Small,medium Or Large ?

the 100 club v kings hall thread on the events page :ohmy: got me thinkin...what size venue do you prefer ?

if youre talkin about live concerts with me there is no competition...smaller or medium venue of under 1000 beat the big festivals everyday but what about soul nites/niters?

im torn between the small (often underground) sweaty clubs full of atmosphere even with a smallish crowd (100 and under) and the big old halls with 1000 people...amazing vibe....

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

the 100 club v kings hall thread on the events page :lol: got me thinkin...what size venue do you prefer ?

if youre talkin about live concerts with me there is no competition...smaller or medium venue of under 1000 beat the big festivals everyday but what about soul nites/niters?

im torn between the small (often underground) sweaty clubs full of atmosphere even with a smallish crowd (100 and under) and the big old halls with 1000 people...amazing vibe....

tough question! :ohmy:

Jayne.x

Social source share

I've always preferred the small venues filled with people that actually "know" or care about what they're dancing too....

I have a tendancy to get a bit claustrophobic if the venue is huge and packed

Social source share

I hate big venues...anything that holds over 500 people is too big for me...prefer around half that number...250/300ish creates a good atmosphere...remember moving my night from a small venue which held around 200/50 where it was full and a great atmosphere to the Music Box in the centre of Manchester which held 900...I hated it...was just like a warehouse...we only held a few in there before we knocked it on the head.

Social source share

I hate big venues...anything that holds over 500 people is too big for me...prefer around half that number...250/300ish creates a good atmosphere...remember moving my night from a small venue which held around 200/50 where it was full and a great atmosphere to the Music Box in the centre of Manchester which held 900...I hated it...was just like a warehouse...we only held a few in there before we knocked it on the head.

I've played there, it's not a nice space is it.

Social source share

Small 400 capacity tops, playing music to those who actually want to hear something different and exciting does it for me.

Larger venues don't have the intimacy and in my experience are often are dictated by filling a large dance floor which can mean a less adventurous playlist.

Anyway back to work, today's the next to last day in my current job before I'm free and off to a new one :ohmy:

Social source share

We really like to vary it a bit - it's nice to go to something different every week. But saying that, I definitely prefer a 'full-time soulie' niter crowd, if you know what I mean. They don't go home early, and clap in the right places :ohmy: . Love watching groups of really talented dancers, and they need a bit of space usually. The big venues tend to have the sprung dancefloors, which is always good. Remember the Ritz when everyone would be stomping together and the floor was literally bouncing? Small intimate venues are more atmospheric, and if all your mates are there, plus a couple of sexy DJs, you don't need much else. Some of the best nights ever have been like that.

T x

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I love the Cleethorpes Weekender, because its the 100 club music in a large venue.

But as large as the Kings Hall is, and as great an atmosphere as the crowd generates. The music is dull and unimaginative, so I dont like it.

So for me, its down to what is played. The venue could be a chilly field outside Swindle, but if the music is great, then bingo. Thats why the 100 club keeps dragging them in. The music is the best you'll hear anywhere IMO.

I will say, for those who havent been, I think Berkeley also has it right. Amazingly good venue, and a top drawer mix of old, new, well known, forgotten about and unknown. Its taking time getting the mesage out, but I think this will soon be one of the must go to allnighters in the country.

Social source share

the 100 club v kings hall thread on the events page :lol: got me thinkin...what size venue do you prefer ?

Decided I dont care about the size of the venue, I love anywhere that has a good atmosphere and DJ's playing my favourite tunes, with a cheap bar that has no queue.

I can't think of a better venue than Kings Hall, Stoke. Though King George's Hall Blackburn is excellent too.. The Wheel and The Sink also do it for me.

If only carlsberg made soul nights..... :rolleyes:

Jayne.x

Oh, thought of a better venue - Blackpool tower!..

Social source share

Decided I dont care about the size of the venue, I love anywhere that has a good atmosphere and DJ's playing my favourite tunes, with a cheap bar that has no queue.

I can't think of a better venue than Kings Hall, Stoke. Though King George's Hall Blackburn is excellent too.. The Wheel and The Sink also do it for me.

If only carlsberg made soul nights..... :rolleyes:

Jayne.x

Oh, thought of a better venue - Blackpool tower!..

[/quote

Burnley :lol:

Social source share

Guest Carrie Mehome

I love big venues. Bigger the better - it seems more exciting and more space to dance. I've yet to visit Kings Hall and really wanna go. Blackpool last year was amazing. I felt so much adrenlenin especially when we sat on the stage to watch the dance comp. I don't mind cosy small venues but large ones seem a bit more thrilling (I sound like I'm gushing... :thumbsup: ).

Social source share

I love big venues. Bigger the better - it seems more exciting and more space to dance. I've yet to visit Kings Hall and really wanna go. Blackpool last year was amazing. I felt so much adrenlenin especially when we sat on the stage to watch the dance comp. I don't mind cosy small venues but large ones seem a bit more thrilling (I sound like I'm gushing... :lol: ).

for LARGE venues is there a better one than kings hall ??.....get up there tomorrow you wont be dissapointed !

Social source share

Guest Carrie Mehome

I would do Spacehopper (can I call you Spacehopper or will "orange bouncy ball" suffice?! :lol: ), but payday is not until the end of the month and I am skinto flinto until then! :lol:

for LARGE venues is there a better one than kings hall ??.....get up there tomorrow you wont be dissapointed !
Social source share

I love big venues. Bigger the better - it seems more exciting and more space to dance. I've yet to visit Kings Hall and really wanna go. Blackpool last year was amazing. I felt so much adrenlenin especially when we sat on the stage to watch the dance comp. I don't mind cosy small venues but large ones seem a bit more thrilling (I sound like I'm gushing... :D ).

Me too Carrie...the atmosphere at big venues are second to none...i think this is a throwback to Wigan for me..where it seemed to draw people from around the country to one central venue...and the atmosphere rocked...also all the best dancers seem to gravitate towards the bigger venues...and like you dont mind the smaller venues..as they seem to have a more intimate feel...but the bigger venues are a real dancers paradise....Delxxxx

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

love my venues smallish to medium sized,stems from the early days torch,cats, va va's seem to have that steamy slightly edgey feel.These days it's the music thats important,but love the children of the night types wether l know em or not cause they make whatever venue feel kinda real if that makes sense.Like it dark,dinghy,and lots of shenanigens lol :D

Social source share

Guest FREEBIRD

I love big venues. Bigger the better - it seems more exciting and more space to dance. I've yet to visit Kings Hall and really wanna go. Blackpool last year was amazing. I felt so much adrenlenin especially when we sat on the stage to watch the dance comp. I don't mind cosy small venues but large ones seem a bit more thrilling (I sound like I'm gushing... :rolleyes: ).

With the music being timeless I dont think you can beat those great big buildings from the past.

We spent two years trying to find some where that compares to the ball rooms, stoke etc and it is now coming into a world of its own.. keep your eyes on the lookbacks next week and see if The Opera House in Bournemouth tickles your fancy.?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!