between rarity and value, usually due to demand. Kind of economics 101.

This record has been around for years, and used to fetch just a modest sum. Certain DJ's get behind it and the demand goes up.  Like most records on the soul scene when its gets big everyone wants a copy, so the 'cheque book charlies' drive up the cost because they must have it there and then. Obviously when the cost is high sellers will ask that amount, they would be foolish not to. But is it due to rarity...no.

Social source share

22 minutes ago, Andy Mac said:

Yes you are on another planet :thumbsup::D

There is a difference between rarity and value, usually due to demand. Kind of economics 101.

This record has been around for years, and used to fetch just a modest sum. Certain DJ's get behind it and the demand goes up.  Like most records on the soul scene when its gets big everyone wants a copy, so the 'cheque book charlies' drive up the cost because they must have it there and then. Obviously when the cost is high sellers will ask that amount, they would be foolish not to. But is it due to rarity...no.

Supply and demand I know?? But saying there are many copies around I trust you know the score?? Not my bag the 70's stuff but this one floats the boat. I'll keep looking but I'm afraid I don't think the pockets will be deep enough.

Best,

Ian (From Planet Mars at the moment):thumbup:

Social source share

18 minutes ago, ik001 said:

Supply and demand I know?? But saying there are many copies around I trust you know the score?? Not my bag the 70's stuff but this one floats the boat. I'll keep looking but I'm afraid I don't think the pockets will be deep enough.

Best,

Ian (From Planet Mars at the moment):thumbup:

Ian

Plenty have gone through Evilbay over the years and through US and UK dealers. I'm not saying there are thousands out there, but based on people I know have a copy in UK, EU and US they are probably out there in the hundreds. There's probably a ton in Japan as they were after this sort of stuff way before us. My point was the price people are asking you would think there is only a handful of copies i.e. a rare record.

Andy

Social source share

Just now, Andy Mac said:

Ian

Plenty have gone through Evilbay over the years and through US and UK dealers. I'm not saying there are thousands out there, but based on people I know have a copy in UK, EU and US they are probably out there in the hundreds. There's probably a ton in Japan as they were after this sort of stuff way before us. My point was the price people are asking you would think there is only a handful of copies i.e. a rare record.

Andy

Cheers Andy,

All your info taken on board and am grateful for the info.

Ian.

Social source share

On 18/12/2015 at 15:25, ik001 said:

Cheers Andy,

All your info taken on board and am grateful for the info.

Ian.

Probably a bit rarer than we think I reckon. Just because a batch came onto the market about 10 years ago and certain DJ's got copies and played the arse off them so it seemed like it was everywhere, it hasn't been found in any quantities since and probably the odd one that does come up for sale is from that batch that were found.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!