Golden torch club.scale model

Paul holmes

Hi Jessie,yes have heard one or two versions on the topic,but I will work on the only banner I’ve seen photos of . The model it’s self is far from finished with lots of smaller details to add I’ve not included all images too! As I said because of the scale it’s a pain with interpreting all I’d like too.will post more later ,ta for your reply

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Hi Chris. Yes it has , the main balcony was over the entrance and went right across that end of the intierior .I will post more of the model that shows this .after the nighters there started Chris Burton wanted more room for the punters so an extra balcony was added over the old coffee bar area .once more all this will be incorporated in the final build

Social source share

12 hours ago, Paul holmes said:

Hi Chris. Yes it has , the main balcony was over the entrance and went right across that end of the intierior .I will post more of the model that shows this .after the nighters there started Chris Burton wanted more room for the punters so an extra balcony was added over the old coffee bar area .once more all this will be incorporated in the final build

Great stuff, what an interesting project - I'd love to see a Wigan one

Social source share

Ta ‘El Corol’  !! That’s a brilliant name there . I’ve drawn up plans for cleethorpes from 1975 where the correct colours are used.have not got interior info to finish them yet.I went ,but only used the pier not the winter gardens .it’s a long time ago and memories get muddled.anyone help there ? Also the catacombs are being looked at 

CB2922C2-0CD7-445D-BCCE-341DF57D1DE4.thumb.jpeg.0411ab7b8b74349f103784baf949096a.jpegCB2922C2-0CD7-445D-BCCE-341DF57D1DE4.thumb.jpeg.0411ab7b8b74349f103784baf949096a.jpeg

310AB7F7-45FF-495E-A58C-59A06FD4008F.jpeg

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Great work Paul, working so small is tricky but you've got the details just right.

I don't remember when the balcony was extended but I wasn't paying much attention to the finer points of interior design. I went to most of the nighters but tended to stay in one area just behind the box office and on the floor or sometimes on the main balcony.

I thought there was a raised part or balcony to the right of the stage where the DJs and a few VIPs hung out . This may have been used when there was a live act but I'm not sure now. 

I assume you've seen the very early black and white photos with the couples waltzing on the dance floor and a good view of the balcony. They were put on the Gallery section here but I couldn't find them so looked on Google Images.

Social source share

Thanks for your comments Rick. The extension of the main balcony is just my listening/reading of comments made by some people .One was that the entrance to the new part was by small stair .the rest is just me trying to interpret the comments I’ve read . I assumed this was via the stairs in the main old coffee bar area that led up to the offices ?!!

the only other areas for new part s would be over the dressing rooms via the stairs either side of the stage but this would restrict veiws of the stage !!? Am I wrong?! One of the old photos shows a very grainy image to make assume this was so .  Anyone know ?I can change this as the balcony is removable on the model .those old photos helped me draw up the plans and work on measurements. May be adding a few figures if my skills alow 

Social source share

On 18/02/2022 at 11:23, Paul holmes said:

Thanks for your comments Rick. The extension of the main balcony is just my listening/reading of comments made by some people .One was that the entrance to the new part was by small stair .the rest is just me trying to interpret the comments I’ve read . I assumed this was via the stairs in the main old coffee bar area that led up to the offices ?!!

the only other areas for new part s would be over the dressing rooms via the stairs either side of the stage but this would restrict views of the stage !!? Am I wrong?! One of the old photos shows a very grainy image to make assume this was so .  Anyone know ?I can change this as the balcony is removable on the model .those old photos helped me draw up the plans and work on measurements. May be adding a few figures if my skills allow 

Paul

The stairs to the balcony I used are the ones you've got on the right wall on the fourth photo on your first postings. I remember they were quite narrow so could have been built to get to an office rather than for public use until the balcony was extended. The other stairs for the balcony on the right were always quite congested at the bottom, you'd have to squeeze past people to get anywhere. 

Social source share

That’s my interpretation too.

I have looked back to my info library and there is a quotation from Chris Burton in blues and soul magazine,103 or there abouts . He talks of the future - quote : factuallywe are doing some rebuilding upstairs where the bar is now .we are going to extend it across the main ballroom,it will certainly add to the capacity but it will not affect the viewing of live acts.our motto has always been that acts have to be seen.

my mate has all the back copies of blues and soul so I will check them again .

the work goes on .am building chairs right now ! I wish IKEA did small sizes!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!