New(ish) Paypal scan and Ebay antics

Almost had a bit of a scare yesterday. I sold an item and the person said he'd pay by Paypal, I gave him the Paypal address. The usual message appeared "So & So has paid you £400" on the e-mail page. So I packed item and got ready to tell buyer money had arrived. I read the note again and something wasn't quite right. It said that the money was "pending" until I shipped the item and mailed through the tracking number, I'd never heard that before. So I checked my Paypal account and there was nothing there, including the Pending payment. Forwarded e-mail to Paypal who confirmed it was a scam. I guess I've sold thousands of things via Paypal but never really bothered to check if the money had actually arrived on the account. Please be careful.

Oh yes, Ebay, they don't allow you to send an e-mail address via the messaging which can be a bit frustrating but you can put it on your auction page for whole world to see. 

Ah well, keeps everyone busy..................

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I get loads of spam mails but this was a real attempt to "buy" something from me, didn't ask me click a link or divulge any info, the "buyer" thought they'd get something without having to pay for it. Even had the gaul to ask if I'd shipped it !! I gave him a choice reply and haven't heard anything since, wonder why.

Social source share

3 hours ago, Chris L said:

Almost had a bit of a scare yesterday. I sold an item and the person said he'd pay by Paypal, I gave him the Paypal address. The usual message appeared "So & So has paid you £400" on the e-mail page. So I packed item and got ready to tell buyer money had arrived. I read the note again and something wasn't quite right. It said that the money was "pending" until I shipped the item and mailed through the tracking number, I'd never heard that before. So I checked my Paypal account and there was nothing there, including the Pending payment. Forwarded e-mail to Paypal who confirmed it was a scam. I guess I've sold thousands of things via Paypal but never really bothered to check if the money had actually arrived on the account. Please be careful.

Oh yes, Ebay, they don't allow you to send an e-mail address via the messaging which can be a bit frustrating but you can put it on your auction page for whole world to see. 

Ah well, keeps everyone busy..................

Chris  - Re the email in a message via Ebay way round it is get people to contact via Facebook . Or if not on there add the email broke up eg  joebloggs    at    dot  com don't ever mention email in the message that is how Ebay's random programming spots and blocks 

Social source share

14 minutes ago, glynthornhill said:

Chris  - Re the email in a message via Ebay way round it is get people to contact via Facebook . Or if not on there add the email broke up eg  joebloggs    at    dot  com don't ever mention email in the message that is how Ebay's random programming spots and blocks 

Even the word "at" can sometimes be rejected if it is next to a name, I usually say joebloggs  something.com (just insert the correct symbol).

I've never had a problem with a something.com - that seems to be allowed (future ref - as of June 2016 - things are always changing).

Social source share

20 hours ago, glynthornhill said:

What I do is type e-mail address onto a Word document, make a jpeg of and send in a message as a photo, long winded but works.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert