Towanda Barnes

Guest Marisa

I have several vinyl versions of 'You don't mean it' by both Towanda and Ohio Players. I have never come accross the Towanda version on CD though. Is it available on any CDs and can anyone shed more light/info on Towanda? How much are the different pressings of 'You don't mean it worth'?

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I have several vinyl versions of 'You don't mean it' by both Towanda and Ohio Players. I have never come accross the Towanda version on CD though. Is it available on any CDs and can anyone shed more light/info on Towanda? How much are the different pressings of 'You don't mean it worth'?

Hi

I have a Studio Acetate of this, bought from Soul Bowl, many years ago.

It is double sided......Towanda_1.jpg......Not sure If It is a different version though,

as I haven't played It in years, due to It being an Acetate. I will try to do an MP3 soon.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Hi

I have a Studio Acetate of this, bought from Soul Bowl, many years ago.

It is double sided......Towanda_1.jpg......Not sure If It is a different version though,

as I haven't played It in years, due to It being an Acetate. I will try to do an MP3 soon.

I have the A & M version by Towanda which is raw compared to the version I have on -dare i say it- Grapevine. There is no indication of how much it is on JM's site and I haven't got his price guide. The Ohio players version I have on LP and 7" and is cheaply available.

It is the amazing Towanda that i'm interested in. What other tracks did she do and can anyone post them up?

Look forward to hearing this acetate :D

Social source share

2 issues on A & M - brown label issue books at £300 and is presumably rarer than the demo which books at £100. Silver label (re-issue) is at £20.

Also did "If I'm guilty"/"Oh darling" on Groovy which goes for £40.

Recorded on Maple(?) and produced one LP "Uptown" produced by Johnny Brantley who also produced amongst others the likes of Herman Hitson, Lee Moses, Sam Williams and the Chosen Few.

She is actually called Gloria Barnes but certainly recorded the A & M and Groovy stuff as Towanda.

Social source share

Marisa,

Gloria Towanda Barnes (sometimes spelt "Tiwanda") doesn't have a cd to my knowledge

Her version of "You don't mean it" on A&M as a 45 is different to the version on her album on Maple called "Gloria Barnes - Uptown ( I personally prefer the album version). Her version of "I gotta get away" on the flip of the "Love slipped through my fingers" that was pressed up on Jo-Mar is also different to the album version on Maple.

Check out these Blogs by Colin Dilnot

https://indangerousrhythm.blogspot.com/2006...-im-guilty.html

https://indangerousrhythm.blogspot.com/2005...nda-barnes.html

https://indangerousrhythm.blogspot.com/2006...ve-slipped.html

Kev

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!