In Orbit

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

OOhh don't know it stillsoulin...anyone got a sound clip, pretty please?

The otherside of 'In Orbit' is nice too in a not Northern Soul way. She must have made other recordings.

Social source share

OOhh don't know it stillsoulin...anyone got a sound clip, pretty please?

The otherside of 'In Orbit' is nice too in a not Northern Soul way. She must have made other recordings.

Hi

I wonder If she will be one of those Artists, that kept changing names, or sang within a Group or Backing Singer role.

Surely this can't have been her only Record?

Social source share

The late Ronnie Lovejoy... one of the greatest SOUL singers of the past 20 years!

I doubt very much if this Alabama boy was in any way related to Joy Lovejoy, as she was almost certainly a Chicago artist.

Sean

what does it matter where people live

im in the south but ive got a cousin in scotland

moldie

Social source share

what does it matter where people live

im in the south but ive got a cousin in scotland

moldie

If that's a serious question... then you are a good bit...no a lot closer... to Scotland living in the south (even if you live in Southampton) than Alabama is to Chicago.

And as hinted at earlier (apart from going into the natural demographics) Lovejoy is not a particularly uncommon Surname... especially in a country with a population of over 200 million. So I doubt very much if they were related... other than by the obvious historic, pre 1808 connection.

Sean

Social source share

If that's a serious question... then you are a good bit...no a lot closer... to Scotland living in the south (even if you live in Southampton) than Alabama is to Chicago.

And as hinted at earlier (apart from going into the natural demographics) Lovejoy is not a particularly uncommon Surname... especially in a country with a population of over 200 million. So I doubt very much if they were related... other than by the obvious historic, pre 1808 connection.

Sean

well that explains everything then

moldie

Social source share

Yes... I think so too!

:D

Sean

Joy Lovejoy ...... who she is / was , is a veritable mystery indeed .

" In Orbit " has one of the ballsiest intros ever of / on a record . I have loved the record from the first time I heard it ( no Sean , it was not on a wax cylinder laugh.gif ) , and I still do .

Since that first hearing , the quality of JL's vocals on " IO " ( and the agreeable b - side

" Oh Hum " ) wetted my appetite to know more of , and from JL .

My search ( like for so many others ) , despite countless attempts , has been a fruitless one . I have asked many esteemed figures ( including the late Dave Godin ) over the years if they knew anything of / about JL , but time and time again , the answer has been the same ...... nothing .

It would seem that " IO " and " OH " were the only known recordings to bear the name JL

- please someone prove me wrong !!

Now for the theories part ..... The question is was JL her real name or the pseudonym for another Chess artist - providing she was a Chess artist in the first place - ? but I doubt that it was a pseudonym , as the vocal styling / phrasing on the two sides is unlike other females in the Chess stable around the time ( believe me , for I have listened to many tracks trying to compare ) - Etta James , Mitty Collier , Koko Taylor ( though I could see KT doing it ) , Laura Lee , Sugar Pie DeSanto , Fontella Bass or Marlena Shaw .

If it was by a major female artist , and despite Chess considering " IO " being worthy to release , why was the artist given another name ?

Even though Chess was a Chicago based label , they were not averse to licensing material outside of Chicago for recording ( Etta James recorded the " Tell Mama " album at the Fame studios in Muscle Shoals , Alabama in 1967 ) . Despite the backing on the record bearing all the trademarks of being Chess' Chicago brass section , was " IO " recorded elswhere ?

It is more likely / possible that " JL " was a backing / session singer at Chess . There was a girl group - The Kolettes - on whom Chess released a recording ( " Who's That Guy " - Checker 1094 ) in 1964 ; Was " JL " one of The Kolettes ? there are vocal similarities , but " WTG " was recorded three years before " IO " .......

I hope I get to know the answer to " who is / was Joy Lovejoy " before I shuffle off this mortal coil .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert