soulwolf

Unreleased Sam Dees

With the lockdown, I am listening to quite a lot of  soul on the radio. Heard a track on the Marc Collins show on Solar Radio at the weekend Sam Dees -Funny, said it was unreleased dated from around  1971 recorded when at Chess. The recording was from an acetate, the original version apparently is short just over 2.30, but the version played had been extended. Marc hinted that it would make a great release on a 7 inch and I would agree, what do others think?

The show is on  Mixcloud , the track is played after Starguard Which Way is Up around 1 hour 8 Minutes -

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

It sounds a bit like Sam Dees but I'm not certain it's him. Mind you there are similarities to Fragile, Handle With Care on a couple of lines.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Daved said:

It sounds a bit like Sam Dees but I'm not certain it's him. Mind you there are similarities to Fragile, Handle With Care on a couple of lines.

That's definitely Sam, It's nice enough and there are so many Sam Fans, so I guess it will be a good seller

I have an acetate of Right In The Middle Of Falling In Love (Betty Lavette, Solaris) by Sam on Unichappel (but it's not in brilliant nick)

Sam.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

It is Sam Dees. Rod Dearlove had this as a 10" acetate and talked about it in issue #24 of his "Voices Of Shadows" magazine which came out in 1997. He also stated it was recorded in 1971. The other song on the acetate was "Found Love In My Own Backyard". 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Social source share

Look At Your Box - Source Forum

Get into the record & soul music talk

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Jo Armstead - Joshie Unreleased
    All About the SOUL by alison on Wed 18 May 2005
    • 9 / 1087
    • Johnny One Trout on 18 May 2005
    • 1 / 431
    • funky4u on 07 Dec 2005
  2. Unreleased Al Williams Track
    All About the SOUL by Guest on Fri 17 Mar 2006
    • 3 / 471
    • on 17 Mar 2006
  3. Unreleased Kent Modern Soul Single Listen
    Look At Your Box by Guest sigher the gutter snype on Mon 26 Jun 2006
    • 12 / 1782
    • sigher the gutter snype on 27 Jun 2006
  4. Val Simpson Unreleased Acetate
    All About the SOUL by Pete S on Tue 29 Mar 2005
    • 7 / 933
    • chalky on 29 Mar 2005

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.