Delcos - Arabia - Help Wanted

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Can anyone supply composer and publisher details for "Arabia" by the Delcos (either version, I'm not fussy) so I can play it on the radio and try to get royalties paid?

Thanks in advance

Nick

post-1175-1213902363_thumb.jpg

Bugger...can't read them. Hang on a minute and I'll dig my Ebony copy out

Composer details are 'Juanita Henson'. no publishing details on the Ebony copy.

Extract from an article in Issue 71 of Soulful Kinda Music

In October 1962, the Delcos recorded their first release at the studio of radio station WSBT ‘Arabia / These Three Little Words’. Their manager, Juanita Henson's formed her own label to release the single; Ebony Records.

Realising that she might have a hit on her hands Juanita Henson went to Monument Records in Nashville with the hope of better promotion for the single. However Monument had other ideas.

They re-cut both tracks with the group backed by the Boots Randolph Orchestra. The new recording was a far more professional effort, but to me lost the magic of the original Released on the Showcase label (A subsidiary of Monument) in February 1963, it was too late. Any impetus gained from the October ’62 Ebony release was gone, and although the group had regional hits, and gained a lot of work from the single, it wasn’t enough to secure their future.

Incidentally, the Showcase single was released as a white demo, and then on blue, green, and red labels with the title of the flip side changed from ‘These Three Little Words’ to ‘Those Three Little Words’.

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

post-1175-1213902363_thumb.jpg

Bugger...can't read them. Hang on a minute and I'll dig my Ebony copy out

Composer details are 'Juanita Henson'. no publishing details on the Ebony copy.

Extract from an article in Issue 71 of Soulful Kinda Music

In October 1962, the Delcos recorded their first release at the studio of radio station WSBT 'Arabia / These Three Little Words'. Their manager, Juanita Henson's formed her own label to release the single; Ebony Records.

Realising that she might have a hit on her hands Juanita Henson went to Monument Records in Nashville with the hope of better promotion for the single. However Monument had other ideas.

They re-cut both tracks with the group backed by the Boots Randolph Orchestra. The new recording was a far more professional effort, but to me lost the magic of the original Released on the Showcase label (A subsidiary of Monument) in February 1963, it was too late. Any impetus gained from the October '62 Ebony release was gone, and although the group had regional hits, and gained a lot of work from the single, it wasn't enough to secure their future.

Incidentally, the Showcase single was released as a white demo, and then on blue, green, and red labels with the title of the flip side changed from 'These Three Little Words' to 'Those Three Little Words'.

Fantastic, many thanks Dave, I managed to get the publisher name with the aid of a magnifying glass (at least, it looked like "Combine Music"), sent the details to the Beeb, so hopefully some royalty will get paid.

Cheers

Nick

Social source share

• 13 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert