James King - Memory

Just sorting out some of my old 12 " and came across this one , have'nt heard it in years and remember it was massive for the Scottish DJ Tom Jackson in his heyday , but you never bloody hear it nowadays !!

Does this still get played out and if not , why not ?

Great dancer and well worth a reactivation ,

:rolleyes:

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest MOLLY

Just sorting out some of my old 12 " and came across this one , have'nt heard it in years and remember it was massive for the Scottish DJ Tom Jackson in his heyday , but you never bloody hear it nowadays !!

:lol:

I recently played this out at Soulin'around, Bedford in February.And also in the Modern room at The Opera House in Bournmouth a couple of weeks later,might even play it again Saturday night. Great feel good dancer.

Best

Molly

Edited by MOLLY
Social source share

:lol:

Been playing this on and off since I got it years ago.

Still sounds good and uplifting. :lol:

Social source share

After reading this article i gave it a play great record, i then turned it over and played easy love, sounds really good,have a listen.. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I don't think Thom would knock me for saying that it wasn't particularly his discovery but I still give you props for posting this genius of a track.

It was released to the UK on Expansion, to a scene that was under attack from varying angles

The progressive Soulie of the James King era was having to get his/her head around the burgeoning crossover Modern/House sound, (sequenced beats etc), the ever present Jazz-Funk scene, alongside the tried and tested yester-year tracks that we all knew and loved and still shook a bone to..

Without rattling on, as I do, James King - 'Memory' was possibly the last of it's kind, adyed in the wool heart tugging dancer - and I feel exactly the same as you do about it.

It simply is an ass-kicking full on dancefloor protaganist of a record, a sit down if you dare track.

But - I think you should re-think your ways when it comes to bringing to the boards attention that you feel a great deal about this tune.

Don't fall for the old 'why doesn't it get played anymore' chestnut.

The way that our/your scene is run is almost a Chemistry.

Too complex to explain in one line.

So as right as you are, you are as wrong as you are correct.

Next time don't lay blame at anyones (the scene, the DJ's) doorstep for not playing JK, it is one of a million after all - just say 'How Fucking Good Is James Kings' - 'Memory'.

And we'll understand.

Social source share

I remember Southport Weekender getting a full Police raid and Thom having one of his 7"s boxes confiscated - it was taken to Warrington nick, where it stayed for nearly two years - imagine!

Thom came down our shop (we were 200 yards from Warrington Nick) the morning he was to be re-united with his box and it was quite an event.

Immasculated by the plod - feckers.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!