Playlist selection

Mark S
Go to solution Solved by Rick Cooper,

• Solution
On 09/12/2023 at 11:37, Mark S said:

For the last ten years I have been playing catch up with the eighties soul scene and the sounds played Chalkies Stafford  podcasts have been a great resource cheers Carl. There were so many brilliant sounds played.                                                     Many of these records were made in the sixties  Were these sounds discovered in the seventies and rejected by the DJs of the day in favour of to my ears at least more lowest common denominator danceable less soulful tunes.? Just seems to me that so many great tunes have slipped through the net 

Mark, yes some were discovered in the seventies as you say, but maybe many more weren't in the hands of DJs (or those that sold to them) or were still to be discovered from the US.

Julian B's post of 5th December in the Bostock's in Bradford Market thread is a good example of how records were found but didn't suit the type of records that were popular in clubs back then but got played in the eighties . 

A few I remember having in the early seventies that only got played later include What Can I Do- George Kirby , Can You Remember- Rhonda Davis, Special Kind of Woman - Paul Thompson  (all sold for peanuts).

However, I think some records were just never found until the 80s or 90s. No one who found Jackie Day - Naughty Boy in the early 70s wouldn't have bought it blind and then not realised it's potential. Also the acetates from US studios didn't start getting liberated until later on, those who found these could probably give more details.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I think the days of the 100 mile an hour stompers also waned in favour of a more mid tempo, even slower style. For me the 80's was a great time musically. Richard, in my opinion, put together some hitherto unbeaten sets; seamlessly mixing some extremely good 60's (newies), along side some amazing 70's records; lots of which were expensive for the time, and very collectible today.

Richard, and Martin B certainly turned me to the dark side. 🫢

Just my humble opinion.

Peter

🙂

Edited by Peter99
error
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Rick Cooper said:

Mark, yes some were discovered in the seventies as you say, but maybe many more weren't in the hands of DJs (or those that sold to them) or were still to be discovered from the US.

Julian B's post of 5th December in the Bostock's in Bradford Market thread is a good example of how records were found but didn't suit the type of records that were popular in clubs back then but got played in the eighties . 

A few I remember having in the early seventies that only got played later include What Can I Do- George Kirby , Can You Remember- Rhonda Davis, Special Kind of Woman - Paul Thompson  (all sold for peanuts).

However, I think some records were just never found until the 80s or 90s. No one who found Jackie Day - Naughty Boy in the early 70s wouldn't have bought it blind and then not realised it's potential. Also the acetates from US studios didn't start getting liberated until later on, those who found these could probably give more details.

Cheers for that Rick just read through the Bostocks thread very interesting. Never been a collector just a happy punter and never gave much thought to the processes behind my nights out.  Now I'm older find the mechanics of it all interesting 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!