The Wasington Fire?

Mark Jones

I seem to remember reading in an old 70's Blues and Soul (which I obviously borrowed being so young lol) I think about a massive warehoue fire in the 60's which virtually wiped out all off the 60's soul output from the Washington area. Apparently master tapes and vinyl were burnt to a cinder for ever, maybe this explains the little input over the years from the Washington DC area?

Anyone got any info?

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I seem to remember reading in an old 70's Blues and Soul (which I obviously borrowed being so young lol) I think about a massive warehoue fire in the 60's which virtually wiped out all off the 60's soul output from the Washington area. Apparently master tapes and vinyl were burnt to a cinder for ever, maybe this explains the little input over the years from the Washington DC area?

Anyone got any info?

Are you meaning the (Shrine Records) warehouse fire in the 1968 Martin Luther King riots where all Shrine's stock of unsold records was destroyed as a result?

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

That would be Waxie Maxies record store, where Eddie & Raynoma stored their stock when they left DC that was burnt down.....

Edited by recordwanted
Social source share

:)

Love Washington great place lovely friendly polite people can't wait to get back there

You won't think that next time your there in bed, thinking that under where you lay are melted boxes of every record ever released and maybe unreleased (who knows) on Shrine :D plus any other records from that period that was there aswell..

"sleep well" :wicked:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert