Contemporary Stuff

Soulsmith

I don't normally listen to anything that isn't either old or soulful. But I'm probably missing out.

Recently heard this newish track by John Legend - Save My Love, which is neither Northern nor Rare Soul, but really appeals to me. Will post below.

What do you think of it?

Anything else out there isn't Northern or Rare Soul BUT close enough to appeal to old soulies?

Col.

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I don't normally listen to anything that isn't either old or soulful. But I'm probably missing out.

Recently heard this newish track by John Legend - Save My Love, which is neither Northern nor Rare Soul, but really appeals to me. Will post below.

What do you think of it?

Anything else out there isn't Northern or Rare Soul BUT close enough to appeal to old soulies?

Col.

You need to contact Roger Williams, Doger on soul source, I'm sure he could point you to what you seek,

BH

Social source share

You need to contact Roger Williams, Doger on soul source, I'm sure he could point you to what you seek,

BH

[/quote

Cheers for that. Have heard Roger DJ many times at Stoke and like his style of play, but was hoping to get something a little different here. Finally loaded up track.

What do you think?

Social source share

I really like it (got a few funny looks the other day when it was playing in my local Boots shop and I started singing along without realising :( )

You might like this moderny thing with a familiar sample...

Sep - Thank You

14049 refosoul

Social source share

The tune is actually called "Save Room" - it uses more or less the same backing track as "Stormy" - quite popular on the Northern scene via The Supremes version a few years back.

Thanks for that. I've heard the Stormy track loads of time, but never made the connection.

Edited by Soulsmith
Social source share

I really like it (got a few funny looks the other day when it was playing in my local Boots shop and I started singing along without realising :no: )

You might like this moderny thing with a familiar sample...

Sep - Thank You

14049 refosoul

Yeah, thats the sort of thing I was looking for. Its good to have a bit of a change now & then :(

Social source share

There's a big, big world of great Soul Music out there, isn't there!

Check out "Each Day Get's Better" from the same Legend CD (sampling Four Tops "In These Changing Times" Beautifully).

As for the Sep "Thank You"... been a play of mine for a few years.

Nice!

So refreshing to read your post.....

"But I'm probably missing out"

"Anything else out there isn't Northern or Rare Soul BUT close enough to appeal to old soulies?"

Superb attitude and approach.

Oops! I can feel a 'Soul Essence' plug coming on!

:(

Sean

Social source share

I'm probably not the man for the newies that sound old, which is what I think you're after, Col. You could always check out the podcast I do now:

https://www.jellycast.com/directory/index.p...cast&id=853

You never know mate, there may be something in there you like. Just check out the modern room thread, there's plenty of good stuff always gets thrown up in the weekly postings.

Cheers

Roger

Edited by Dodger
Social source share

BH

Yep, although its not playing, but I can see its Terry McCollum.
Best new release of the year for me. Went down well in Aldershot last month & I'm going to give it a spin saturday at Bisley. Perfect.

Col.

Sean, fair chance I'll see at Soul Essence.

Roger, cheers for the pod cast, will give it a whirl.....
Social source share

There's a big, big world of great Soul Music out there, isn't there!

Check out "Each Day Get's Better" from the same Legend CD (sampling Four Tops "In These Changing Times" Beautifully).

As for the Sep "Thank You"... been a play of mine for a few years.

Nice!

So refreshing to read your post.....

"But I'm probably missing out"

"Anything else out there isn't Northern or Rare Soul BUT close enough to appeal to old soulies?"

Superb attitude and approach.

Oops! I can feel a 'Soul Essence' plug coming on!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Sean - I only heard this last week. I think it's a wicked a track - obviously many others agree. Is it difficult to find?

Peter :thumbsup:

Social source share

Sean - I only heard this last week. I think it's a wicked a track - obviously many others agree. Is it difficult to find?

Peter :thumbsup:

Hi Peter,

If you mean the 'Sep' "Thank You" track, I mentioned this on one of the Modern threads a week or two ago.

I've had it a few years from the owner and been playing it out ever since.

The demo I have is slightly different to the finished mix, which came out 'uncredited' on the end of a Chris Hill CD "Get This Party Started" (or similar).

It's still officialy 'unreleased' as the owner has struggled to get clearance on the "I'll Be Around" Riff.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

i think that there is loads of good music about if you choose to open your minds to it, just picked up a 12" by leah mc rae caled your love ( gwen's daughter) really nice soul track , loads better than that underporduced shite that roberts has recently put out like standing on solid ground etc

Social source share

Save Love - john legend -

14654 refosoul

eek.gif I was listening to this (and think it's fab... chocolately vocals... ) and my Daughter waltzed in and said "oh, lovely tune" biggrin.gif

Social source share

Can You Dig Where I'm Coming From - stimulation - don't know

14786 refosoul

The above track given to me by Jason Desmond reminds me of the original track posted here... same smokey vocals.. nice smile.gif

Soulsmith, you might be interested to hear the other stuff he gave me on the same cd... Click Here

Edited by ♫ Soulgirl ♫
Social source share

eek.gif I was listening to this (and think it's fab... chocolately vocals... ) and my Daughter waltzed in and said "oh, lovely tune" biggrin.gif

Yes, its nice when that happens. Although I'm currently trying to get in tune with my grand-children.

The Donald McCollum link from Blake is still broken. Can somebody fix pls. Its well worth hearing.

Thanks.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert