The Curse Of The Bogus Four Tops

Guest Malc Burton

Once again there is publicity for a set of individuals masquerading as The " Real " Four Tops ....

The information* below states February , but the " Act " is to play again at the Majestic Suite , Mexborough , South Yorkshire , on this coming Friday , July 15th .....

If they are the " real " FT , me and my good lady are Peaches and Herb ....

The information does not list the booking agency they come from , but that agency should be ashamed putting this pantomine troup under the title of " THE REAL FOUR TOPS " .....

( * click on the link and it will take you into microsoft word , and go thru the motions to open .... )

Malc Burton

Four_Tops.doc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Once again there is publicity for a set of individuals masquerading as The " Real " Four Tops ....

The information* below states February , but the " Act " is to play again at the Majestic Suite , Mexborough , South Yorkshire , on this coming Friday , July 15th .....

If they are the " real " FT , me and my good lady are Peaches and Herb ....

The information does not list the booking agency they come from , but that agency should be ashamed putting this pantomine troup under the title of " THE REAL FOUR TOPS " .....

( * click on the link and it will take you into microsoft word , and go thru the motions to open .... )

Malc Burton

Hi Malc i can not open the link , i did this info to pass on to the solicitor who is taking legal action against this fake group. over the past year I've been trying to stop this group from what they are doing.

Edited by hitsville chalky
Social source share

Hi Y'all

We have booked these guys for a club reunion in November, on the strength of their performance the last time we booked them (about three years ago). At the time they billed themselves as "The American Four Tops Show" and nowhere in their publicity material did they attempt to pass themselves off as the REAL MCOY.

When we advertise we (always) will ensure that the ticket buying punters are fully aware that this a tribute act and not the real thing.

Having said all that, they ain't that bad.

We also last year booked (from the same agency) a Supremes/Three Degrees tribute act and they were absolutely brilliant, incedible voices.

I sometimes wonder whetehr it is the venue (trying to fill the house) or the act's management/agents that seem to think that they can get away with advertsisng them as real. At the end of the day it boils down to how educated (in a soul sense) the punters are. Surely anybody with a passing interest in soul music woulf find it hard to believe that a ticket for the real ones would only cost a tenner - and seeing that they had recently been on tour with the temps (or what is left of both groups) and filled venues such as Manchester's G-Mex" what the hell are they doing in some small venue..... £10 to include buffet....

come on???? get real

Social source share

Just found a couple of links on the web - so who is advertsing them as the reak deal. The links clearly state they are tribute band.

https://www.dansatak.com/artiste.asp?StageN...Tops%20Tribute)

https://www.ukacts.com/asp/acts/index.asp?i...8&txmode=-3

https://www.lucasmanagement.biz/more_info.asp?current_id=57

this one (above) is their real management team I believe. You will note that they also advertise a drifters tribute act - it's actually the same people as the four tops tribute act but with a different set (or so I believe)

Social source share

Not on Malc's link it doesn't

but that is a piece of advertising material presumably produced by the management of the Majestik as it seems to advertise more than one date / act and just the one venue.

Look at the links I provided which are to "booking agents" so that you can actually book the act and you will see they absolutely do not try to pass themselves off as the real deal.

By the way I have no vested interest in this issue, it's just that it seems to me to be an injustice to this group of four excellent singer who DO NOT attempt to pass themselves off as the real deal. To be fair they have little or no control over the advertising material that a promoter produces in the weeks leading up to the gig as they are probably touring in another part of the country / continent

Social source share

Not on Malc's link it doesn't

THERE'S TWO TRIBUTE FOURTOPS GROUPS I CAN SEE HERE, YES ON THE AMERICAN FOURTOPS IT STATES TRIBUTE , BUT THE GROUP I'VE GOT INVOLVED IN IS VISCOUNT OLIVERS LEGENDARY FOURTOPS AND EVERY WHERE THEY ARE ADVERTISED THEY DON'T STATE TRIBUTE , SO ALL THOSE WHO LOVE MOTOWN / SOUL AND DON'T GET INVOLVED WITH NAMES OF GROUP MEMBERS ONLY SEE " THE LEGENDARY FOURTOPS " THEN THEY THINKS ITS THE REAL DEAL AND NOT TRIBUTE

Social source share

I noticed that the other 2 "acts" on the flyer (Lee Lard :thumbsup: ) were tributes, must be a typo?

No , not a typo ....

The Peter Kay and the Celine Dion are tribute acts , but the " Four Tops " are billed as the REAL FT ....

On September 28th , the same venue have The Drifters on , with a heading of " The legends that are The Drifters .... at The Majestic " ......

None of the guys in the photograph look like any of the chaps that were in the last line up of The Drifters I saw , which actually contained an original member in the line up ....

In respect of the pictures of the people doing tribute acts that are scheduled to play The Majestic ( as Rod Stewart , Abba , Chubby Brown , Robbie Williams , Meat Loaf and Frank Sinatra ) , There is an interesting photograph of the " act " for December 26th ....

Billed as " a tribute to Elton John " , the picture is of Elton John .....

I am sure Mr Dwight would have a thing to say if he knew .....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

There is an interesting photograph of the " act " for December 26th ....

Billed as " a tribute to Elto John " , the picture is of Elton John .....

I am sure Mr Dwight would have a thing to say if he knew .....

Malc Burton

FPMSL

it's...the...phoenix... club...... :thumbsup:

(sorry to interrupt a serious thread but this cracked me up)

Social source share

Guest BillBrewer

This all reminds me of going to the Clouds in Derby in the mid to late sixties and seeing the "Original" Drifters, the "Fabulous" Impressions and the "Fantastic" something or others (who eventually became the Fantastics!).

I still wonder if I really got Percy Sledge's autograph or if it was an imposter!

Social source share

This all reminds me of going to the Clouds in Derby in the mid to late sixties and seeing the "Original" Drifters, the "Fabulous" Impressions and the "Fantastic" something or others (who eventually became the Fantastics!).

I still wonder if I really got Percy Sledge's autograph or if it was an imposter!

I once saw an " Original " Drifters at The Bin Lid , Dewsbury , West Yorkshire , in the 60s , who I later learned were The Invitations ....

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest the dukester

I once saw an " Original " Drifters at The Bin Lid , Dewsbury , West Yorkshire , in the 60s , who I later learned were The Invitations ....

Malc Burton

Would that be the same Drifters who are appearing in Whitby in October :rolleyes:

Social source share

Would that be the same Drifters who are appearing in Whitby in October :rolleyes:

No .....

It will more likely be The " legendary " Drifters who are appearing at The Majestic Suite in Mexborough the previous month ...... :thumbsup:

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

and the one thing that strikes me about The Drifters is who are originals or do we class it as main popular members cause in there career as recording stars the line up has changed so different members on different singles, Johnny Moore, Clyde McPhatter, Ben E King to me are 3 members who are legends of Drifters appearing on many of there hits.

an original line up surely would consite purely of the original group when started

Social source share

The ones i saw at the Plaza in Bham in the sixties were billed as the Drifters and also the Temptations the next year they were actually the Velours who became the Fantastics

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert