Total Rip-off Imo

take a look at this auction:

https://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...mMakeTrack=true

i've mailed the seller that the amount is unreasonable and stated he rip off people if he sells this 45 for the amount he's asking... in the Northern Soul Bible by Tim Brown and Martin Koppel this single is worth 75 pound and NOT 139 pound.

I hate those greedy sellers! :angry:

They are scum and don't give a damn about soul music as long as they make bucks! king.gif

Edited by moonpirate
Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

i payed £150 for mine somthing you dont see alot of. Herd rumors that the issue is rarer but proberly just a selling tactic king.gif

Social source share

Guest northwest vinyl

i've mailed the seller that the amount is unreasonable and stated he rip off people if he sells this 45 for the amount he's asking... in the Northern Soul Bible by Tim Brown and Martin Koppel this single is worth 75 pound and NOT 139 pound.

I hate those greedy sellers!  :angry:

They are scum and don't give a damn about soul music as long as they make bucks! king.gif

link

Give the guy a break -- if it is an unreasonable price, then it won't sell, and if it sells (and it has a bid), then it wasn't so unreasonable.

Social source share

you've also got to remember these are price Guieds not bibles whistling.gif

i wonder if mr brown had a copy for sale he would list it for £75 :thumbsup:

Social source share

Give the guy a break -- if it is an unreasonable price, then it won't sell, and if it sells (and it has a bid), then it wasn't so unreasonable.

link

it is unreasonable even if someone bought it. they just don't know. how can we teach them so they don't pay higher prices? whistling.gif

Social source share

you've also got to remember these are price Guieds not bibles whistling.gif

i wonder if mr brown had a copy for sale he would list it for £75 :thumbsup:

link

Herby Brown would do! I'm in!

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

it is unreasonable even if someone bought it. they just don't know. how can we teach them so they don't pay higher prices? king.gif

link

send them an email with a link to a cheaper one. gotta find one first though! whistling.gif

I do not see any harm in advising people to think twice about things. As long as the information is factual and not of someones opinion. At the end of the day whilst people without much intelligence are forking out above the odds prices it messes the whole rare soul market up for everyone else. apart from the sellers! :thumbsup:

Shane

Social source share

send them an email with a link to a cheaper one. gotta find one first though!  whistling.gif

I do not see any harm in advising people to think twice about things. As long as the information is factual and not of someones opinion. At the end of the day whilst people without much intelligence are forking out above the odds prices it messes the whole rare soul market up for everyone else. apart from the sellers!  :thumbsup:

Shane

link

thanks Shane! that's a smart answer!

Social source share

Seen a few the last twelve months or so...last one was £80 which I would have thought about right. Freddie North on same label I would have thought £150 (+) and thats rarer than RG. I think I listed one on one of Andy's list in recent months for £150.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

send them an email with a link to a cheaper one. gotta find one first though!  whistling.gif

I do not see any harm in advising people to think twice about things. As long as the information is factual and not of someones opinion. At the end of the day whilst people without much intelligence are forking out above the odds prices it messes the whole rare soul market up for everyone else. apart from the sellers!  :thumbsup:

Shane

link

Who decides it's fact? king.gif:yes:

Social source share

There is no 'right' price for old, secondhand records.

There's only what someone is prepared to pay and ebay is the most democratic forum out there (i speak btw as no particular fan of ebay).

What someone is prepared to pay is affected by the individual's circumstances and desire as much as by the apparent availability of the record.

What someone paid last week, or what Tim Brown's book says it should sell for, or what it's on so-and-so's list for is all irrelevant.

It may piss people off but that is the way it is unfortunately.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Who decides it's fact?  whistling.gif   king.gif

link

like I said, the factual part of the statement comes from proof of another 45 of the same description for sale elsewhere.

If I saw a 45 for sale on soul source that I knew my mate was bidding on ebay for I would tell him about it.

I know there isn't a 'correct' price but there is an approximate price on many 45s that exists within the scene and all who try to be part of it with regards to the supply.

I don't think my comments require a economic and moral breakdown to be honest. I am sure we have all given and received advice regarding pricing. All I am trying to say is that I see no harm in passing on information to people who you think may be paying more than they should.

Shane

:thumbsup:

Social source share

like I said, the factual part of the statement comes from proof of another 45 of the same description for sale elsewhere.

If I saw a 45 for sale on soul source that I knew my mate was bidding on ebay for I would tell him about it.

I know there isn't a 'correct' price but there is an approximate price on many 45s that exists within the scene and all who try to be part of it with regards to the supply.

I don't think my comments require a economic and moral breakdown to be honest. I am sure we have all given and received advice regarding pricing. All I am trying to say is that I see no harm in passing on information to people who you think may be paying more than they should.

Shane

:thumbsup:

link

But that proof may just be another opinion and therefore not fact and if it's an approximate price then it can't be fact just an opinion whistling.gif God I'm bored king.gif:yes:

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

But that proof may just be another opinion and therefore not fact and if it's an approximate price then it can't be fact just an opinion whistling.gif   God I'm bored  king.gif   :yes:

link

are you wishin you had gone out to chalky mate? :yes:

a price is not an opinion, its a fact. :thumbsup:

Shane

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

yes I do  :yes:

and if someone has a different price is that two facts....or two opinions king.gif   :P

see ya tomorrow hopefully  :yes:

link

two wrongs dont make a right whistling.gif

some say 'no man is an island'......I say 'what about Isle of man?' :thumbsup:

Shane

Social source share

Ehhmm..., where's Mike when you need him. Since this is not a sale, but a discussion about a sale, the "look at your box" section is the only apropriate place to discuss things such as this, cough, cough... whistling.gif "northernmod" seems to like the sellers records anyway, even if I agree that the price is way over the top. Seems like that is northernmod's problem though.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

There is no 'right' price for old, secondhand records.

There's only what someone is prepared to pay and ebay is the most democratic forum out there (i speak btw as no particular fan of ebay).

What someone is prepared to pay is affected by the individual's circumstances and desire as much as by the apparent availability of the record.

What someone paid last week, or what Tim Brown's book says it should sell for, or what it's on so-and-so's list for is all irrelevant.

It may piss people off but that is the way it is unfortunately.

link

Agree completely with these views, Ebay is open, public and the market decides for itself. If you think a record is over-priced, simple , don't buy it. I totally disagree with mailing people to say things are over-priced, if someone can't be arsed to do a bit of research before throwing thier cash around then thats thier problem.

A few examples for your perusal.....

I put a demo of Mel Williams- Burn Baby Burn onto the Bay last year, got about 3 bids and sold for about 350 ish. A couple of months ago the less rare issue was sold by a US based seller for about 650 with 17 or so bids. That is closer to Manship's guide.I have 100% feedback and live in Edinburgh so easier to buy from,no import tax,etc..

Same batch of sales as Mel W, I had a defo (daisystamp) original of Alexander Patten, issue. This failed to meet the 150 reserve. A month or so back seen one go for over 300!

Should I have been mailing all the bidders on these records bleating IT'S NOT FAIR? Don't think so. The market does decide itself, if you score, good luck to you, if it goes the other way, tough shit!

Social source share

Agree completely with these views, Ebay is open, public and the market decides for itself. If you think a record is over-priced, simple , don't buy it. I totally disagree with mailing people to say things are over-priced, if someone can't be arsed to do a bit of research before throwing thier cash around then thats thier problem.

I put a demo of Mel Williams- Burn Baby Burn  onto the Bay last year, got about 3 bids and sold for about 350 ish.  A couple of months ago the less rare issue was sold by a US based seller for about 650 with 17 or so bids. That is closer to Manship's guide.I have 100% feedback and live in Edinburgh so easier to buy from,no import tax,etc..

Same batch of sales as Mel W, I had a defo (daisystamp) original of Alexander Patten, issue. This failed to meet the 150 reserve. A month or so back seen one go for over 300!

Should I have been mailing all the bidders on these records bleating IT'S NOT FAIR? Don't think so.  The market does decide itself, if you score, good luck to you, if it goes the other way, tough shit!

link

F****** great record Burn Baby Burn Mark whistling.gif One reason not fetching what it should is it's probably not that well known to the majority of folk. Only Andy Dyson and John Philips now and then playing this down here.

Social source share

I hate those greedy sellers!  :angry:

They are scum and don't give a damn about soul music as long as they make bucks! whistling.gif

link

I think someone can't afford it so is having a paddy :thumbsup:

Like has been said so many times a record is worth exactly what the highest bidder ios prepared to pay - no more - no less.

I'll also have you know though that the seller is a very nice guy an someone I deal with quite often. I'm sure he's just selling at what he believes to be a reasonable price or what he's seen in the past. Can't be that high anyway it's got a bid...

