Mel Torme LP question

Hi,

Just got Mel Torme Right Now LP mainly for secret agent man but has couple of other great tracks too. 

Question is does anyone know why the album is called right now but doesn't have that track on it...

Thanks Soul Spinner

Edited by Soul Spinner
mistske
Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

It was probably called 'Right Now' to reflect that Mel Torme was doing contemporary hits & bang up to date mid'60's Pop/Soul rather than the Jazz/MOR he usually performed and personally favoured(apart from 'Comin' Home Baby' his one other dip into Pop/R n'B) 'Power Of Love' is a great track on the LP-and 'Better Use Your Head' is a decent version

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Dunno. I bought this LP on Columbia myself when very young and got caught out thinking it would have the original recording of, 'Comin' Home Baby' on it only to find it was a later, inferior remake on the LP. So maybe they were still trying to somehow cash in on the hit version of that (with Right Now on b-side) a few years later? There was already been an LP called 'Comin' Home Baby' on Atlantic so that was taken....(he speculated)

Michael - 'Power of Love' is originally 7" only, I believe, not on this LP. Also had this coincidentally on UK around the same but never really rated it. The other side of that by Mel ('Dominique's Discotheque') is almost as lame as it sounds but there's a very decent indeed 'northern' version of it on one of Sarah Vaughan's LP's.

Ramble, ramble...😀

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!