I'm not fussed anyway got a lovely white demo for £30 off Shifty king.gif

Social source share

F****** great record Burn Baby Burn Mark  whistling.gif   One reason not fetching what it should is it's probably not that well known to the majority of folk.  Only Andy Dyson and John Philips now and then playing this down here.

link

A cracking record indeed Chalky, should have held onto it :angry: At least I still have Delilah Kennibew on Loma to remind me what the backing track is!

Social source share

I think someone can't afford it so is having a paddy whistling.gif

Like has been said so many times a record is worth exactly what the highest bidder ios prepared to pay - no more - no less.

I'll also have you know though that the seller is a very nice guy an someone I deal with quite often. I'm sure he's just selling at what he believes to be a reasonable price or what he's seen in the past. Can't be that high anyway it's got a bid...

I'm not fussed anyway got a lovely white demo for £30 off Shifty :thumbsup:

link

Don't think I've ever seen it for that price. If the buyer did his homework or just looked about he'd get one cheaper.

And Shifty must have been having a silly moment it's never been 30 quid. Sold mine for double that 12 years ago. Price hasn't altered to much since then either so I can't understand a dealer like Shifty letting it go so cheap king.gif

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest northwest vinyl

I think that seller is smart to ask for a hefty starting bid. A more typical ebay experience for a non-UK seller is to see their record sell for about half of what a UK dealer would sell it for, or less! I have had this experience more often than not. And I sold a US copy of Barbara Mills right here on Soul Source for $60, only to see it or an identical copy appear the next week on Manship's auction, and it finished at about $400 (I won't make that mistake again). So if a non-UK seller can get a decent price for his records, I say more power to 'em.

Social source share

I put a demo of Mel Williams- Burn Baby Burn  onto the Bay last year, got about 3 bids and sold for about 350 ish.  A couple of months ago the less rare issue was sold by a US based seller for about 650 with 17 or so bids. That is closer to Manship's guide.I have 100% feedback and live in Edinburgh so easier to buy from,no import tax,etc..

Should I have been mailing all the bidders on these records bleating IT'S NOT FAIR? Don't think so.  The market does decide itself, if you score, good luck to you, if it goes the other way, tough shit!

link

Spot on Mark,it`s up for sale for a reason,to make some doe.If its too dear dinnae buy it.We`ve all payed over the odds at some point and thought f**k.It`s the only way we learn.

As for somebody emailing me and saying I`m paying too much for a record they can go and kiss my a***.Unless it`s a good mate or I`m being offered another copy for cheaper.

Edited by ANDY D
Social source share

link

Look Money, People overpay for records all the time. Some sellers get multiple /high bids-because of their name first and the records second. Most e-bay buyers can't be bothered to do the research or look for same records by other sellers-They are sheep!! I honestly believe some buyers get a "boner" paying $50 for a $10-20 record and that they now have some sort of "street cred" for buying from one of the big boys.

It's a Crazy Biz for sure!

madboy aka souldrop

Social source share

Guest northwest vinyl

Look Money, People overpay for records all the time. Some sellers get multiple /high bids-because of their name first and the records second. Most e-bay buyers can't be bothered to do the research or look for same records by other sellers-They are sheep!! I honestly believe some buyers get a "boner" paying $50 for a $10-20 record and that they now have some sort of  "street cred" for buying from one of the big boys.

It's a Crazy Biz for sure!

madboy aka souldrop

link

This is exactly right. And also, part of the reason people who want records like "In My Tenament" want them is because they are prized by collectors. It isn't just about the music, no matter what anybody says.

Social source share

This is exactly right.  And also, part of the reason people who want records like "In My Tenament" want them is because they are prized by collectors.  It isn't just about the music, no matter what anybody says.

link

have to disagree on that never considered IMT to be a 'prized' record i bought it for the simple fact i like the record i would never buy a record because its 'prized' :unsure:

But i do see where your coming from :unsure:

Edited by Baz
Social source share

Guest northwest vinyl

have to disagree on that never considered IMT to be a 'prized' record i bought it for the simple fact i like the record i would never buy a record because its 'prized'  :unsure:

But i do see where your coming from :unsure:

link

I just mean it is "prized" enough for people to spend over $100 on it. I certainly don't mean to suggest that the quality of the music isn't part of the equation. It is, and IMT is a great record. :unsure:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert